• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio + Divx files = mmm mm

Brooklynman

Question

Hey guys I know you're probably tired of seeing posts like this, however I need some help. When looking for the file that I have(DivxDec.ax or divxdec.ax) It seems that I have none... Do I have to do a reinstallation of Roxio? If so, what should I remove in the list? Roxio Creator dvd? Mydvd 9.0 de? Or every thing containing roxio.. thanks

Aneal

24 answers to this question

Same thing I was thinking beerman. I also thought about it like this. The Roxio/Divx solutions seems to apply only to EMC and not the Dell versions of the program. I dont think there is a fix as yet for the dell version. I have yet to see someone who has the "DE" version of Roxio get it fixed. Im highly skeptical about the bad drive thing myself but hey, they're sending me a new drive for free, the least I could do is try.

I don't know how old your system is but if they're giving you a free drive, take it. The down side (I've got many Dells) is that the drives that come on their systems aren't always the top of the line to begin with. I usually buy my Dells with one drive and put in a second of my own of better quality.

Hope you get it working the way you want......keep us updated.

Just letting everyone know that I chatted with another rep because I had seconds thoughts about replacing the drive. It didnt seem logical. The rep I talked to agreed with me as well. He said after instructing users to delte the upper and lower files in the registry, if that doesnt work then usually its the drive that is the problem.

However, after explaining to him the conflict with avi and roxio, i explained to him that I WAS able to burn a dvd, however it was achieved after I converted the file to a MPEG. Therefore we abandonded the replacement of the drive. Until someone can figure out the fix, I guess i'll be starting my journey of converting my files to MPEG :(

Correct. They think the fact that Roxio is not recognizing the divx files are because of the the cd/dvd drive. Can someone please explain to me how that would be logical. They shipped me the replacement drive. It looks just like the drive i have in my inspiron right now(Externally i guess)

Correct. They think the fact that Roxio is not recognizing the divx files are because of the the cd/dvd drive. Can someone please explain to me how that would be logical. They shipped me the replacement drive. It looks just like the drive i have in my inspiron right now(Externally i guess)

Well, since they sent you the new drive, put it in and try it out. After you find out what it appears we all have agreed will happen (no divx support) then you can call them and thank them for the new drive and ask if anyone knows if they offer a version update that supports divx (I'm extremely doubtful).

I will say that you should post your experiences in the Dell forums as you're likely to get more info there than someone 8,000 miles away.

If you have it, it's likely to be in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared, but I'm looking in my regular retail version in Vista, not a Dell edition.

Please also be aware that there are large swaths of disk space that Vista won't let you look at.

Regards,

Brendon

Now let me try to recap here

You have a Dell OEM version of EMC

This doesn't support an external codec

You have a fault recognised by MS as being a generic Windows one

Somehow all that is Roxio's fault?

Just letting everyone know that I chatted with another rep because I had seconds thoughts about replacing the drive. It didnt seem logical. The rep I talked to agreed with me as well. He said after instructing users to delte the upper and lower files in the registry, if that doesnt work then usually its the drive that is the problem.

However, after explaining to him the conflict with avi and roxio, i explained to him that I WAS able to burn a dvd, however it was achieved after I converted the file to a MPEG. Therefore we abandonded the replacement of the drive. Until someone can figure out the fix, I guess i'll be starting my journey of converting my files to MPEG :(

Did you ask the tech if the Dell version of Roxio supports divx?

Hey everyone, I am having the same problem as "Brooklynman" I cannot see my DivxDec.ax but I see the divxdec.ax. I just got a notebook for christmas so im new at vista. When I tried burning a dvd, I see the avi file but i cannot select it. So I came here and I saw the message from "MTolman" but I still can't see the DivxDec.ax. What should I do? Thanks Rebecca

Beerman I swear. Roxio Creator DE will make me hate my inspiron. I got the drive. But the problem is, when I try uninstalling Roxio Creator and all its components, some of the apps still remain. For example. After uninstallin all the apps, I go to install the roxio creator and mydvd de and it never installs my dvd. Ironically, when I go to the list to uninstall programs, Roxio Creator tools, Roxio express laberler and roxio update manager are still in the list. I try to uninstall each of them one by one and windows returns no errors. But once i go back into the list, the 3 same apps have made their way back into the list.

And I cant install the program fully if those 3 apps are still there.

Beerman I swear. Roxio Creator DE will make me hate my inspiron. I got the drive. But the problem is, when I try uninstalling Roxio Creator and all its components, some of the apps still remain. For example. After uninstallin all the apps, I go to install the roxio creator and mydvd de and it never installs my dvd. Ironically, when I go to the list to uninstall programs, Roxio Creator tools, Roxio express laberler and roxio update manager are still in the list. I try to uninstall each of them one by one and windows returns no errors. But once i go back into the list, the 3 same apps have made their way back into the list.

And I cant install the program fully if those 3 apps are still there.

How are you uninstalling them? Have you tried following the clean install that's listed? It does make a difference.

That pretty well sums it up…

I haven't posted here in awhile but I've been fighting this battle for months. I'm actually looking through threads trying to find an answer to a current unrelated issue with HP and a Roxio OEM. A word of CAUTION. I can only speak to the issues I've had with HP but from reading your posts I'm betting it's same song different verse with Dell. ROXIO IS NOT THE PROBLEM! IT'S THE MANUFACTURER! If I were you I would go to Best Buy and let the Geek Squad help you. Believe me, each time you call customer support and get a different " technician " they are going to give you alot of "suggestions" because they don't have a real solution and each time you tweak something you just get into a deeper mess.

I finally had to wipe the hard drive and use recovery Cds to reinstall and when I did, the original Roxio OEM with all the DVD features were not included on the Recovery CD. There was a supposed upgrade to fix this at HP but surprise it's screwed.

I could write a book on this mess and yeah good luck trying to find all the nooks and crannies in Vista where it hides stuff. Good Luck

The same files that are needed (divxdec.ax & DivxDec.ax) are divx files which mean in some sort of way that Dell does support Divx. And by the way, after converting one movie (took almost 3 hours) I tried adding it to Roxio and after it adds, Roxio shuts down. I didnt even recognize my cd rom drive. I reinstalled it again because im pretty sure those same upper and lower filter files the rep told me to delete was causing the behavior.

This is the first program I've installed at least 10 times.

Hey guys I know you're probably tired of seeing posts like this, however I need some help. When looking for the file that I have(DivxDec.ax or divxdec.ax) It seems that I have none... Do I have to do a reinstallation of Roxio? If so, what should I remove in the list? Roxio Creator dvd? Mydvd 9.0 de? Or every thing containing roxio.. thanks

Aneal

If you don't have the Retail or downloaded version of EMC9, you likely don't have Divx support. Since OEM versions of EMC vary, I'm not sure which ones may or may not work with Divx. It appears by your mention of 'de', that you have an OEM version so, my best guess is that you don't have Divx support.

The second I mentioned Divx, he said Dell does not support 3rd partt programs. I knew it was coming

Bummer. There's a difference between whether Dell supports third party programs and whether the version of Roxio that's on Dell's systems will work with Divx. He took the cheap way out!

I just finished a chat with a dell rep online. Long story short, they said that my optical drive(cd/dvd drive) is deffective. So they are sending me a new one. Is it possible that the drive could be deffective? Just by seeing that it would not allow me to add the movies to Roxio? The rep had also, earlier told me to delete a file then after that did nothing, he concluded the drive was deffective. Just in case it helps anyone i'll provide the directions to delete the file that might help someone else.

Note this is only for the Dell editions of Roxio. (i.e. Roxio Creator "DE").

Also this is on the Vista OS.

Click the Start button, click Run.

In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.

Click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Click the plus sign (+) next to SYSTEM.

Click the plus sign (+) next to CurrentControlSet.

Click the plus sign (+) next to Control.

Click the plus sign (+) next to Class.

Click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} (Not the +).

On the right side of the window, click UpperFilters.

Click Edit on the menu bar. Click Delete, and then click OK.

On the right side of the window, click LowerFilters.

Click Edit on the menu bar.

Click Delete, and then click OK.

Click File, and then click Exit.

really hope this helps someone.

Same thing I was thinking beerman. I also thought about it like this. The Roxio/Divx solutions seems to apply only to EMC and not the Dell versions of the program. I dont think there is a fix as yet for the dell version. I have yet to see someone who has the "DE" version of Roxio get it fixed. Im highly skeptical about the bad drive thing myself but hey, they're sending me a new drive for free, the least I could do is try.

Archived