• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help please? :) Choppy video

sotagirl

Question

font=Arial]First let me say thank you for any help you can give, it will be appreciated.

I am using a JVC MiniDV GR-DV800 video camera with a USB cable. It has the option of a DV in/out cable. My computer is a new HP Pavilion dv6626us Entertainment Notebook it has (Windows Vista Home Premium which loads/uses Roxio without a problem) The specs are this, I hope I include all you need if not please let me know...

Centrino Core 2 Duo T5250, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100 video card(?), and 1394 firewire plug.

I hooked up the camera as instructed and attempted to import the video which is VERY clear on my camera and TV. It imported without a problem, easy software to use for a first go at it! However, the video is VERY choppy and very poor quality after import. I tried importing it on Windows movie maker, MUvee maker and Roxio, all the same result. I am going to go buy a firewire or DV cable tomorrow, but from the sounds of some of the posts it doesn't help the quality... Am I doing something wrong? Is this what my videos are doomed to look like? I am almost in tears with disappointment. Please help in any way you can. Thank you again!! :) [/font]

17 answers to this question

Now, which is the better quality?

AVI-DV

or

MPEG-2

Quality? That depends.

DV-AVI is uncompressed. As a result is works better in editors and will never deteriote

MPEG2 is compressed and must uncompress to go into an editor and then recompress when used. Over time there can be losses.

But practically speaking, at 720 X 480 the quality is not so good that many will be able to see any losses.

As time moves on, this resolution will look crude! Much of my early work (VCDs) at 352 X 240 looks pretty rough today, but it was state of art at that time!

Quality? That depends.

DV-AVI is uncompressed. As a result is works better in editors and will never deteriote

MPEG2 is compressed and must uncompress to go into an editor and then recompress when used. Over time there can be losses.

But practically speaking, at 720 X 480 the quality is not so good that many will be able to see any losses.

As time moves on, this resolution will look crude! Much of my early work (VCDs) at 352 X 240 looks pretty rough today, but it was state of art at that time!

Thanks VERY much.

Thanks VERY much.

Capture those files as DV-AVI. As James said, it is uncompressed, and editing the files is much faster than editing mpeg files.

DV-AVI files are large, so if you plan on doing a lot of video editing, get a large hard drive to store those files. If you capture in 10-15 minute increments, instead of capturing an entire tape, at one time, the files will be small enough that you can save them to DVDs once you are done editing and burning.

May I piggy back onto this thread?

What does "EMC capture" mean?

I have a similar problem. I have a sony DCR-TRV280. I use the cable that came with the camera plus I bought new usb cables. Picture looks good on the camera but comes through choppy. I've tried all of the different frame rate\import options and it is the same...though the poorer the quality import the less skipping. The quality is poor then though.

I too tried the import through windows moviemaker and save as avi, but the quality is poor...though no skipping.

I imported onto my laptop which has an older version of Roxio. No skipping, good quality...using the same cables as I had used on my main computer. Laptop doesn't have enough hard drive space though and is from my work. It however, has an actual pentium processor whereas mine has an AMD. Tell me that this isn't the only reason for the difference in quality. Or is it?

Thanks

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 547MB used, 3397MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

May I piggy back onto this thread?

What does "EMC capture" mean?

I have a similar problem. I have a sony DCR-TRV280. I use the cable that came with the camera plus I bought new usb cables. Picture looks good on the camera but comes through choppy. I've tried all of the different frame rate\import options and it is the same...though the poorer the quality import the less skipping. The quality is poor then though.

I too tried the import through windows moviemaker and save as avi, but the quality is poor...though no skipping.

I imported onto my laptop which has an older version of Roxio. No skipping, good quality...using the same cables as I had used on my main computer. Laptop doesn't have enough hard drive space though and is from my work. It however, has an actual pentium processor whereas mine has an AMD. Tell me that this isn't the only reason for the difference in quality. Or is it?

Thanks

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 547MB used, 3397MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

You need to connect that video camera, to your computer, via a firewire cable. Sony calls it iLink.

Thanks. Wish Frys or BestBuy would have told me that BEFORE I followed their advice to buy a new video card, 1 gb ram, 2 different usb cables.

My bad.

A USB cable came with the Camcorder. You need to get a good quality firewire cable with ends that matche your camera and computer ports. Mine is a 4 to 6 pin Belkin cable. The 4 pin end connects to my Sony Handycam, and the 6 pin end connects to my computer.

I paid around $37 for the cable. Best Buy would have them, but don't get a cheap one. Cheap firewire cables aren't a good alternative.

Also, you may be able to get credit on your USB cables.

font=Arial]First let me say thank you for any help you can give, it will be appreciated.

I am using a JVC MiniDV GR-DV800 video camera with a USB cable. It has the option of a DV in/out cable. My computer is a new HP Pavilion dv6626us Entertainment Notebook it has (Windows Vista Home Premium which loads/uses Roxio without a problem) The specs are this, I hope I include all you need if not please let me know...

Centrino Core 2 Duo T5250, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100 video card(?), and 1394 firewire plug.

I hooked up the camera as instructed and attempted to import the video which is VERY clear on my camera and TV. It imported without a problem, easy software to use for a first go at it! However, the video is VERY choppy and very poor quality after import. I tried importing it on Windows movie maker, MUvee maker and Roxio, all the same result. I am going to go buy a firewire or DV cable tomorrow, but from the sounds of some of the posts it doesn't help the quality... Am I doing something wrong? Is this what my videos are doomed to look like? I am almost in tears with disappointment. Please help in any way you can. Thank you again!! :) [/font]

EMC capture does not work with a USB connection, it requires a Firewire connection.

A USB cable came with the Camcorder. You need to get a good quality firewire cable with ends that matche your camera and computer ports. Mine is a 4 to 6 pin Belkin cable. The 4 pin end connects to my Sony Handycam, and the 6 pin end connects to my computer.

I paid around $37 for the cable. Best Buy would have them, but don't get a cheap one. Cheap firewire cables aren't a good alternative.

Also, you may be able to get credit on your USB cables.

Credit? How? Contact Sony? I still wonder how it worked with a usb cable to the laptop perfectly well.

Credit? How? Contact Sony? I still wonder how it worked with a usb cable to the laptop perfectly well.

I was talking about the USB cables that you got from Frys or Best Buy. If you get a firewire cable, from one of those two places, maybe they will credit you for the USB cables you didn't need. Of course, you will have to give them the USB cables.

EMC capture does not work with a USB connection, it requires a Firewire connection.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. When you say "it does not work with a USB connection" do you mean that it will not import or work at all, because it does work, it imports fine just looks horrible. Do you mean that the picture will just look bad until I get firewire? Thanks again for your help.

I don't consider getting a horrible picture "working" :rolleyes: It will not import correctly - some people have video problems other have audio or no audio at all. With firewire there should be none of those problems. You will need a firewire connection on your computer though.

True. True. Thanks alot for your help. I bought a firewire cable and it works GREEEEEAT!!!!! The picture quality is great. Thanks again!!!!

There you have it. The video quality isn't going to be there when capturing via USB. You aren't capturing as an .avi file, and even if it did, there would no doubt be many dropped frames from the slow rate of capture.

Plain and simple...if you have the ability to capture via firewire, do so.

Thanks for your reply! I got the the firewire cable, picture quality is GREEEAT now!! I AM SOOO EXCITED! Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. When you say "it does not work with a USB connection" do you mean that it will not import or work at all, because it does work, it imports fine just looks horrible. Do you mean that the picture will just look bad until I get firewire? Thanks again for your help.

There you have it. The video quality isn't going to be there when capturing via USB. You aren't capturing as an .avi file, and even if it did, there would no doubt be many dropped frames from the slow rate of capture.

Plain and simple...if you have the ability to capture via firewire, do so.

I don't consider getting a horrible picture "working" :rolleyes: It will not import correctly - some people have video problems other have audio or no audio at all. With firewire there should be none of those problems. You will need a firewire connection on your computer though.

I was talking about the USB cables that you got from Frys or Best Buy. If you get a firewire cable, from one of those two places, maybe they will credit you for the USB cables you didn't need. Of course, you will have to give them the USB cables.

Ahh good idea. Well, I went ahead and got the firewire cable. Now Roxio (video wave or input/capture) will not load. Never had that problem before. Cool program.

Any ideas?

The capture video on windows moviemaker also does not work now.

nice

Archived