• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Missing .msi files

RTS

Question

I have the "Red Box" version of Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning as follows:

Version: 9.0.554

Build: 905B54T, R01

Ser xxxxxxxxx

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 4.0.36a, 9

Module Name: Roxio Core

Version: 3.4.0

Build: 340B65B,

Every time I open Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning it immediately trys to install four files:

RecordNow Data: 148d7e6.msi

RecordNow Audio: 148d7fc.msi

RecordNow Copy: 148d7fe.msi

RecordNow Tools: 148d7ff.msi

None of these files are on the CD. What gives?

4 answers to this question

If this happened to me I would:

(1) Uninstall the software through the Control Panel Add/Remove programs menu, reboot, then try reinstalling the software with all other programs, anti-virus scanners etc. stopped. I'd take notes in case some awkward guru asks what went wrong.

(2) if that didn't work, I'd uninstall and then run the Microsoft Installer CleanUp Utility, msicuu2.exe which can be found here and then I'd reboot and reinstall

(3) if that didn't work either, I'd come back here and ask for more help.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for your help - but no Love!!!

Did a as you suggested and also did a COMPLETE uninstall including registry entries. "No luck". Only the file names have changed. An .msi file is a database of all the files, settings, and configuration information for the associated application. Apparently - these are custom build at time of instalation.

So - now what? My software is no better than a brick....

Richard

RTS,

I have the same software as you, but it isn't showing the same problem.

Those .msi files aren't on the installer CD, and I can't see them in any of the .CAB files on the CD. I have searched my hard drive, and they're not showing there as existing or deleted files from the search I've been able to make. I also can't find them mentioned in my registry.

The setup for this software takes a terribly long time to complete, and I think a lot of this time is spent examining your system and scripting installer files to do the installation. I don't know but I suspect these .msi files are written by the installer based on what it has found in your system. The filenames may be randomly generated, and I expect the files will be deleted after use.

That might explain why you can't find those files on the CD, but it doesn't explain what has gone wrong with the install which keeps trying to complete every time you start the suite.

If this happened to me I would:

(1) Uninstall the software through the Control Panel Add/Remove programs menu, reboot, then try reinstalling the software with all other programs, anti-virus scanners etc. stopped. I'd take notes in case some awkward guru asks what went wrong.

(2) if that didn't work, I'd uninstall and then run the Microsoft Installer CleanUp Utility, msicuu2.exe which can be found here and then I'd reboot and reinstall

(3) if that didn't work either, I'd come back here and ask for more help.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for your help - but no Love!!!

Did a as you suggested and also did a COMPLETE uninstall including registry entries. "No luck". Only the file names have changed. An .msi file is a database of all the files, settings, and configuration information for the associated application. Apparently - these are custom build at time of instalation.

So - now what? My software is no better than a brick....

Richard

Well - spent too much time on trying to get this software to work. come to find out, it isn't even the latest from Roxio. I appreciate the community forum - it's great. Too bad the Roxio software is such a piece of trash. A complete waste of money!

For those of you who need to remove this software go here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=14713. Page down until you get to post #8. Follow the instructions then run the .cmd file to get rid of Roxio ver 9 from you system.

Don't keep beating your head against the wall. Just too many people angry about Sonic and Roxio.....

Richard

Archived