• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD to DivX

DaveHK

Question

22 answers to this question

NO! No finger pointing!

I was just questioning that it had never showed up before and still harbor some doubts that nobody in the whole wide world ever tried to convert a 2+hour video into DivX before today…

In any case, for we happy users, fix is more significant that cause. Let's hope we hear something soon.

I'm having problems converting unprotected DVD movies to DivX

Using EMC8 it worked fine, I got 1 DivX file

Now with EMC10 I get the movie split across 2 files

Am I doing somthing wrong?

Hi Dave :)

I'd hate to see a 4GB DivX AVI - that would be around 10 hours of movie.

I suspect you have the "Size" wrongly set. [size does matter :)]

post-208-1199060152.jpg

This is at the bottom of the Video Copy and Convert box, and if it's set to CD-R then I expect your output DivX file would be split at 700MB.

Is this what has happened?

Regards,

Brendon

hello guys,

ive been having the same problem. i used to be able to copy all my unprotectect dvds successfully into divx formats as a single file. with roxio emc10 a movie gets split into 2 separate files and the first part of the movie is always 1.96gb. the settings are set to dvd-dual layer and the output is to the file system. i just dont understand why it does this. i reverted back to emc9. i run vista home premium. ive never had any problems with emc9 on vista and i thought emc10 would work without any glitches but i was wrong.

hope someone can advise us. thank you for your time

I did one more experiment, to check that there is no particular limit to a divx file size:

In Videowave, loaded the movie, ouput as, but this time, instead of using the preset 'divx better quality', created a template, setting to PAL standard (I'm in UK) 25fps, 720x576 and then, still using divx, clicked on advanced, (which openened the divx encoder property page) adjusted the settings of the divx encoder to high definition profile on main tab (kept the 3Mbps bit rate), extreme quality on codec tab.

This resulted in a single avi file, size 2,742,999,010 bytes of the entire movie: excellent quality!. But it took ~11 hours to encode, so not recommended unless you have a high definition divx player!

But it proves (to my satisfaction, at any rate) that the split of the avi file by Video Copy and Convert is not due to any limit on divx files, but a bug.

PS I think that the divx encoder used in this case comes with the divx files from divx.com, rather than as part of EMC 10 itself. So if you don't have the divx.com package, not sure what happens when you click on the advanced button in the template window

post-112-1199919976.png

This is an older thread but I have recently tried to convert some video's into divx and the same thing occurs in 2 different computers with one using Roxio 9 and the other using Roxio 10. They both split the files and I end up with a huge file of each split file over 2 gig. One is number 1 and the other 1.1. I didn't see anything anything in this thread that solved the problem. Why the split and why the huge file for a divx file. thanks

Xcaliber8008,

What size in BYTES is that first file each time? [is it always same size?] If you right-click on the file and look at Properties Windows should show the exact size.

I'm interested to know if it's 2,147,450,880 bytes.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Dave :)

I'd hate to see a 4GB DivX AVI - that would be around 10 hours of movie.

I suspect you have the "Size" wrongly set. [size does matter :)]

post-208-1199060152.jpg

This is at the bottom of the Video Copy and Convert box, and if it's set to CD-R then I expect your output DivX file would be split at 700MB.

Is this what has happened?

Regards,

Brendon

Ive been using earlier versions without problems. I am selecting DVD +R as the target file size. Just like before. DivX format is selected in itsdefault mode, just like before

The result is 2 files, 1 of about 1.1 gig and 1 of about 0.8 Gig. This never happened before and its a real pain

PC is a Acer 4520 laptop

AMD dual core 1.8 GHz 2 Gig Ram

Any help or ideas appreciated

One work around:

Copy the Video_TS folder from the DVD to hard drive (for convenience)

Open Videowave, click add photo/video, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder, click on VIDEO_TS.IFO, click open

A box opens, check the box for the movie. The movie loads in Videowave. Then output as divx better quality.

It generates a single divx file. this has a lower bit rate than that produced by Video Copy and Convert and is a smaller file (whole movie in 1,420,648,906 bytes).

I also tried using Video Copy and Convert, to convert to divx, but saving as .iso instead of files. But looking at the iso on a mounted drive whilst it contained only one .avi file, this was not the whole movie only the part contained in the first .avi file produced in my previous post. Yet watching the rendering, it did render the whole movie

Definitely something wrong with the divx conversion in Video Copy and Convert.

Just tried it and confirm EMC 10.

I used Video copy and convert, Video compilation tab.

Inserted an unprotected (full length ~2hours) movie DVD in my DVD player and browsed to the drive.

The file was cashed from the DVD to hard drive

selected DivX, save as file.

Two files were produced.

My Movies movie1.avi 2,047,233,864 bytes plays the first part of the movie (duration 1.05.26)

My Movies movie1.1.avi 1,635,908,720 bytes plays the second part of the movie (duration 0.52.22)

I wonder, is there some maximum size or duration for divx encoded files?

If I put both files in the now playing list of WMP, there is no break as the first finishes and the second starts

There is nothing markedly significant about where in the movie the break occurred, although it is a cut from one scene to another in the movie.

BTW I'm using NTFS format on all hard drive partitions. XP SP2

Thanks Dave, I'll be interested in the results. I've been trying hard, but can't duplicate this problem on my system.

How have you set the custom file size? Are you using the Roxio DivX or the 'real' one?

Since they seem to be two AVI files, I'm thinking you should be able to play each of them. Has the movie split at some significant place which might hint at what triggered the split?

Oh, Happy New Year too :)

Brendon

Hi again Dave,

Not knowing the file sizes I thought it was worth a try. Thank you for the extra information.

What more can you tell us about these files, please? Are they separate AVIs, or just one AVI split into two - and if it is one split AVI, how are the files named?

Brendon

Hi again Dave,

Not knowing the file sizes I thought it was worth a try. Thank you for the extra information.

What more can you tell us about these files, please? Are they separate AVIs, or just one AVI split into two - and if it is one split AVI, how are the files named?

Brendon

Brendon

Thanks for your interest

The 2 files are named Movie 1.avi and Movie 1.1.avi

File sizes are 1.9 and 1.08 Gig

As I said I am using exactly the same methods as with the earlier software version

Different PC this time using Vista

I am retrying ( same source file, ripped DVD movie)with a custom file size setting of 3 Gig

Thanks

Dave

hello Brendon,

im sorry i dont really remember the exact byte size but i assure you, each time i decode a movie into a divx file, it always splits the movie into 2 separate divx files and the first one is always 1.96GB

another thing i want to address is, in your reply to jean you said that the movie might have a high bitrate. even if this is so, how come disc copier on emc9 worked smoothly and gave me 1 movie file while emc10 works differently?

anyway, do you think you could help me understand why this is happening with emc10?

Hi Brendon,

No joy with the custom 3 Gig file size. This time the program hung at 70% complete.

This time with a different source file

I am using a DVD decrypter program that I have always used but will try another in case it has "Vista" issues

I also see similar problems cropping up in other forums

I'll keep tying

Thanks

Dave

Hello Xcaliber,

The exact size isn't so important now Jean has done some experimenting and found it did the same for him as it does for you, thank you. I suspect that if you had a huge AVI to output it would be split into multiple chunks of the same size.

What I'm trying to work out is whether it's the software in EMC10 which is splitting your output, or something new in the version of DivX that EMC10 installs. The Roxio programmers don't share their secrets with us, but if anyone can solve this it's likely to be Jean. He's an extremely competent analyst.

My comment on bitrate only bears on the size of the AVI. I'm used to dealing with bitrates that will fit a 90 or 120 minute AVI into 700 MB. The copier in EMC9 differs from that in EMC10. This is why they operate differently.

Regards,

Brendon

I did one more experiment, to check that there is no particular limit to a divx file size:

In Videowave, loaded the movie, ouput as, but this time, instead of using the preset 'divx better quality', created a template, setting to PAL standard (I'm in UK) 25fps, 720x576 and then, still using divx, clicked on advanced, (which openened the divx encoder property page) adjusted the settings of the divx encoder to high definition profile on main tab (kept the 3Mbps bit rate), extreme quality on codec tab.

This resulted in a single avi file, size 2,742,999,010 bytes of the entire movie: excellent quality!. But it took ~11 hours to encode, so not recommended unless you have a high definition divx player!

But it proves (to my satisfaction, at any rate) that the split of the avi file by Video Copy and Convert is not due to any limit on divx files, but a bug.

PS I think that the divx encoder used in this case comes with the divx files from divx.com, rather than as part of EMC 10 itself. So if you don't have the divx.com package, not sure what happens when you click on the advanced button in the template window

Thanks guys I've been out of the loop for a while but these additional comments reasure me that its not finger trouble on my part

Dave

No, not finger trouble :)

We have been quizzed as to why it has taken 5 months since release of EMC 10 for this problem to surface, but I've suggested you haven't had EMC 10 very long, and perhaps not many have been making AVIs > 2GB. However, an explanation for the bug has been sought, and you'll know when we find out.

Best regards,

Brendon

Then the second part of the question becomes how are 2 files treated on a DVD that is played in a DivX???

Will both segments play in a seamless manner or does one have to go back and start the second segment?

I don't have DivX or I would have tried it myself. But it is looking more like normal behavior so that would be the next step.

Hi Jim,

On all the DivX capable players I've tried it on, there's a brief flash of "Reading index" or similar as you go from one file to the next, and then it plays the next AVI without further intervention. I haven't found any where it plays an AVI and then waits for you to chose the next one to play.

I'm still interested if EMC10 can be made to behave like EMC9 and write a 4GB AVI file for Xcaliber, although I rarely have an AVI larger than 1.4GB myself.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived