Mydvd 8 Missing Project Tree, Other Problems

edmacke@gmail.com

Question

I just downloaded MyDVD 8 Essentials and installed w/o problem. However, the problems below have me screaming at the monitor in frustration (which, surprisingly, doesn't fix anything):

• There is no "Project View" when editing a menu. The help file and sonic.com web site show a hierarchical "project view", but I don't have that - where it's supposed to be is completely blank.

• The "New Tasks" task list only has 2 options: "Add New Movie" and "Capture". The sonic.com Essentials screen shots show 4 other options that I don't have ("Add Slideshow", etc.).

• Under the "DVD Menu" menu item, there are 14 items. I won't list them all, but no matter what I do, only 5 of these items are ever enabled.

• The buttons cannot be resized. When you click on them, the border is highlighted and the cursor changed to the East-West cursor (to indicate "drag to resize"). I drag the item to make it bigger, but when I release the cursor, nothing happens. The button cannot be resized. Oh, it can't be moved, either (same symptoms).

• There's only 3 styles??? Is this a joke, or is there something else I'm supposed to download?

I bought it based on a PC Magazine review of version 6? (Editor's Choice!), but this version 8 looks more like a beta version 0.9 of a freeware DVD authoring program! I'm very frustrated and very unhappy.

All I want to do is have a pleasant opening menu, with one button to "Play Movie" and one button for "Chapters". I DON'T THINK IT'S THAT MUCH TO ASK!!! :)

P.S. I have a DV movie created by from Movie Maker 2 (so I'm not using the movie editing functions of MyDVD). I can import the DV file into MyDVD, create chapters, and burn the result to DVD - that works fine. It's just the menu creation that is driving me nuts.

1 answer to this question

I just downloaded MyDVD 8 Essentials and installed w/o problem. However, the problems below have me screaming at the monitor in frustration (which, surprisingly, doesn't fix anything):
  • There is no "Project View" when editing a menu. The help file and sonic.com web site show a hierarchical "project view", but I don't have that - where it's supposed to be is completely blank.
  • The "New Tasks" task list only has 2 options: "Add New Movie" and "Capture". The sonic.com Essentials screen shots show 4 other options that I don't have ("Add Slideshow", etc.).
  • Under the "DVD Menu" menu item, there are 14 items. I won't list them all, but no matter what I do, only 5 of these items are ever enabled.
  • The buttons cannot be resized. When you click on them, the border is highlighted and the cursor changed to the East-West cursor (to indicate "drag to resize"). I drag the item to make it bigger, but when I release the cursor, nothing happens. The button cannot be resized. Oh, it can't be moved, either (same symptoms).
  • There's only 3 styles??? Is this a joke, or is there something else I'm supposed to download?

I bought it based on a PC Magazine review of version 6? (Editor's Choice!), but this version 8 looks more like a beta version 0.9 of a freeware DVD authoring program! I'm very frustrated and very unhappy.

All I want to do is have a pleasant opening menu, with one button to "Play Movie" and one button for "Chapters". I DON'T THINK IT'S THAT MUCH TO ASK!!! :)

P.S. I have a DV movie created by from Movie Maker 2 (so I'm not using the movie editing functions of MyDVD). I can import the DV file into MyDVD, create chapters, and burn the result to DVD - that works fine. It's just the menu creation that is driving me nuts.

First off, for info, MyDVD v6 (and earlier) were prodcts released by Sonic Solutions. Since then, Sonic purchased Roxio, and Roxio is now a division of Sonic. MyDVD 8 is the first version released under the Roxio name division of Sonic. It has had a complete re-write of the code, so it now no longer is like the prior versions of MyDVD.

As Sonic has done in the past, they have released different versions of the software, that have different levels of functionality. With MyDVD 8, there is an 'Essentials' version, and a 'Premiere' version (so far). It's not unlikely that they will release another version at some point, like a platinum or deluxe type one.

So, the 'Essentials' version is the lowest end, most limited functionality version. That's likely why you are only seeing the options/functionality you are. Even the 'Premiere' version (which is included in EMC8 Suite), does not have all of the functions listed in the help files (that's why many posters here feel they will be releasing an even higher end version). Many of the functions/features you listed are available in the Premiere version I believe. Altho the 'Play All' button and 'Chapter' button part isn't (but there are work arounds for that that have been posted).

Since this is a users forum, you can try contacting their Customer Service (links are on the left) to see if they can help you any further.

Archived