Physically Burned Disk

RJK

Question

Is it possible to burn out a DVD writer using Creator 10? I have a new Dell computer that is two months old. Last month I was using Creator 9 and during a movie burning session the drive burned a large spot in the DVD and quit. Dell replaced it with a new drive and I then installed Creator 10. Today while burning a movie, the drive seared the DVD disc all around the outside and then quit. Dell is going to replace it again. Either these drives are faulty or Roxio is doing something to cause this. What about writng speed vs the rated speed of the DVD disk? Any help would be appreciated...

6 answers to this question

I agree that it is unusual to get two faulty drives in row and that is why I was wondering about the software. From your explaination, I would have to agree that both drives were faulty. Dell has not said anything about replacing both drives. Their tech support is in India and the second person I had did not seem to care about the fact I had already replaced one drive. If it happens again, I think I will look for a better quality unit. The faulty ones are made by Samsung.

I agree that it is unusual to get two faulty drives in row and that is why I was wondering about the software. From your explaination, I would have to agree that both drives were faulty. Dell has not said anything about replacing both drives. Their tech support is in India and the second person I had did not seem to care about the fact I had already replaced one drive. If it happens again, I think I will look for a better quality unit. The faulty ones are made by Samsung.

I have an old Dell my son is using that has a Samsung in it and is still working. It does not get that much use as it has a Plextor in it as well which is used the most.

My brother called Dell with a problem last week (I knew it was video related but under warranty) and the tech had him pull out the video card, fax modem and sound card and was asking him to remove the motherboard when my brother (who knows nothing about hardware) said NO! The tech came 2 days later and told him the person he spoke to was an idiot and had no right to have him remove anything but the video card. In fact, since they sent the tech with a new motherboard, he replaced it even though it wasn't needed. DUH!

Is it possible to burn out a DVD writer using Creator 10? I have a new Dell computer that is two months old. Last month I was using Creator 9 and during a movie burning session the drive burned a large spot in the DVD and quit. Dell replaced it with a new drive and I then installed Creator 10. Today while burning a movie, the drive seared the DVD disc all around the outside and then quit. Dell is going to replace it again. Either these drives are faulty or Roxio is doing something to cause this. What about writng speed vs the rated speed of the DVD disk? Any help would be appreciated...

Never heard of it being caused by software but I guess anything could happen. But, what are the chances of both v9 & v10 doing so. More likely the drives would be my first inclination. What's Dell telling you now that they are replacing 2 drives?

To burn "a large spot" the spindle motor would have to stop rotating the disc while the laser keeps burning.

To actually "sear" a ring, the laser assembly would have to jam or lock in place while the laser kept burning.

I don't know of any way software or commands to the drive could cause these results. If there was a way, I'd be betting the RIAA would already be using it to drill holes and run rings around any music discs an owner puts near his/her computer!!

I think it would have to be hardware faults in Dell's outsourced burners, but it's unusual for a customer to get two in a row.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived