• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Moving Audio Files To Larger Hard Disk

bob_walton

Question

What is the 'best (easiest) procedure' for moving audio files to a larger hard disk on the same computer? I want to avoid such hassles as file name duplicates in Audio Central after a scan of the new disk. Thus far, I have only copied the audio files to the disk, nothing more. I'm sure some of you have encountered this when your old disk filled up. All hints and tips would be very much appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I would think if it's on the same computer you could just go into explorer and drag the whole folder to the other drive.Depending on how many files it could take a few minutes to move it.This would be ok as long as you're not using a specific file for an application that points at it.If you were then the file wouldn't play and you'd probably get some kind of file missing error message.

As far as Audio Central goes it's no longer a part of Ver8 so that wouldn't matter.It might for Media Manager but hopefully when it scanned it wouldn't find the old files and disregard them.

I would think if it's on the same computer you could just go into explorer and drag the whole folder to the other drive.Depending on how many files it could take a few minutes to move it.This would be ok as long as you're not using a specific file for an application that points at it.If you were then the file wouldn't play and you'd probably get some kind of file missing error message.

As far as Audio Central goes it's no longer a part of Ver8 so that wouldn't matter.It might for Media Manager but hopefully when it scanned it wouldn't find the old files and disregard them.

As I said above, I have already copied the entire music directory and subs over to the new disk, but have not yet scanned the E: drive files into Roxio. As of now, Roxio does not know they exist. What I want to avoid is any chance of a messy duplication, as I have over three hundred CDs, now on each drive. A comparative like concern from the old DOS days would be the accidental unziping of a huge file right into the root directory instead of the sub directory where the three hundred files should have gone. If you've ever done that, you know what a mess it was to deal with! So, that's why I am being cautious.

Archived