• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ati Aiw 9600 & Emc8

breezyseaz

Question

:) First off, I had Roxio 6 on my PC and really had no issues. However old it was it worked. Like a dork I upgraded to EMC8 using the download option.. (Have issues regarding elements, but .. thats another issue) Because I wanted to make dvd's!

So I install and seems flawless... but then I tried to make a DVD with more than 3 short movies (home video of the kids at christmas) WACK! PC reboots! OMG I thought what the heck.

This happens EVERYTIME I try to add files after 2! (the file size is ok for the disc, actually less than max room)

Ok, so I go maybe its just a fluke, Nope, happens every time. I've only been able to make one successful dvd with MyDVD and it only included 1 movie. (a large one yes)

So now I'm pissed right? Of course. So I browse the support forum here and find I AM NOT ALONE! I browse over to ATI because it seems to be an issue in these forums, Nope nothing in their help forum... duh..Pass the buck, they all do it, right?

Ok, so Now i'm wishing I didn't upgrade.

Ok, so lemme burn some data discs.. Hey I add so many (drag into project) files then BANG! You got it EMC8 crashes! Not a reboot, but just as annoying, yes? Several times It happend.

So I think well maybe installing it from the HD had something to do with it.. So I reinstall..from a burned CD I made with easy cd6... Ok, so far so good with the data disc.. It's working. YEAH!

But, I am using dvd discs. 4.7 GB, correct? Yes! So I try to add a group of folders. unreal Tournament file I've collected. Total of ALL these files is 3.94GB... OMG EMC8 spans these files to 6 (yes 6) different dvd's! WTF I say?

I all understand about the concept of the dvd isn't actually 4.7 but why in the world would it require 6 dvds to fill my order?

I'm really really sorry I didn't just get nero..

If anyone has any suggestions or anything please help.

This is my PC configuration:

K79D-400 MAX MOBO

SEMPRON 2600+ @ 1.84

150gb RAM

ATI AIW 9600 (current drivers)

WD 120Gig HD Fat32(split D & E drive)<- Video files & EMC8 & Programs etc.

Maxtor 120 Gig HD (Split F NTFS & G Fat32 drive) <-Video files

WD 15G HD Fat32 (C drive)

LITE-ON dvdrw sohw-8

Also,

Windows XP Home (sp2)

Zone Alarm Pro

AVG Antivirus

Windows Blinds 4.5 <- causes issues with yahoo mesenger if skinned, but have ran EMC8, MyDvd etc with it turned off) No difference.

9 answers to this question

Can you try this for me please?

Download and install the latest version of DirectX. I know you may already have it, if so then still re-download this and reinstall it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Once installed, reboot and try adding 3 videos again.

Thanks.

Ok, I will try this. I actually figured out why MY dvd creation was expanding. Wass a duh monent cause I didn;t select type of disk.. hehe lemme try the direct X dl. thanks

Ok, I will try this. I actually figured out why MY dvd creation was expanding. Wass a duh monent cause I didn;t select type of disk.. hehe lemme try the direct X dl. thanks

Thanks.. this is something we've been looking in to but only happens with ATI video cards and seems to be difficult to reproduce in house.

:huh:

I can't believe it can be this easy... I downloaded and installed DirectX. rebooted blah blah,, OMG it works! I can add as many videos as I want! .. :)

I did notice something, I had removed MMC (ATI) to see & reinstalled the drivers of my card to test the "driver" theory prior to posting here. I had forgot to reinstall MMC (media center, tv dvd etc.) I noticed I forgot only after installing the new Direct X. I Installed MMC again after confirming MyDvd was working fine.

I was worried something in the MMC software would make it flakey again, but NO it still worked fine!

I can give you a bit more information as well, I had pinnacle installed prior to my fixes, removed it have not installed it again. (It did not help) I also had issues capturing some videos from MMC software (and others) resulting in the same PCreboot issue. (it worked sometimes other times it didn't) Where as MyDvd crashed the PC everytime. I wonder if this program could have caused errorus results. It was a bundle from ATI AIW 9600 card.

I do believe I'm ok now. I did not in fact have the most current Direct X so I assume that was in fact the issue. I am of course upset with myself that I did not look into this myself, Direct X controls everything and I should have updated it first! lol

Sometimes you just need someone to have fresh eyes. Thanks so much for your help. I will of course come back and let you know if I still have this issue, but it looks good so far.

I probably will install Pinnacle at some point and if MyDvd creations suffer because of it I will let you know, because right now every thing is peachy! (but alas, I am only human and I will do things that corrupt)

I'm quite happy, at least for now ... lol

I probably will install Pinnacle at some point and if MyDvd creations suffer because of it I will let you know, because right now every thing is peachy! (but alas, I am only human and I will do things that corrupt)

I'm quite happy, at least for now ... lol

Thanks for the feedback and glad we could help...

Glad you got it working.

One other item noted was your use of FAT32 partitions on your HDs.

Unless this is absolutely needed for something, it is going to cause you grief in video work as it has a 4gb limit.

XP has a painless conversion program to take these to NTFS.

Glad you got it working.

One other item noted was your use of FAT32 partitions on your HDs.

Unless this is absolutely needed for something, it is going to cause you grief in video work as it has a 4gb limit.

XP has a painless conversion program to take these to NTFS.

Yes I was told about this as well, and that's why I set one of those partitions to NTFS (the one I capture to) I will be converting them all soon. Thanks!

Archived