• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy Audio Capture Not Working When Select Aac

kminney

Question

I have just started looking at using Easy Audio Capture to capture from my favorite internet radio station so I can play on my Ipod.

The station streams using 64K AAC

Rather than capture as MP3 (which is working) I would prefer to capture as AAC or .mpa (or whatever is the format for IPOD). I can select these other codecs by using the 'custom' option but when I hit the record button it greys out as if it is starting then after a second it return to the red record button and I see that no audio has been captured.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Maybe I only have the codecs for playback and not capture? Does anyone know the best way to check this?

thanks,

Kevin

Terry,

I see the difference now between my setup and yours, on the Capture Settings/File Format form I see that it is set to '.aac' but the 'audio format' and 'Bits per sample' values are grayed out.

I guess this means the codec is not installed. Maybe the AAC codec is not part of the Easy Media Creator 8 install.

Anyone know how to remedy this?

thanks,

Kevin

Terry,

I just used 'Shelock' to query the codecs on my system and it appears that I have AAC decoder but there is no mention of an Encoder ..

[No codecs were found broken.]

The last sentence in that WAY TOO LONG post of your query, pretty much said what needed to be said! Your post has been edited to make the thread readable.

There could be a huge difference in how the applications rip to AAC. Knowing Apple, they probably do not use DirectX or any Window's system calls so they have more control especially for DRM.

ok, point taken.

BTW I noticed in your signature that your audio card is "Conexant AMC audio (AC'97)"

AC97 is the same as my on-board audio.

I am trying to contact ASUS to see if they know of any limitations which would cause my problems, I will update this thread if I hear anything,

thanks for your help,

Kevin

Terry & Steve,

thanks for the pointers. I will check again when I get home, I will try to post a screenshot so you can see exactly what options I have and what is greyed out.

Maybe I need the 'deluxe' version to get AAC.

I wouldn't mind so much but it offered me AAC as an option so I assumed it would have worked. I would rather it not show me the option than show me it but grey out part of it, this is very frustrating.

I could try installing it on my sons XP Home computerm that was a clean install of XP a few weeks ago. Strictly speaking I only have one licensed copy but maybe it is ok to do as a quick experiment,

Kevin

I have included a link to a screenshot from EAC, here you can see that the settings for AAC are greyed out.

I checked the box for my EAC and it is labled as 'Easy Media Creator 8 Suite' p/n 223400CA Rev A 'Finished product of USA'. I cannot see any mention of AAC in the glossy notes on the box,

Kevin

EAC.jpg

I have included a link to a screenshot from EAC, here you can see that the settings for AAC are greyed out.

I checked the box for my EAC and it is labled as 'Easy Media Creator 8 Suite' p/n 223400CA Rev A 'Finished product of USA'. I cannot see any mention of AAC in the glossy notes on the box,

Kevin

EAC.jpg

I have discovered that I have the same environment as jeanrosenfeld described earlier, GSPOT tells me I have a Mainconcept decoder installed but NOT any AAC encoder.

Question is: for those who are able to encode in AAC using EAC where did the codec originate, did it come as part of the EMC8 install or from the install of some othert application?

Kevin

The last sentence in that WAY TOO LONG post of your query, pretty much said what needed to be said! Your post has been edited to make the thread readable.

grandpabruce,

thanks for editing my post, I am sorry but I didn't realise it was as long, my excuse is that it was very late at night, I should have waited till the morning, also I realise now that should have previewed it first.

Anyway,

I have now installed a AAC and .m4a capture codec for dbpoweramp. Dbpoweramp can convert my files to AAC and .ma4 with no problem but Easy Audio Capture still shows these file types as greyed out (which I assume means EAC doesn't recognise that any codec is installed).

I don't know if the dmpoweramp codecs can only beed seen by that application, I will check.

I have a registered copy of Easy Media Creator 8, I have tried to contact Roxio support but it is like a black hole. After failing to get any useful suggestions from that self help 'Roxann' I filed a case but have heard nothing.

I hope someone in this forum can help because I am banging my head against a brick wall with this at the moment,

thanks,

Kevin

<SNIP>

This has got to be a missing codec problem or a limitation of my on-card audio. It is hard to beleive that my audio device is the limitation, it is a Realtek ALC650 which is increadibly common.

I did ask Roxio support one simple question ..

"For EAC to capture in AAC do I have to install some third party codec?" .. so far I have not had a response :)

Kevin

Eventually my ticket got escallated to tier-2 and I got the news that EAC does NOT support AAC! So how come it works for some users and not for others I wonder,

Kevin

"rgonzales Unfortunately, AAC is not a supported format for EAC....Ticket Closed

04/05/2006 5:01 PM "

I have discovered that I have the same environment as jeanrosenfeld described earlier, GSPOT tells me I have a Mainconcept decoder installed but NOT any AAC encoder.

Question is: for those who are able to encode in AAC using EAC where did the codec originate, did it come as part of the EMC8 install or from the install of some othert application?

Kevin

On my system with onboard audio, my settings are greyed out like yours but not my system with a dedicated audio card has it showing fine. I've not installed any AAC codec on my own but did just try installing a few AAC codecs to see if it will work and they error out when installing. It very well may be the onboard card set up. I do have the latest drivers for the audio. I'm not a big fan of onboard audio but since it's a work system, it's all I need. You should first make sure you have the latest drivers.

Tried it and it recorded for about 5 sec before the file showed up.I save em to my desktop and then move them to a music folder when I'm done.But it did show up on the desktop after that time.

Terry,

I see the difference now between my setup and yours, on the Capture Settings/File Format form I see that it is set to '.aac' but the 'audio format' and 'Bits per sample' values are grayed out.

I guess this means the codec is not installed. Maybe the AAC codec is not part of the Easy Media Creator 8 install.

thanks,

Kevin

Terry,

thanks,

Kevin

Terry,

I just used 'Shelock' to query the codecs on my system and it appears that I have AAC decoder but there is no mention of an Encoder ..

Codec Reporting Utility Output Text

-----------------------------------

Date and Time: 13-Mar-2006 21:04:49

System Information

------------------

Operating System = Microsoft ® Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600)

CPU Descriptor = AMD Athlon XP 2600+

CPU Clock Speed = 1916 Mhz.

Total Memory = 511 Mb.

DirectX Version = 9.0c

WMI Version = 2600.0000

ACM Version = 5.00.0

Broken Codecs

-------------

[No codecs were found broken.]

Good question!I guess if it's not a supported format I wonder why it even shows in the menus at all for anyone.Strange.

It is odd. As I stated earlier, I can record and export to .aac but I just can't adjust the settings so does this mean it isn't supported.....fully? While it's not a big deal for me, I wish we could get some clarification on this.

It is odd. As I stated earlier, I can record and export to .aac but I just can't adjust the settings so does this mean it isn't supported.....fully? While it's not a big deal for me, I wish we could get some clarification on this.

I have reopened my web ticket and asked support to check again. Maybe it is a feature that Roxio planned to have but never got to work properly so the simplest thing is just to tell their customers that it isn't supported. This whole episode has been very frustrating,

Kevin

I have a registered copy of Easy Media Creator 8, I have tried to contact Roxio support but it is like a black hole. After failing to get any useful suggestions from that self help 'Roxann' I filed a case but have heard nothing.

I hope someone in this forum can help because I am banging my head against a brick wall with this at the moment,

thanks,

Kevin

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but I still haven't been able to get EAC to see that I have an AAC encoder installed.

I did open a web ticket which was promptly closed by Roxio without providing any solution. I think there must be something wrong with the web support site. I am trying again to reopen the ticket with little sucess at the moment.

Does anyone in this forum have any suggestions how I can get EAC to encode in AAC or .m4a format?

thanks,

Kevin

EMC8 has it's own AAC encoder. Have you installed a different one and trying to use it? I have no problem recording in AAC.

What type of audio card do you have? On-board or separate card? Wouldn't hurt to update the drivers if possible and make sure you have the latest DirectX.

post-49-1142865880.jpg

That's what I mean.On yours and his it's active but greyed out as far as options go.On mine and Gary's it's fully functional.On my laptop there is no aac at all.On yours it looks like onboard sound,on ours Audigy cards,on my laptop,cheesy built in.Must have something to do with the sound cards abilities,maybe?I'm not sure but this is a good teaser....lol.Kminney,do you by chance have an add-in audio card you could try?

Terry,

I don't have an add-in audio card to try unfortunately.

I did try updating the drivers last night, I felt like being brave and let 'windows find the best driver for me', unfortunately the onboard audio was broken after that!

Then I went to the ASUS supoprt site and checked if there were any new drivers, there was not. So I installed the old one off the original CD which came with my A7V8X motheroard and my audio is working again, however AAC is greyed out in EAC and it doesn't do any capturing with this setting. Even with the default setting it does not capture. I press the record button and after a few seconds it comes back and have output any file,

I still concerned that GSPOT and Sherlock shows no AAC encoder on my system, for those who can encode in AAC if you use GSPOT does it show AAC encoder on your system, if so which one?

I hear what you say about on-board vs ad-in audio board but I still wonder if the problem is a missing codec. Maybe I should ask in the ASUS forum to see if anyone else has seen this problem when trying to encode in AAC.

I still have not heard back from Roxio on my ticket which I raised over a week ago :)

Kevin

That's what I mean.On yours and his it's active but greyed out as far as options go.On mine and Gary's it's fully functional.On my laptop there is no aac at all.On yours it looks like onboard sound,on ours Audigy cards,on my laptop,cheesy built in.Must have something to do with the sound cards abilities,maybe?I'm not sure but this is a good teaser....lol.Kminney,do you by chance have an add-in audio card you could try?

I also have an Audigy 2 sound card (Dell OEM), but as I posted earler, .aac is not an option at all. This is a Dimension 8300 desktop. 9800 Pro graphics 1GB RAM. So maybe the sound card is not the whole story.

I also have an Audigy 2 sound card (Dell OEM), but as I posted earler, .aac is not an option at all. This is a Dimension 8300 desktop. 9800 Pro graphics 1GB RAM. So maybe the sound card is not the whole story.

My system is very similar to yours and it's the same here.....I can't adjust the audio format but can adjust the quality from best quality to smallest size. I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

Question is: for those who are able to encode in AAC using EAC where did the codec originate, did it come as part of the EMC8 install or from the install of some othert application? I still concerned that GSPOT and Sherlock shows no AAC encoder on my system, for those who can encode in AAC if you use GSPOT does it show AAC encoder on your system, if so which one?

Kevin, Gspot is not made for audio files, but video. As you can see by my pic below, it does not show any info on aac.

I did export a clip in aac format which plays fine in my Winamp but as expected, not in WMP or my Creative player.

post-79-1143078644.jpg

ggrussell,

I don't think the aac codec comes with EMC8. I have the complete suite installed (UK retail updated to 805B56B) and aac is not a choice shown in the Window you show. Mine only gives

.ac3

.flac

.mp3

.ogg

.wav

.wma

I think you must have an aac codec from somewhere else (I don't).

I can't insert an image as I don't have a URL to post it on. I wish this board had the facility to download from my PC. Or am I missing something?

EDIT. I have since found that Roxio does have an AAC decoder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\mcdaac.ax), which GSpot identifies as Main concept AAC Audio decoder.

But I can't see an encoder.

Not sure what it could be.I tried it using Radio Paradise which I use the 64K AAC to get.I also went to the custom settings and chose AAC.I was able to record to my hard drive no problem.When you open the custom settings,look at the general tab,does it show "record for...min" as a reasonable number?

Not sure what it could be.I tried it using Radio Paradise which I use the 64K AAC to get.I also went to the custom settings and chose AAC.I was able to record to my hard drive no problem.When you open the custom settings,look at the general tab,does it show "record for...min" as a reasonable number?

Terry, thanks for your reply. I too am trying to record from Radio Paradise, it's such a great station.

I have set the min record time to 45mins. I also tried without setting any limit to the record time and still get the same problem. Its really frustrating as MP3 works ok, but I prefer the quality of AAC,

Kevin

EMC8 has it's own AAC encoder. Have you installed a different one and trying to use it? I have no problem recording in AAC.

What type of audio card do you have? On-board or separate card? Wouldn't hurt to update the drivers if possible and make sure you have the latest DirectX.

Gary,

I see 'aac' listed under the 'File Format' pulldown, BUT the values for 'Format' and 'Bits per sample' (uder 'Audio Format' area of the screen) are greyed out, this is why I originally came to the conclusion that I didn't have an AAC encoder installed.

I then went on to download and install an AAC encoder for dbpoweramp, hoping that it would be seen by EAC, this made no difference, I was still unable to capture to AAC.

Perhaps I have the AAC encoder installed but not registered for some reason.

My system is XP Pro SP2 DX9. My audio is on-board, I have an ASUS 87V8X motherboard, I will have to check which audio chip it is when I get home. I will try updating the drivers for it.

thanks for your help,

Kevin

ggrussell,

I don't think the aac codec comes with EMC8. I have the complete suite installed (UK retail updated to 805B56B) and aac is not a choice shown in the Window you show. Mine only gives

.ac3

.flac

.mp3

.ogg

.wav

.wma

I think you must have an aac codec from somewhere else (I don't).

I can't insert an image as I don't have a URL to post it on. I wish this board had the facility to download from my PC. Or am I missing something?

EDIT. I have since found that Roxio does have an AAC decoder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\mcdaac.ax), which GSpot identifies as Main concept AAC Audio decoder.

But I can't see an encoder.

this is interesting. Maybe some of the retail builds have AAC and some don't for some reason. Mine is EMC8 full retail, for Canada/USA.

I don't have the box to hand so can't give you the product number, I will check when I get home.

Kevin

My system is very similar to yours and it's the same here.....I can't adjust the audio format but can adjust the quality from best quality to smallest size. I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

Kevin, Gspot is not made for audio files, but video. As you can see by my pic below, it does not show any info on aac.

I did export a clip in aac format which plays fine in my Winamp but as expected, not in WMP or my Creative player.

I managed to get GSPOT to report the registered audio codecs on my machine.

I did not try to query an AAC file to see what codec it would use, I have used this for video but not for audio so I take your word for it that it doesn't work.

You should be able to go into View/Installed Codecs/Audio and see whether there are any AAC codecs registered.

I will post to the ASUS forum and see if anyone can help confirm the issue is with my on-card audio. It definitely seems like this is the problem.

I am a little puzzled because when I rip a CD in Itunes I am pretty sure it encodes to AAC (mp4 container) so somehow that gets around any limitation of my on-board audio. Maybe the Roxio drivers are not as smart as Apple's,

Kevin

Gary,yours is the same as mine.You go to custom,file format .aac and Voila!!! I just can't figure out why it would show as a format choice but not let him change the options.

Ok,here's something I just noticed.On my system the encoder choice is AAC.On Gary's it is PCM.I checked mine and I can't make any other choice.kminney,do you have a choice there or is it blank?Where does this encoder come from?It could be the answer.

FYI, the new deluxe version has this on the function chart

Advanced support for H.264 (MPEG4) and AAC codecs

Don't know what advanced support means. :)

On my system with onboard audio, my settings are greyed out like yours but not my system with a dedicated audio card has it showing fine. I've not installed any AAC codec on my own but did just try installing a few AAC codecs to see if it will work and they error out when installing. It very well may be the onboard card set up. I do have the latest drivers for the audio. I'm not a big fan of onboard audio but since it's a work system, it's all I need. You should first make sure you have the latest drivers.

Ok, I'm off to find the latest drivers for my onboard audio,

thanks,

Kevin

Archived