Sony DHR-HC7 Compatibility with EMC 10

Mayday

Question

I recently purchased a HD camcorder, the Sony HDR-HC7. It records HD video onto the standard Mini DV tapes. Am considering purchasing EMC 10, but need to know how well it will handle video imports from the Sony camcorder. Will EMC 10 handle video import from this camera? The camera - computer connection is via firewire. Imports from my camcorder into Sony's supplied software produces a ".m2t" file. Will EMC 10 handle this file type? Can I convert a .m2t file to a more universally useful file type using EMC 10? Any information would be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I recently purchased a HD camcorder, the Sony HDR-HC7. It records HD video onto the standard Mini DV tapes. Am considering purchasing EMC 10, but need to know how well it will handle video imports from the Sony camcorder. Will EMC 10 handle video import from this camera? The camera - computer connection is via firewire. Imports from my camcorder into Sony's supplied software produces a ".m2t" file. Will EMC 10 handle this file type? Can I convert a .m2t file to a more universally useful file type using EMC 10? Any information would be appreciated.

This is what the Help page says about m2t files:

MPEG2 transport stream (m2t, tp, trp) Note: conversion is required prior to editing

Perhaps converting it to a DV AVI file woud be best but you could also convert it to an mpg2 files.

You will have to convert the video file to one of the supported formats. I do not believe that Roxio does it automatically but the help file is woefully lacking.

I own the SOny HDR-HC7. Media Import handles it fine although with quirks. It is still recommended to use Sony Motion Picture Browser to transfer from the tape. Sony Vegas or Vewgas Studio also does a good job.

When you add the .m2t files to Videowave or MyDVD 10, they will ask to convert the file first (just like dvr-ms or tivo files). You then select a folder for the converted file and then the converted file is added to the project.

BE AWARE, that unless you choose HD OUTPUT in Videowave, the file will be converted to standard definition. If you have a Blueray burner, MyDVD should support that in BDAV format (BDMV not supported).

Archived