• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Keeps ejecting proferred DVD-R

Ross Harvey

Question

The "Easy CD and DVD Burning" software I purchased yesterday will not let me burn an ISO image file ("...\HD-A2-2.7.iso") from my hard drive to my CD/DVD burner. Working from the software's home ("Welcome") window, I select "Copy" and then "Burn image". In the subsequent window ("Burn image to disc"), I browse my hard drive for the file to be burned, and select and enter it in the appropriate slot. I then place a new, blank DVD-R in the disc drive, and close it. The disc sub-window in the lower left after about five seconds shows "DVD-R" and "Estimate 4.4 GB Free". I then click on the "Burn Image" button whereupon the software immediately opens the disc drive door and tells me to "Please insert a blank or rewritable CD into the ...(disc) ... drive". And that's as far as I am ever able to get. How can I get this damned burning software to work?

(I should note that the HP Pavillion dv9000 I bought last July came bundled with what I believe to have been a more basic Roxio product, which did exactly the same thing. It was in an attempt to upgrade and so get past that problem that I purchased the newly-installed "Easy CD and DVD Burning" software which, it now seems, only duplicates the problem. I am, as you may imagine, quite frustrated.)

The CD/DVD playe/burner (Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P) seems to be working just fine otherwise.

Anybody got any ideas?

8 answers to this question

Dear gi7omy and cdanteek,

Thanks for the suggestion about looking for a firmware update on the DVDRW drive (although as I just bought the laptop with which it came attached last July, I would have thought it would still be up-to-date for a while yet ... but, then, things do seem to move more swiftly these days ...).

And thanks especially for the note that I should check at the Acer site; I never would have determined that on my own.

With regard to the suggestion that I try with a CD-R (as opposed to a DVD-R), I suppose I really ought to have included in my original post that, prior to attempting the burn with DVD-RW's, I had attempted it with CD-R's -- to exactly the same (non-) effect. The reason I opted for DVD's the second time around was that, when I put one of the CD-R's (onto which I had simply "dragged" the ISO file after having failed to get it to "burn" as an image file), the error message I got from the DVD player was: "The disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc."

Regardless, thanks -- and a Happy New Year! -- to all who responded with helpful advice.

Yours,

Ross Harvey

Also, to be able to drag and drop, the disc has been formatted - normal practise is NOT to format except for that one use.

Always put a fresh disc, straight from the spindle into the drive and do nothing to it

Also, to be able to drag and drop, the disc has been formatted - normal practise is NOT to format except for that one use.

Unless you're using Windows XP's built-in burning system, in which case the disc doesn't have to be formatted and it's perfectly fine to drag and drop a file you want to burn.

Confused yet? :):)

Ross, the main point is that if you copy an image file, all you get is a copy of an image file on the disc. You need to use the method which burns the contents of the image onto the disc, and the disc should be a CD.

Regards,

Brendon

Check for a firmware update for the drive - it's possible that it just isn't recognising it

Or try a different brand of disc

DVDs have a small 'info' track giving type, burn rate, etc which is read by the drive and if it doesn't recopgnise it, then you do get some strange problems

The drive is an Acer one - check on their website for firmware updates

Archived