• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Composite Video Capture

col0320

Question

Hi, I am using Roxio 10 with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NYSC/ATSC Combo card. I have hooked up a VCR to my composite port and I can see the VCR video in the Roxio Media Import window but even with the Video playing I still see a Status as "No Signal" and so the Capture Now button is greyed out. How can I get Media Import to recognise the signal that I can clearly see but it does not detect? Incidentally the input source is Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture. :angry:

10 answers to this question

Hello , I have the same issue. The VHS tape I am trying to import is actually a compilation of others I edited into one ,several years ago. The strange thing is that in the brief blank spots between copied video segments , the import window says it has a signal then ! Of course it's a blank blue screen at that point and as soon as the next clip comes up on the VHS and in the preview window , it says "no signal" again. I tried starting the capture during these intervals but then it stops when actual video shows up.

I do have a folder selected . Drivers are updated.

I am on my 4 th VCR thinking the signal was "weak " but they all do the same.

I am considering going out to buy a VCR that has an s-video output.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks, Paul

If you have other software that works, then use it. Media Import may not be compatible with every capture card out that.

Media Import works with this card (see my sig for specifics). It works with other VHS tapes in the same setup, just doesn't with a few certain tapes.

These same tapes that MI claims "No Signal" are captured with VLC using the exact same PC, same capture card, same VCR etc. All I do is close EMC9 and start VLC.

Why it doesn't work with EMC9 (Media Import) and does work with VLC is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Thanks!

Right, my SOURCE video has blank spots between the videos I had compiled together. When it is at one of those blank spots I have a blue screen on the preview area as you say , and it is at that time that the "capture" button comes on and I could click on it. As that blue screen disappears when my source comes back on , the capture button grays out and I cannot click on it. It does this with each segment throughout the tape.

I did get an amplifier this weekend , thinking it was weak signal. The amp works for cable, VHS video etc. BUT it didn't help at all.

I may just get the dig video cam as you say and get over it. It would prob work better for my capturing my old 8 and super8 films too. Prices seem to have come way down on the models without hard drive.

Thanks for your input !! . Paul

Not sure about the 'no signal', but also check to make sure you have selected a folder and filename. Without those, the Capture Now will also be grayed out.

I had the HVR-1600 briefly. When I could pick up the Hidef TV signal, I could capture fine with Media Import 10. Make sure you have selected the 'composite' INPUT in the drop list above the preview.

Hi, I am using Roxio 10 with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NYSC/ATSC Combo card. I have hooked up a VCR to my composite port and I can see the VCR video in the Roxio Media Import window but even with the Video playing I still see a Status as "No Signal" and so the Capture Now button is greyed out. How can I get Media Import to recognise the signal that I can clearly see but it does not detect? Incidentally the input source is Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture. :angry:

I just posted with a similar problem in the EMC9 capture forum.

In my case, not only is there a signal when there are "blank spots", the signal magically comes back when the VCR plays a recorded commercial. Once the recorded show is back on, I get no signal again.

I just posted with a similar problem in the EMC9 capture forum.

In my case, not only is there a signal when there are "blank spots", the signal magically comes back when the VCR plays a recorded commercial. Once the recorded show is back on, I get no signal again.

That sounds more like a hardware issue and not the software. Thanks to MPAA ALL hardware must recognize copy protection and YES some TV channels can be copy proctected especially cable and satellite.

If you know what you recorded isn't copy protected, there is still other possible explanations. 'Some' analog capture devices may 'think' the video is copy protected in certain circumstances like a weak signal or that part of a second where you stop/start a recording and two video signals may overlap.

PaulG3 - you still aren't very clear. Blank when? It sounds like you meant a blank preview in Media Import 10. Some VHS recorders I've used will display a BLUE SCREEN when the tape is BLANK which means there is no signal. That way the viewer isn't watching 'snow', but unfortunately doesn't help much when trying to capture. You need to fast forward the tape to a place you KNOW has video and do a test capture at that point. Trying to capture from the very beginning may be impossible. I gave up on analog capture years ago and bought a digital camcorder. I connected my VHS to the camcorder and recorded to digtial tape first. The camcorder wasn't as picky and I was able to get all from the beginning. Plus the quality ended up MUCH better to boot.

That sounds more like a hardware issue and not the software. Thanks to MPAA ALL hardware must recognize copy protection and YES some TV channels can be copy proctected especially cable and satellite.

If you know what you recorded isn't copy protected, there is still other possible explanations. 'Some' analog capture devices may 'think' the video is copy protected in certain circumstances like a weak signal or that part of a second where you stop/start a recording and two video signals may overlap.

Well, VLC is captures it just fine. Setup is exactly the same. The only difference is I'm not using EMC9.

I'm not sure that what was recorded from TV (via Cable box, but not a pay channel) isn't copy protected. This is clearly not HW. Media Import plays it just fine, but will not capture.

Archived