Need help with playlists and tags

Jim B

Question

I have some old cassette tapes that I have been transferring to WAV files using Roxio easy media creator suite 8 LP and tape assistant. To burn the files to disk, I use the "music disk creator" part of the suite, but first I edit the tags of each track and assign a title to it. I then use "Sure Thing CD disk labeler V5" (supplied with Memorex disk labels) to create a label. When I try to import playlist from CD, I get track numbers and not the titles. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B @ Jan 2 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I have some old cassette tapes that I have been transferring to WAV files using Roxio easy media creator suite 8 LP and tape assistant. To burn the files to disk, I use the "music disk creator" part of the suite, but first I edit the tags of each track and assign a title to it. I then use "Sure Thing CD disk labeler V5" (supplied with Memorex disk labels) to create a label. When I try to import playlist from CD, I get track numbers and not the titles. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

I suspect part of the problem is that you're expecting that your "tag" information is getting onto the Audio CD you're creating. A couple questions, are you sure you're using .WAV files and not .MP3 files? .WAV files don't really have "tag" data like .MP3 files do, though I know that at least in Music Disc Creator in EMC 9, it allows you to edit that information even for .WAV files. The "tag" information isn't getting stored in the .WAV file, as I understand it. (Actually, I don't think it's even storing it in the .MP3 files.)

Try this. Open Music Disc Creator and add one or two of your .WAV files into the project. Edit the Tag information. Now go look at the file in Windows Explorer and see what the Last Modified time/date shows. If the file was updated, it should be the current time. I think Music Disc Creator is actually storing that information as "stream data" if your hard drive is formatted for NTFS. See this pinned post for a bit more information.

That's part 1 of the problem. The next thing is that you need to be certain that you've told Music Disc Creator to write CD Text, which can only be done if you're writing in Disc-At-Once mode. I believe in version 8, you can check or uncheck the box that says, "Make Disc Read Only". That's Roxio's code for writing in Disc-At-Once mode. Make sure the box is checked. If you have the option checked to write CD-Text, then the name of the track should be written as shown in Music Disc Creator. If Music Disc Creator is showing "track1", "track2", etc., then that's what will get written, regardless of the tag info you've enteredd. That's part 2.

Part 3 assumes that "Sure Thing CD disk labeler V5" and your drive actually can read CD-Text information. If your drive is recent (it probably is) then that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about the program you're using.

So, if the moon is in the right phase, if you've checked all the right boxes, waved a chicken the right number of times in the right frame of mind, it should work. B)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. Problem solved. When I clicked on import playlist from CD in the labeler program, I was selecting the wrong source for the information. When I selected "CD text" everything worked fine

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B @ Jan 2 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thanks.

I suspect part of the problem is that you're expecting that your "tag" information is getting onto the Audio CD you're creating. A couple questions, are you sure you're using .WAV files and not .MP3 files? .WAV files don't really have "tag" data like .MP3 files do, though I know that at least in Music Disc Creator in EMC 9, it allows you to edit that information even for .WAV files. The "tag" information isn't getting stored in the .WAV file, as I understand it. (Actually, I don't think it's even storing it in the .MP3 files.)

Try this. Open Music Disc Creator and add one or two of your .WAV files into the project. Edit the Tag information. Now go look at the file in Windows Explorer and see what the Last Modified time/date shows. If the file was updated, it should be the current time. I think Music Disc Creator is actually storing that information as "stream data" if your hard drive is formatted for NTFS. See this pinned post for a bit more information.

That's part 1 of the problem. The next thing is that you need to be certain that you've told Music Disc Creator to write CD Text, which can only be done if you're writing in Disc-At-Once mode. I believe in version 8, you can check or uncheck the box that says, "Make Disc Read Only". That's Roxio's code for writing in Disc-At-Once mode. Make sure the box is checked. If you have the option checked to write CD-Text, then the name of the track should be written as shown in Music Disc Creator. If Music Disc Creator is showing "track1", "track2", etc., then that's what will get written, regardless of the tag info you've enteredd. That's part 2.

Part 3 assumes that "Sure Thing CD disk labeler V5" and your drive actually can read CD-Text information. If your drive is recent (it probably is) then that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about the program you're using.

So, if the moon is in the right phase, if you've checked all the right boxes, waved a chicken the right number of times in the right frame of mind, it should work. B)

Hope that helps!

Archived