• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Music name different

Pogo Bob

Question

I am trying to combine different CDs in to one long one after copying and making changes to the original song names. Example: Paper Doll changed to Paper Doll-Mills Brothers in the hard drive after the CD was copied to the hard drive by EMC 7 and CDDB. The name shows correct in the source box however when I add it to the project list it is now back to the original name. I can change it there but why do I have to do it twice? I like to have the artist name after each song on the title list as it's easier for an old man to remember that way.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Thanks Brendon,

I deleted all references to cddb that I could find but it is still there so from now on I will block cddb and just type in all the info just like I do for my old LPs and that way it will be what I want.

cddb does have some problems with their names as I have encountered errors compared to what the CD label says. The best one was "The Lady From 29 Palms" came through as "The Lady From 29 Psalms."

Pogo Bob

Pogo Bob,

It's a pity that EMC 7.x doesn't have a file naming structure of [title] - [artist] available for you, instead of the other way around. You could have Creator Classic do all the work for you, that way.

The answer to your question lies in what happens when you put your source CD in the drive while connected to the Internet.

(1) Gracenote's cddb fires up and the CD is checked in the database

(2) when it's recognized, the album and tracks are "named" in your audio project, and the album's details are kept in an encrypted cddb database on your hard drive for any later use

(3) when you copy tracks off to the HD for later use in a compilation, Creator puts the track details into the saved WAV or MP3 [or whatever] file. These are the details from cddb, as shown in your upper project window pane, and can't be edited by you.

(4) when you later pull selected tracks from My Music to make a compilation, the track details are read from the file contents not the file name, so you once more get what Gracenote's cddb gave you. :(

(5) only when you have the track in the bottom pane of the project window can you edit track details for burning, and that editing will only appear in the CD-Text on the disc you burn. It won't change details in the music file, or the album details in the secret encrypted cddb.db file on your hard drive.

If the [artist] - [title] format isn't useful to you, you might be better letting Creator Classic do its thing and only changing the track name when you get to stage 5 in that process. It would save doing it twice.

This hiding the results of a cddb search and not allowing editing is a pain, but Gracenote insists on it since they bought the rights to the cddb. It's not a Roxio choice.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Bob,

Yes, some can be quite funny.

You can block access to Gracenote in Creator Classic, Tools > Options > Internet and then uncheck 'Enable audio disc information download', but if you do that your tracks will show as Track 01, Track 02 etc., and when you copy them to your hard drive they'll have those names embedded. You can't edit the track names until you get them down into the bottom pane of the project.

If you're making a compilation it's going to be awkward having WAV files with multiple instances of the same track number. If you leave the cddb lookup as it is and just edit track names after stage 5, then at least your saved files are going to be easily identifiable.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived