Data Disc VS Creator Classic

Guest RCD74

Question

I normally use Data Disc to back-up my files and folders from my hard drive, however, I have read some posts about Creator Classic and decided to give it a try today. I took some picture folders, mpeg videos, iso files, etc. and created 2 discs worth of files/folders using Creator Classic. I really like how it allowed me to just add whatever size files/folders and then did the thinking for me by knowing how many discs I needed. All burned fine and I had no trouble with anything in regards to burning. However, when I put the disc back in the computer to see what was on it, it didn't show it to me the way I expected it to - like I am used to with Data Disc. My question here is what is the purpose of Creator Classic, and why must I only be able to use the disc with a computer that has EMC9 on it?? What is the difference between Data Disc and Creator Classic? Again, I am still learning the ins and outs of this software and I feel like everyday I learn something new. Sorry if I sound clueless - it is most likely b/c I am! :P

Rachel

10 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply Paul. I guess what I meant is that after putting the disc made by Creator Classic into a computer that didn't have any EMC on it, the disc wasn't "read". For instance my files/folders didn't show up. However, when I use data disc, my files and folders will show up on any computer - they are independent from having to use the EMC program. I hope I am making sense. I think what I am asking is, do I HAVE to have EMC (whatever version) on my computer to be able to retrieve my files from having burned a project in Creator Classic??

Rachel

Hmmm, I have done many discs in Creator Classic with video files and jpeg files that I've given to others without any EMC version installed and never had a problem with it. You shouldn't have to have any version of EMC or similar program installed on any computer for them to read a data disc. It's very much like a floppy that you can put in any computer and read.

I'm not sure why you are having this problem. Could it be the disc itself? Are you using a cd or dvd that can't be read by other computers?

Rachel, it sounds like maybe you spanned discs, which could be the problem. In Creator Classic, click on Data disc, and only put enough data to fill one disc, then burn. Do the same thing for the second set of data.

Bruce - That is exactly what I did!! Ok, I wil follow your directions above and add files/folders and make a data disc. I guess I will try that next time!! I guess my 2 discs are trashed then! Won't be the first time!

Rachel

Put one of the discs into the PC that wrote it and open it with Explorer.

Does it contain the $ROXIO$ folder?

IF so it should auto start the Retrieve9.exe program.

post-39-1199377840.jpg

Yes, I get the Roxio Retrieve screen. What does this mean?? When I open the same disc in a different computer (without the roxio software), nothing comes up?? So, did I do what Bruce said I did??

Rachel

Yes, I get the Roxio Retrieve screen. What does this mean?? When I open the same disc in a different computer (without the roxio software), nothing comes up?? So, did I do what Bruce said I did??

Rachel

It means that you have to run Retrieve to recover your files, it is a spanned disc project.

The discs should be readable in any Windows PC unless they are RW discs. Some older drives will not read DVD RW discs!

If the auto run doesn't start, you need to open Explorer, navigate to the $ROXIO$ folder and run Retrieve9.exe from there.

Now there is an alternative. There is only ONE file that is split between each disc. All others should be readable but that split file can only be put together using Retrieve…

Frankly I have found Data Disc, which is RecordNow based to be a far more robust program than Creator Classic ever was. All of the whistles are bells are there if you look and it avoids the voodoo of disc spanning. No one ever lost data before Disc Spanning was introduced. Now it is common…

It means that you have to run Retrieve to recover your files, it is a spanned disc project.

The discs should be readable in any Windows PC unless they are RW discs. Some older drives will not read DVD RW discs!

If the auto run doesn't start, you need to open Explorer, navigate to the $ROXIO$ folder and run Retrieve9.exe from there.

Now there is an alternative. There is only ONE file that is split between each disc. All others should be readable but that split file can only be put together using Retrieve…

Frankly I have found Data Disc, which is RecordNow based to be a far more robust program than Creator Classic ever was. All of the whistles are bells are there if you look and it avoids the voodoo of disc spanning. No one ever lost data before Disc Spanning was introduced. Now it is common…

Thanks James. Then, it is very strange that when I put the disc in a non-roxio computer, it never showed any files in the folder. It just showed up as blank. It showed that a DVD-R was in the drive, however, when I opened it up in Explorer, nothing was in there!! Very odd. I think I will go ahead and trash the 2 spanned discs, and take the advice of you, Paul, and Bruce and just burn it as a data disc. I had success that way in the past, so I should just go with it!! Thanks again!!

Rachel

When Sonic acquired Roxio some of the apps were carried over in the 'marriage' and Data Disc is basically a Sonic app while Creator Classic is a Roxio app. I like Creator Classic as it gives you a bit more control (my opinion) and I'm not sure if Data Discs allows appending discs or not as I don't use it.

Discs made in either app should have no trouble being read in other systems. I've got files saved via Creator Classic from v7 that are still very usable.

Others much more knowledgeable on the data side will hopefully post with more technical info (if that's what you want).

When Sonic acquired Roxio some of the apps were carried over in the 'marriage' and Data Disc is basically a Sonic app while Creator Classic is a Roxio app. I like Creator Classic as it gives you a bit more control (my opinion) and I'm not sure if Data Discs allows appending discs or not as I don't use it.

Discs made in either app should have no trouble being read in other systems. I've got files saved via Creator Classic from v7 that are still very usable.

Others much more knowledgeable on the data side will hopefully post with more technical info (if that's what you want).

Thanks for the reply Paul. I guess what I meant is that after putting the disc made by Creator Classic into a computer that didn't have any EMC on it, the disc wasn't "read". For instance my files/folders didn't show up. However, when I use data disc, my files and folders will show up on any computer - they are independent from having to use the EMC program. I hope I am making sense. I think what I am asking is, do I HAVE to have EMC (whatever version) on my computer to be able to retrieve my files from having burned a project in Creator Classic??

Rachel

Archived