Adding Movies to Menus

JimmyOlsen

I'm using Easy CD/DVD 6.1.1.7 for the first time. It seems fairly basic in the way you lay out video and menus. However I am trying to use a movie with audio as the background for my menu. I got it to work once before but now I'm having trouble. I have created a 30 second video w/ audio in Avid and exported it as a Quicktime reference movie. It created a MOV file with both video/audio in it and also created a seperate WAV file. When I drag the MOV onto the menu background it tells me it may not play back correctly. However I can put the movie in any other part of the DVD project and it gives me the same error message, but plays back fine. But when it's set as the menu background for some reason it slows down the video and doesn't play the audio at all. It takes about 1:20 to play back my :30 movie. The only way I can get audio to attach is to drag that WAV file in seperately but it still plays back in 30 seconds while the video takes 1:20. The perplexing part is that on a previous test project using a different movie as the menu background, it played back in the correct time with audio attached.

Can I manually change the playback length/speed on my background movie or is there a desired movie format I should be using?

I'm not that certain of the Version numbers, but if memory serves me correctly 6.1 is OEM or Basic, and 6.2 is the Platinum (full, retail) Version.

If you got the program with a burner or computer, it would be the OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] Version, and you would have to contact the OEM for how it works, since often OEM Versions are modified - generally cut-down - Versions.

If you consider moving up from Version 6, check the system requirements before buying - and in some cases, those system requirements (example : WinXP for EMC 10) are way below what you would really need to do Video work.

Lynn

Thanks for the replies. It must be the OEM version, I think it came with the computer. I'm an editor at a small TV station and I inherited this production computer, I don't know where anything came from but I think pretty much all our software (Avid Xpress Pro, the Adobe suite, Roxio, etc.) came with the computer. I know V6 is probably not ideal for what I am trying to do, but it's what I have and unfortunately there's nothing in the budget to pay for an upgrade. I'm just trying to see what I can do with this version.

I'll keep playing with it and see what I can figure out.

Can you export it as something else other than a .mov file?

You'd probably have better luck as a MPEG2 file or AVI file. That would probably get it to play back in real time and fit the 30 second default.

This is only a guess, but that warning is telling you that the program has trouble with .mov files.

As a workaround, you could probably take that .mov file into Windows Movie Maker ( included in XP) and export it as a mpeg2 or avi file.

Can you export it as something else other than a .mov file?

You'd probably have better luck as a MPEG2 file or AVI file. That would probably get it to play back in real time and fit the 30 second default.

This is only a guess, but that warning is telling you that the program has trouble with .mov files.

As a workaround, you could probably take that .mov file into Windows Movie Maker ( included in XP) and export it as a mpeg2 or avi file.

That is what I was thinking ml,.avi would be the preferred. (best quality)

I tried using AVI before on another DVD authoring program and the video that was burned onto the DVD did not play back correctly, it was jittery. Maybe I had the wrong aspect ratio. Is there a preferred ratio? I was told that the best way to export from Avid was as a QT reference movie since Avid uses QT as the basis for its video format (or so I was told). That's why I wasn't using AVI. If I can find an aspect ratio that brings the AVI into Roxio and allows it to play back correctly on the final DVD, then I'll do that.

I tried using AVI before on another DVD authoring program and the video that was burned onto the DVD did not play back correctly, it was jittery. Maybe I had the wrong aspect ratio. Is there a preferred ratio? I was told that the best way to export from Avid was as a QT reference movie since Avid uses QT as the basis for its video format (or so I was told). That's why I wasn't using AVI. If I can find an aspect ratio that brings the AVI into Roxio and allows it to play back correctly on the final DVD, then I'll do that.

Try a test clip using the suggestion that ml had using Window Movie Maker and save the file as .avi. To be more specific take the .mov clip you have already made, insert it into either Roxio VideoWave or WMM and output it to your hard drive as a .avi and then insert that into the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used Window Movie Maker for this yet, but I exported an AVI directly from Avid. The first problem I encountered was: I was trying to export a 5-minute movie (approx) as an uncompressed AVI, 720x480, 29.97fps, 48kHz. It only wrote about 50 seconds of the movie to the AVI file and then told me "maximum AVI file size reached." At that point the 50 second AVI was about 2 GB. That seems a little high. Is there a compression codec or some other option that will reduce the file size without dropping the quality of the finished movie file I'm burning to DVD?

Archived