• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDVD 9 burning to DVR-RW but not to DVD-R

delta-alpha

Question

I make some simple DVD projects using MyDVD 9, mostly comprising old VHS recordings and, when I try to burn the project, it burns fine to DVD-RW but won't burn to DVD-R. Both are Maxell DVDs. With the DVD-RW, the project is burnt to the DVD while encoding, with the two progress bars moving more or less together but, with a DVD-R, the two bars still move together but no writing to the DVD takes place. When the encoding progress bar reaches 99%, the HDD continues to run for several minutes and then just stops and nothing further happens. If I create an ISO image this will burn to the DVD-R just fine and, using Pinnacle Studio, there is no problem at all (except that the rendering takes for ever).

I have tried setting the writing speed to all the available options with no effect.

Any suggestions?

Acer Travelmate 2410

Intel Celeron 1.5GHz

Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S

768MB RAM

40GB HDD (30GB free)

Windows XP SP2

12 answers to this question

Well, I tried the same project again this morning and it failed just as described at the start of the thread.

If a software problem is reproducible, there's a chance of sorting it but, if it's not, there's very little chance.

So it's back to Pinnacle for the projects I have in hand. It may be slow but at least it works...

Thanks guys.

It would annoy me too!

I believe a burner should never be confined to a specific brand of media. Of course some low end stuff will cause trouble. – I threw out a 25 pack of no-name DVD-R's after using 10 or so. They just quite working with any of my burners.

But like you said, at least you have a solution, unexplainable but a solution none the less!

Quick search revels plenty of complaints about that drive.

You could run a repair on the software to see if it improves.

Actually your CPU is marginal and the ISO then burner route is probably the best way to do in all cases! A Celeron was never intended to run with the big dogs.

Quick search revels plenty of complaints about that drive.

You could run a repair on the software to see if it improves.

Actually your CPU is marginal and the ISO then burner route is probably the best way to do in all cases! A Celeron was never intended to run with the big dogs.

Thanks for your reply, James. I know my system's a bit marginal but I've made at least 15 2-hour VHS to DVD conversions using Pinnacle Studio with no problems at all, and using the same batch of DVD-Rs. So I didn't think the drive was an issue. But Pinnacle Studio isn't EMC9 and I realise that they may behave differently.

Actually, the ISO route isn't a big problem and I could just as easily burn to a DVD-RW and then copy it - that works ok, too. Either way is quicker than Pinnacle, which I used to leave running all night but problems like this just irk and baffle me!

Hi Guys,

You're not going to believe this (or maybe you are...) but I just burned a DVD-R successfully. It didn't work this morning in several trials after I did the repair but, this afternoon, I thought I'd have a poke around to see what was going on.

I found a very detailed log file that listed everything EMC was doing and, by repeatedly opening and closing the file, watched as things progressed. Much to my surprise, it finished the job - for the first time with a DVD-R. I also found that, with a DVD-R, it makes an ISO image first and then burns that to the DVD, so all the burning takes place after the encoding whereas, with a DVD-RW, it encodes directly to the DVD. That leads me to think that the drive is not an issue because when it failed with a DVD-R, it failed at the end of encoding the title and before encoding the menu - long before the burning was to start, it turns out.

I've tried several times more (without fiddling with the log file) and it succeeded every time.

I'm not aware of doing anything differently, used the same project throughout and haven't done anything to the laptop. Whether this success will be maintained, only time will tell, I suppose.

I don't think I'm going to ask what you make of that...

I can't say "problem solved" but thanks, guys, all the same.

Yes they are totally different programs with different requirements.

Did you try the repair as I suggested?

The drive is old, did you try to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it?

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by the 'software repair' - could you explain?

I did a google for the drive and there does seem to be a lot of questions and many refer to a version3 firmware but mine has version2. A number of users seem to have had new problems when they've applied this upgrade and I don't see any firmware upgrade at all on the LiteOn website (they're the makers, I understand) so I'm a bit reluctant to try it.

One thing I did try, resulting from your 'marginal' comment, was to disable all the start-up items and it burnt half an hour's video in about 10 minutes, which I thought wasn't bad - it was taking about 40 minutes per hour with all those items running. That was to a DVD-RW of course - but it still wouldn't burn anything to a DVD-R. I don't think I really expected it would!

One thing that crops up quite a bit is the brand of DVD. I wonder if it would be worth trying another brand?

Just to update those who read and/or replied to my original cry for help, I didn't give up as I suggested but sat and thought for a bit. I found a lot of references to Pinnacle in the Registry and other places, even after running their clean-up utility. I eventually wiped my HDD and re-installed Windows XP SP2 and all my software - except Pinnacle. EMC9 now works perfectly - at least for my projects. And I can still capture from my Pinnacle DVC90 - EMC9 supports it! EMC9 is actually rather good, I reckon... now!

After much playing around, I use Verbatim and TDK. Heard good things about Sony.

Avoid Memorex like a plague and Maxell to a lesser extent.

Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs – Choose Roxio, Repair option.

Ah, I see what you mean about the repair - for some reason I related what you said to the drive rather than EMC!

I've done one now (previously having done quite a few re-installs and a clean install) - makes no difference but thanks anyway. I'll try some Verbatim, I think, but it will be a day or two before I can get some. I'll post what happens in due course.

To put my problem in perspective, it's nothing like the problems some users are apparently having. At least I can make my projects - but they're only simple videos with a few cuts and a few transitions added. Still annoys me, though!!

Archived