• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD ROM No Longer Recognized After Installation of EMC9

Floyd

Question

I just installed EMC v9 and now, my CD ROM shows a Yellow Question mark next to it in Device Manager. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for it, but that didn't correct the problem. I removed the drive and put a different internal CD ROM drive in, and it also shows the Yellow Question mark next to it in Device Manager. I just uninstalled EMC v9 (that was the only thing that changed prior to the CD ROM no longer being recognized), and this still didn't resolve the problem. The CD ROM Drive did work before the installation because I installed EMC v9 from CD.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm at a loss!

Thanks

13 answers to this question

I removed the drive and put a different internal CD ROM drive in, and it also shows the Yellow Question mark next to it in Device Manager

How was the Drive Jumpered/Pinned that you removed, Master, Slave, or Cable Select? How is the drive you installed Jumpered/Pinned?

If two are set as Master or Slave on the same IDE Ribbon, you get the yellow exclamation mark in Device manager, with only one drive listed. I know I've did it before!

cd

Thanks for that link, but after installing it and restarting my computer, it didn't correct the problem. When I go into Device Manager, my CD ROM Drive is still flagged with a Yellow Question Mark.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for that link, but after installing it and restarting my computer, it didn't correct the problem. When I go into Device Manager, my CD ROM Drive is still flagged with a Yellow Question Mark.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

It this really a CD-ROM drive and not a Burner?

Delete the drive in Device Manager.

Run the PxEngine.

Reboot.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either--it is a CD ROM Burner. Again, I tried 2 different CD ROM Burners (Internal) and I have this same problem.

I did what you said--I uninstalled the device from Device Manager, ran the PXEngine, restarted the computer, and still, the drive isn't detected and Device Manager has it tagged with a yellow question mark.

I don't know if this matters, but EMC v9 is no longer installed on my computer--I uninstalled it initially when this problem first occurred. Does it need to be re-installed in order for this PXEngine program to work properly? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either--it is a CD ROM Burner. Again, I tried 2 different CD ROM Burners (Internal) and I have this same problem.

I did what you said--I uninstalled the device from Device Manager, ran the PXEngine, restarted the computer, and still, the drive isn't detected and Device Manager has it tagged with a yellow question mark.

I don't know if this matters, but EMC v9 is no longer installed on my computer--I uninstalled it initially when this problem first occurred. Does it need to be re-installed in order for this PXEngine program to work properly? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

The PX engine is for the burner. I believe it is an automated setup for getting rid of the upper and lower filters.

If you uninstall the burner, in Device Manager, and after reboot it still shows the exclamation mark, your burner may be dead. New DVD burners are relatively inexpensive, and you may be better off getting a new one.

I replaced the cable and still have the same problem. I just don't get it--the drive was working perfectly fine before I installed EMC v9. I installed it from CD and once it installed, I lost the drive.

I also tried going to the site: dougknox.cm but it redirects me to apoga.com which doesn't look helpful.

Any further suggestions?

re dougknox.com: have just tried this site again and have pasted the webaddress

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

navigating to Windows XP utilities and selecting 'Restore CD/DVD drives in Windows Explorer' and following the onscreen prompts downloads the utility. Have trued apoga.com and just get a blank screen!

Personally I would never use a utility that is going to alter my Registry from an unknown site.

MS has instructions – Here

I think I would trust those before laying my PC open to, who was that again???

Yes--I did that already. I removed the burner and installed a different one and the same thing happens. Please help!

Thanks

If you are swapping out burners and it isn't changing anything, the problem is not the software or the burner…

It is in the controller and or cable.

Time to get into the basic diagnostics that either came with your PC or are available from the manufacture.

Archived