• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CineMagic Vs Video Wave

sknis

Question

CineMagic is a great and easy way to produce a simple video project. You can select scenes and add music to get a pretty polished productions.

There are some limitations, the native audio track of the original video cannot be used and one has to be careful to balance the audio with the video lengths. PIP, aka overlays (picture in picture) cannot be used. If the video has important images near the edges of the video, then those images may not fit into the TV safe zone.

As an alternative, you could put the entire video in Video Wave and cut out the parts you don't want. This is the usual way to edit a video. You'll have the original audio track, you can use overlays, transitions, add music in addition to the native audio track and much more. You can add the video as an overlay and then resize it to fit into the TV safe zone.

If you have a lot of video that will need to be cut out, then this can be time consuming using Video Wave.

A second way of doing it is more of a hybrid to both CineMagic (scene detection) and Video Wave (multiple options for music/audio/overlays/transitions etc.

This short flash video will show how this can be accomplished. For best results, when the video starts playing, pause it until almost all of the video is downloaded -- the green progress line is almost all the way to the right. This may take 3 or 4 minutes to download.

A link to a smaller display non-narrated version is here.

Thse and other video demos here.

Feedback appreciated.

Have fun !

25 answers to this question

usually indicates a video card driver issue. Make sure you have updated drivers and the latest update to DirectX 9. Also check the Video card hardware acceleration setting that it is set to 'application controlled.'

What a difference an updated video card driver makes. I thought these machines were smart enough to keep themselves updated, but I guess we humans still have a role to play in all this. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your quick help.

Hi Jean,

I listened to your extract and I had the exact same garbled sound when I upgraded my Flash player. Once I went back, the problem disappeared. (Steve's audio comes over fine on my system.) I'll check the boards at Camtasia, maybe this is a wider spread issue, since we both experienced the exact same trouble. Thanks

karri

ETA: Didn't have to Search very far ...

The boards note this as a known bug in Flash Player V. 9.0.115.0 when playing swf files with mp3 audio. There is supposed to be a fix issued this month (January) for the production software (not the player at this time). They recommend, until the fix, to produce in flv or use a different audio format, or to play the files in a previous version. Thanks again, Jean, for pointing this out.

Based on this and other feedback, I changed the format and turned of audio enhancer. See if the current one is better (remember to refresh the browser) and loads quicker..

Based on this and other feedback, I changed the format and turned of audio enhancer. See if the current one is better (remember to refresh the browser) and loads quicker..

Perfect!! I prefer flv format anyway.

On some other posts you worried about your voice. I can assure you that it is just right for tutorials: calm, reassuring, very clear. Strongly recommend you add voice to your otheer very good tutorials!

Perfect!! I prefer flv format anyway.

On some other posts you worried about your voice. I can assure you that it is just right for tutorials: calm, reassuring, very clear. Strongly recommend you add voice to your otheer very good tutorials!

Slowly during this month. I remade the one about cutting out a section of video adding in the use to the timeline slider and the frame by frame preview.

If I get better at this, Karri and I will be expecting a little extra in our paychecks from Roxio. :o

I hope everyone knows that is a joke; we (everyone who posts) do not get paid but do this as a challenge and/or to help users.

CineMagic is a great and easy way to produce a simple video project. You can select scenes and add music to get a pretty polished productions.

There are some limitations, the native audio track of the original video cannot be used and one has to be careful to balance the audio with the video lengths. PIP, aka overlays (picture in picture) cannot be used. If the video has important images near the edges of the video, then those images may not fit into the TV safe zone.

As an alternative, you could put the entire video in Video Wave and cut out the parts you don't want. This is the usual way to edit a video. You'll have the original audio track, you can use overlays, transitions, add music in addition to the native audio track and much more. You can add the video as an overlay and then resize it to fit into the TV safe zone.

If you have a lot of video that will need to be cut out, then this can be time consuming using Video Wave.

A second way of doing it is more of a hybrid to both CineMagic (scene detection) and Video Wave (multiple options for music/audio/overlays/transitions etc.

This short flash video will show how this can be accomplished. For best results, when the video starts playing, pause it until almost all of the video is downloaded -- the green progress line is almost all the way to the right. This may take 3 or 4 minutes to download.

A link to a smaller display non-narrated version is here.

Thse and other video demos here.

Feedback appreciated.

Have fun !

I started to watch the video "Cutting Out a Section of Video" and it started out perfect Steve and your voice was great. But it got to the point where you are going to point to the folder that you want to include and the entire video just stops. I have tried backing out of the whole thing and even going clear back to my desktop and then starting all over in the forum and it still gets to that same point and then just stops.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong ? From what parts of the beginning I can see and hear it looks great.

Frank...

I started to watch the video "Cutting Out a Section of Video" and it started out perfect Steve and your voice was great. But it got to the point where you are going to point to the folder that you want to include and the entire video just stops. I have tried backing out of the whole thing and even going clear back to my desktop and then starting all over in the forum and it still gets to that same point and then just stops.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong ? From what parts of the beginning I can see and hear it looks great.

Frank...

When the video starts playing, click pause and wait for the entire thing to download; then play.

When the video starts playing, click pause and wait for the entire thing to download; then play.

Did as you suggested Steve and paused the video right at the "start" and waited till the entire video had loaded. Then clicked on play and that did the trick. What a great video Steve !! :) Your voice BTW, is terrific and has just the right tone for me. Great work !!, and it's so easy to follow. I did look at the one with the text and to me there is no comparison to the one with the voice. That's not saying text isn't good, but adding the voice really adds the finishing touches to these tutorials.

Kudo Steve & keep up the great work.

Frank...

Nice video, but I'm getting some spurious sounds. Attached extracted section, converted to low quality mp3 to reduce file size, but illustrates the artifacts.

Occurs whether playing stream on line or from downloaded file.

Is that just on my system, or in the source file?

I got similar problems with sound for Karri's photosuite TV overscan video.

Camtasiavideowave_section_low_.mp3

Look at karri uptalking the beerman! Well done! I stand corrected. :lol:

ackk, no lol I'd never uptalk the Beerman ... Truth is, I may have pilfered a bit before I poured :D

Well, maybe you should sit down Paul! I am sure Karri's beer is as good as the demos she has made :D

Thanks! :)

Nice video, but I'm getting some spurious sounds. Attached extracted section, converted to low quality mp3 to reduce file size, but illustrates the artifacts.

Occurs whether playing stream on line or from downloaded file.

Is that just on my system, or in the source file?

I got similar problems with sound for Karri's photosuite TV overscan video.

Hi Jean,

I listened to your extract and I had the exact same garbled sound when I upgraded my Flash player. Once I went back, the problem disappeared. (Steve's audio comes over fine on my system.) I'll check the boards at Camtasia, maybe this is a wider spread issue, since we both experienced the exact same trouble. Thanks

karri

ETA: Didn't have to Search very far ...

The boards note this as a known bug in Flash Player V. 9.0.115.0 when playing swf files with mp3 audio. There is supposed to be a fix issued this month (January) for the production software (not the player at this time). They recommend, until the fix, to produce in flv or use a different audio format, or to play the files in a previous version. Thanks again, Jean, for pointing this out.

Slowly during this month. I remade the one about cutting out a section of video adding in the use to the timeline slider and the frame by frame preview.

If I get better at this, Karri and I will be expecting a little extra in our paychecks from Roxio. :o

I hope everyone knows that is a joke; we (everyone who posts) do not get paid but do this as a challenge and/or to help users.

Excellent redo on the cutting sections video, Steve. Your voice adds so much quality to your already very helpful video tutorials.

hmmm, you didn't receive your bonus check yet? :rolleyes:

Great demo videos. I selected the one using Advanced Pan and Zoom and have a question. I am using EMC10 VideoWave. When trying to work with the Pan and Zoom function on a photo, the Finish and Preview thumbnails of the photo I am working with do not show up in the Pan and Zoom Editor dialog box. Nor do I get the "bounding box" that allows me to actually set up the pan sequence for the photo.

I see that the demo is working with VideoWave 9 and I am using 10. Might there be something amiss with 10, or did I not install it correctly? Advice is appreciated.

Archived