jwstanek

Production Preview

Question

I've been working with EMC for a few years now. I upgraded to 7.5 a few months ago but the problem seem to exist no matter what version I'm running.

I start Videowave and drag a video file that I've captured (either AVI or MPG) to the editor window. I can preview it in the production preview window.

If I try to split the video file to cut off part that I don't want, the production preview window goes blank and the controls are grayed out. At that point, if I delete the file from the editing window and try to drag the original back in, I can't preview it, either. This happens with any file that I try now, and some of them used to work fine. Sometimes, I don't even have to try to split the file and it happens.

If I double click on the video in the editing window, Timeline View, I get an error - "Error rendering Panel 1, Unspecified error". If I double click on the audio in the Timeline View, I also get an error - "No native audio or audio effect for the selection".

If I copy the file that won't work to another computer with EMC installed on it, the processing works just fine - I have no trouble at all.

I've reinstalled EMC several times, and tried it with and without the 7.5 upgrade.

I've defraged all of my drives - I've got lots of free space - C has 36G free, drive where the video files are has 82G free.

I've reinstalled my video and audio drivers. I don't know what else to do.

What should I do? I'm pulling out my hair! Any ideas?

jwstanek

AMD Athlon 64 3400

ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo

1G Crucial DDR PC3200

Plextor PX-716SA

ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder 8500DV

Windows XP Professional with all updates except SP2

7 answers to this question

After having many people look at my posting with no response, I was going to restore my C drive from a backup done last October. I decided to run Norton SystemWorks OneButton checkup and it found a missing ATI file (atiicdxx.dll). I found the file in another directory and copied it into the directory that SystemWorks said it was supposed to be in and now the Production Preview works and so do the other things I was trying to do! Hooray!!!

Thank you to anyone who read my posting to try to help me!!

After having many people look at my posting with no response, I was going to restore my C drive from a backup done last October. I decided to run Norton SystemWorks OneButton checkup and it found a missing ATI file (atiicdxx.dll). I found the file in another directory and copied it into the directory that SystemWorks said it was supposed to be in and now the Production Preview works and so do the other things I was trying to do! Hooray!!!

Thank you to anyone who read my posting to try to help me!!

I had read your post, but probably like most, did not know what the problem was nor did I even have anything you could try. I would have never thought of a missing dll file.

Glad you got it figured out and thank you so much for posting the fix. It might help someone else who has a similar problem or at least give them a place to start.

I may have spoke too soon, sorry. It worked the first time I started it but now it doesn't. Strange.

I had read your post, but probably like most, did not know what the problem was nor did I even have anything you could try. I would have never thought of a missing dll file.

Glad you got it figured out and thank you so much for posting the fix. It might help someone else who has a similar problem or at least give them a place to start.

I may have spoke too soon, sorry. It worked the first time I started it but now it doesn't. Strange

Okay. It seems to be working now. There were some other ATI dlls that were missing. I had to display the \Windows\System32 directory on another computer and find all the atii... files that were not on mine. I've finished the project that I couldn't even get started on yesterday and it looks good.

Okay. It seems to be working now. There were some other ATI dlls that were missing. I had to display the \Windows\System32 directory on another computer and find all the atii... files that were not on mine. I've finished the project that I couldn't even get started on yesterday and it looks good.

Congratulations on finishing your project.

I'm thinking since you're missing all sorts of ATI driver files, it may be a good idea to reinstall the entire driver package for the 8500DV. You can get it at the ATI site here.

Make sure to read the installation instructions on how to uninstall the old drivers first.

Lance

I'm thinking since you're missing all sorts of ATI driver files, it may be a good idea to reinstall the entire driver package for the 8500DV. You can get it at the ATI site here.

Make sure to read the installation instructions on how to uninstall the old drivers first.

Lance

I had done that but with the driver that I had been using, not the newest one. I had followed the instructions for deleting the old driver, and reinstalling. But since my card was older, I was concerned about trying to install a new driver that recommended updating to SP2. I'd heard from people who had a lot of problems after installing it.

Thanks.

Lance

I had actually tried downloading the newest driver, but couldn't find any instructions for deleting the old ones, so I just installed it. When it still didn't work, I pulled out the one I had been using which did have instructions for deinstalling and installed it. When that didn't work, I had decided to use a backup copy of my system from October, but then discovered the missing dlls.

I, like Merv, would have never reasoned that a DLL file would be the problem. Or even other system files. But I think this is a good example of certain problems that one might assume to be EMC's program problem, and in reality, it's a system problem of some kind. So I guess it's always a good idea to make sure the computer's system and all it's hardware and required software files are in order first.

Frank.........