• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Label Creator Backwards Compatibility

donald_steinman

Question

I have label files saved using several generations of Label Creator, having used versions 4, 5 and 7 of Roxio's cd and media creator software.

I currently use Easy Media Creator 7. Is there any way I can open old label files for editing without having to delete version 7 and re-load earlier versions of the software?

Also, anyone have insight into why Roxio rendered old files impossible to edit/view?

Thanks,

ds

9 answers to this question

I have label files saved using several generations of Label Creator, having used versions 4, 5 and 7 of Roxio's cd and media creator software.

I currently use Easy Media Creator 7. Is there any way I can open old label files for editing without having to delete version 7 and re-load earlier versions of the software?

Also, anyone have insight into why Roxio rendered old files impossible to edit/view?

Thanks,

ds

I am not sure if there is a workaround to get them to view, but you are wrong on the files being impossible to edit/view. You can easily do it in the version in which they were created. :)

I am not sure if there is a workaround to get them to view, but you are wrong on the files being impossible to edit/view. You can easily do it in the version in which they were created. :blink:

I agree with you as I am having the same problem!! Also why isn't there a means to send e-mail for help and contact support people!!

Lee Williams ;)

I am not sure if there is a workaround to get them to view, but you are wrong on the files being impossible to edit/view. You can easily do it in the version in which they were created. :)

Right. The only problem is that Version 4 doesn't seem compatible with XP, and I don't think Versions 5 and 7 can coexist on the same system.

I just don't understand why Roxio would reward customer loyalty by making all files saved under earlier software versions unopenable in later versions. Seems more like punishment for upgrading, rather than a reward.

Right. The only problem is that Version 4 doesn't seem compatible with XP, and I don't think Versions 5 and 7 can coexist on the same system.

I just don't understand why Roxio would reward customer loyalty by making all files saved under earlier software versions unopenable in later versions. Seems more like punishment for upgrading, rather than a reward.

You're correct that ECDC 4 isn't compatible with XP, but all you really want is Jewel Case Creator, which should work just fine. Do a custom installation, and you should be able to install just JCC, and you don't have to uninstall EMC 7 either. Version 5 should coexist with Version 7 too. Again, all you want from version 5 is CD Label Creator, but there's no problem installing ECDC 5 too. I currently have EMC 8 and ECDC 5 installed on my machine.

Hope that helps!

.jwl's - in my experience . .

Label files from v.5 and 6 open in v.7 just fine.

However, .jwl's from v.5 sometimes behave very strangely in v.7 - esp. if you try to make any changes.

Label files from v.4 do not open anywhere except in v.4.

Changes were made to the v.5 Label Creator module during its life - such that .jwl's created in very early v.5 releases do not open properly in later v.5 releases.

You're correct that ECDC 4 isn't compatible with XP, but all you really want is Jewel Case Creator, which should work just fine. Do a custom installation, and you should be able to install just JCC, and you don't have to uninstall EMC 7 either. Version 5 should coexist with Version 7 too. Again, all you want from version 5 is CD Label Creator, but there's no problem installing ECDC 5 too. I currently have EMC 8 and ECDC 5 installed on my machine.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I'll give your suggestions a try.

ds

I had the same problem. However, I downloaded the latest update to 7.5 today and suddenly I can open v6 files in v7.5. Are you up to date on your versions?

Umm... you're only going up 1 version, from 6 to 7.5. The original poster was going from version 4 and 5 to version 7, skipping 2 or 3 versions. Quite a difference.

Archived