• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cd Can't Be Read

salb222

Hi, I moved/burned many pictures to a CD-R disc. The process took a while and the computer I was using was not in great shape to do the task. At the end of the process, the software asked if I wanted the CD to be read by any device. I said, YES. No problem with that CD. However, the second CD I burned didn't go so well. The software seemed to finish (all the pictures were copied from the computer to the disc and the software stopped "processing" the transfer), but the computer basically got hung-up and locked up. I never got the same question about wanting the CD to be read by any device. I eventually had to eject the CD and now I can't read what's on it. My other computer indicates that data is there, but it just won't read or display the pictures on the disc. Is there a software package that reads data on a disc regardless of what was used to burn the data to the disc? Thanks for any help with this as I may have lost about 250 pictures from my recent vacation.

Hi, I moved/burned many pictures to a CD-R disc. The process took a while and the computer I was using was not in great shape to do the task. At the end of the process, the software asked if I wanted the CD to be read by any device. I said, YES. No problem with that CD. However, the second CD I burned didn't go so well. The software seemed to finish (all the pictures were copied from the computer to the disc and the software stopped "processing" the transfer), but the computer basically got hung-up and locked up. I never got the same question about wanting the CD to be read by any device. I eventually had to eject the CD and now I can't read what's on it. My other computer indicates that data is there, but it just won't read or display the pictures on the disc. Is there a software package that reads data on a disc regardless of what was used to burn the data to the disc? Thanks for any help with this as I may have lost about 250 pictures from my recent vacation.

Try a recovery program, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. They both have a "trial" version that lets you see if anything is recoverable before you have to pay.

If you used CD-R it's pretty likely to be recoverable; CD-RW is a lot more iffy, especially depending on how much time has passed (CD-RW will fade out sooner or later, altho if formatted for Packet-Writing, usually sooner).

If you made the MISTAKE of formatting the disc - I'd recommend not doing that again. You now have an explanation of why not.

Lynn

See Lynn's post. Never use Drag to Disc, or any other packet writing software to backup anything important. I think that you just found out why.

Use Creator Classic to back up your data.

See Lynn's post. Never use Drag to Disc, or any other packet writing software to backup anything important. I think that you just found out why.

Use Creator Classic to back up your data.

as grandpabruce says, Never use Drag to Disc.

and also the good part with classic is if you have a stop like that you can reboot and use tools to finalize the DVD or cd so that you can open it again or even mount the track that may have been written to the cd...

get the drift?.....

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, so far I tried trial versions of ISO Buster and CD Roller to no avail. They both indicate that nothing is on the disc / can't read the disc. I'm sure there is data on the disc, it's just not reading. I'll keep trying other avenues. If any of you have any other suggestions (even for me to send the disc somewhere to someone who has the expertise to extract the pictures), I'd be very happy. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, so far I tried trial versions of ISO Buster and CD Roller to no avail. They both indicate that nothing is on the disc / can't read the disc. I'm sure there is data on the disc, it's just not reading. I'll keep trying other avenues. If any of you have any other suggestions (even for me to send the disc somewhere to someone who has the expertise to extract the pictures), I'd be very happy. Thanks again!

Condolences. Sounds like CD-RW combined with Packet-Writing.

If you want to KEEP data, NEVER format the discs, and NEVER use RW media.

(In fact, except for testing purposes, when you want to be able to erase and start over, never use RW media.)

I learned the hard way too - but I was lucky that it turned out to be not anything I needed.

Lynn

Well, the long and short of it is, the disk was actually empty. I used Bad Copy Pro to read the sectors and determined that the transfer of pictures to the disk never actually happend. So, I now have to go back to the PC I used and find the files that I wanted to "move" to the disk. Hopefully, they'll be in a temporary ghost folder or something like that waiting patiently to be transferred correctly. Only problem is, the PC is in Brazil (I was just vacationing there) and needs a new motherboard (it won't start up). Luckily, my friend who owns the PC is aware of the situation, so I'll work with him to see if the pics are still on the computer somewhere. Thanks again everyone!!

Archived