• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fairly Simple File Backup - Can This Be Done?

jethrodesign

Question

Hi, I recently purchased Roxio EMC 8 for backing up TiVo files to DVD (joke) and covering a lot of other removable disc tasks.

So I need to do some backing up of specific data. I'm very organized in my file structure and where I keep things. I would like to back up my photo collection, music collection, documents, etc. These are all kept in top-level folders with multiple sub-folders for compete organization.

I would normally just manually create backup discs with as much stuff as I could fit per DVD, keeping like content together.

But I'm wondering if either of Roxio's backup tools could do this but give me the added option of incremental backup, so I don't have to search for new folders and files in the future when I try to backup. And also possibly help me split large backups across multiple discs so I don't have to manually calculate overall sizes.

What I DON'T want (and it's hard to tell from the Help files if this is possible) is to be forced into using Roxio to retrieve any files stored on these backup discs. I would like to be able to access these files as I would any other file that I manually backup to a removeable disc, and open or copy only those I want to work with.

- Is this possible, or are you stuck having to use a Roxio product to browse, copy, open or retrieve your files?

- If this is not possible, do you have any other software product ideas that may work?

Thanks. I just don't want to be tied to a program that I may or may not keep around and updated, or may go out of business someday, etc. Also, my files are organized very well the way I like, and I want to keep it that way.

2 answers to this question

Hi, I recently purchased Roxio EMC 8 for backing up TiVo files to DVD (joke) and covering a lot of other removable disc tasks.

So I need to do some backing up of specific data. I'm very organized in my file structure and where I keep things. I would like to back up my photo collection, music collection, documents, etc. These are all kept in top-level folders with multiple sub-folders for compete organization.

I would normally just manually create backup discs with as much stuff as I could fit per DVD, keeping like content together.

But I'm wondering if either of Roxio's backup tools could do this but give me the added option of incremental backup, so I don't have to search for new folders and files in the future when I try to backup. And also possibly help me split large backups across multiple discs so I don't have to manually calculate overall sizes.

What I DON'T want (and it's hard to tell from the Help files if this is possible) is to be forced into using Roxio to retrieve any files stored on these backup discs. I would like to be able to access these files as I would any other file that I manually backup to a removeable disc, and open or copy only those I want to work with.

- Is this possible, or are you stuck having to use a Roxio product to browse, copy, open or retrieve your files?

- If this is not possible, do you have any other software product ideas that may work?

Thanks. I just don't want to be tied to a program that I may or may not keep around and updated, or may go out of business someday, etc. Also, my files are organized very well the way I like, and I want to keep it that way.

Unfortunately, the backup products included with EMC 8 don't work the way you want them to. Back Up MyPC, works as an imaging program, and so does the Back Up option in EMC 8. Both create a single file, that you need to use the included "retrieve" program to open up and restore with.

Alternatively, unless this has changed, a Data CD/DVD project is file based. That is, even if you drop a folder into the project, it is the file names currently in the folder that are recorded as being part of the project, not the fact that you want the "whole folder". So, if you add new files, the next time you go to use the project, those new files won't be added to the project.

One application I've seen that meets your needs is called Accuburn-R. That let's you designate folders, and do incremental backups to "plain files" on a CD/DVD of new/changed files, like you're looking for. I suspect there are other options out there too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply!

I'll check into the Data DVD Project method. I mostly understood what you were talking about.

And I'll look into AccuBurn, although from first glance they didn't say anything about 'incremental'.

Are there any other solutions, or even other forums/websites I could go to find out about them (I don't know where to look)?

Thanks again!

Archived