No menus on DVD

dflicata

Question

Using MyDVD, I created a project with one .AVI input. I created a menu and one submenu with titles. Other than the “home” button, I didn’t create one, and there are no chapters. I validated the project and ran preview. The menu showed up and I could start my movie. I burned an .ISO file on my HD and made my DVD from that file. When MyDVD was done making the .ISO file, it stated there was an error, but it didn’t say what the error was. When I put the DVD in a player, it starts playing the movie. I can’t get to a menu with titles – they don’t appear to be there. I’ve tried two different DVD players.

Any ideas?

:(

8 answers to this question

Using MyDVD, I created a project with one .AVI input. I created a menu and one submenu with titles. Other than the “home” button, I didn’t create one, and there are no chapters. I validated the project and ran preview. The menu showed up and I could start my movie. I burned an .ISO file on my HD and made my DVD from that file. When MyDVD was done making the .ISO file, it stated there was an error, but it didn’t say what the error was. When I put the DVD in a player, it starts playing the movie. I can’t get to a menu with titles – they don’t appear to be there. I’ve tried two different DVD players.

Any ideas?

:(

Explain how you created a menu and submenu with titles.

On the right side of MyDVD9, in Project View (Menus tab) it sohws a disk and my file title. Under that is a square with a title I added. I selected that and from the DVD Menu, I selected "Add Submenu." It added a lower level menu that I then added the same title. It also states there is an "Unnamed Button." The thing I didn't do is add a chapter, since I only have one movie and I didn't see a need for chapters. I'm using the "Sprots" style.

I went back and added chapters and burned another disk. Same result. The movie automatically starts. When I hit the menu button on the control, the movie just restarts from the beginning - no menu appears. When I hit stop, I just get the DVD player generic DVD screen. The thing is, when I use the preview movie in MyDVD, everything works fine.

I started the movie in Windows Media player. It listed it as unknown DVD and no titles It had the five chapters listed, but not the names I put in. However, the DVD went to the correct spot when I clicked the chapter number. The viewing window did not show a menu, it was blank. When I hit the play button, the movie played.

Edited by dflicata

On the right side of MyDVD9, in Project View (Menus tab) it sohws a disk and my file title. Under that is a square with a title I added. I selected that and from the DVD Menu, I selected "Add Submenu." It added a lower level menu that I then added the same title. It also states there is an "Unnamed Button." The thing I didn't do is add a chapter, since I only have one movie and I didn't see a need for chapters. I'm using the "Sprots" style.

I went back and added chapters and burned another disk. Same result. The movie automatically starts. When I hit the menu button on the control, the movie just restarts from the beginning - no menu appears. When I hit stop, I just get the DVD player generic DVD screen. The thing is, when I use the preview movie in MyDVD, everything works fine.

I started the movie in Windows Media player. It listed it as unknown DVD and no titles It had the five chapters listed, but not the names I put in. However, the DVD went to the correct spot when I clicked the chapter number. The viewing window did not show a menu, it was blank. When I hit the play button, the movie played.

If you have only one movie (title) and don't want any chapters then there is no need for a sub-menu.

My goal is when the DVD is placed in the player, that the main menu comes up showing the content title/description and then have the viewer select a start movie button. I can’t get it to start with the introduction screen; it just wants to play the movie. I can never get to the introduction screen. I know how to create a button that states “start movie,” but how do I link it so when the viewer selects it, the movie starts?

My goal is when the DVD is placed in the player, that the main menu comes up showing the content title/description and then have the viewer select a start movie button. I can’t get it to start with the introduction screen; it just wants to play the movie. I can never get to the introduction screen. I know how to create a button that states “start movie,” but how do I link it so when the viewer selects it, the movie starts?

After trying a number of things, spending a lot of time, and tossing out a number of DVD’s I found the solution. I did a little digging. A dialog box popped up and instead of just an OK, it also had a button for “details.” I selected it and it said there was an encoding error. I found the error number and did a search. This led me to an old forum question by someone with the same error using Roxio 8 (I’m using 9). Someone answered there was a hotfix for it. I found a link to the hotfix, downloaded and installed it. Everything works fine. I’m still perplexed as to why this problem showed up now and why it would exist in Roxio 9 if the hotfix came out for Roxio 8.

:rolleyes:

After trying a number of things, spending a lot of time, and tossing out a number of DVD’s I found the solution. I did a little digging. A dialog box popped up and instead of just an OK, it also had a button for “details.” I selected it and it said there was an encoding error. I found the error number and did a search. This led me to an old forum question by someone with the same error using Roxio 8 (I’m using 9). Someone answered there was a hotfix for it. I found a link to the hotfix, downloaded and installed it. Everything works fine. I’m still perplexed as to why this problem showed up now and why it would exist in Roxio 9 if the hotfix came out for Roxio 8.

:rolleyes:

You failed to mention what hotfix it was, but if it is the one for the software not recognizing your burner, then that patch will work for any version of the software. It is an automated process for running the Microsoft editing/deleting of the upper and lower filters.

The error code was:

80040207 Error while Encoding Menu

The hotfix is:

emc8_menuencode_hotfix.exe

After I reported above, the fix I used, I created another DVD project and I discovered I had to run the hotfix again because it wasn't working again. This morning, I created another DVD project (I'm transferring VHS tapes of my kids to DVD) and this time the project won't burn. It gives me the same error message, even after I rerun the hotfix. I'm wondering if I'd do better moving up to version 10. This is very frustrating and time consuming!!!!

The error code was:

80040207 Error while Encoding Menu

The hotfix is:

emc8_menuencode_hotfix.exe

After I reported above, the fix I used, I created another DVD project and I discovered I had to run the hotfix again because it wasn't working again. This morning, I created another DVD project (I'm transferring VHS tapes of my kids to DVD) and this time the project won't burn. It gives me the same error message, even after I rerun the hotfix. I'm wondering if I'd do better moving up to version 10. This is very frustrating and time consuming!!!!

In MyDVD, try Software render.