• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

organ6

Convert Tape Distortion

Question

I am using the LP and Tape Assistant to copy cassette tapes (and LP's). But the first 15 to 20 seconds of the cassette recording is distorted. After that it is fine. This does not happen with the LP's I recorded. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

9 answers to this question

I am using the LP and Tape Assistant to copy cassette tapes (and LP's). But the first 15 to 20 seconds of the cassette recording is distorted. After that it is fine. This does not happen with the LP's I recorded. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Are you using the option to have it automatically set the recording level? If so, I would guess that before it gets the level set, the input is high enough to clip the signal. After it has several seconds to adjust, the recording level down, it's fine, as you're hearing. So, what would happen if you started recording, and let it adjust itself, then, without stopping LP & Tape Assistant, simply rewind to the beginning of your tape and start over. You can trim off that excess noise at the beginning later.

Does that work?

Are you using the option to have it automatically set the recording level? If so, I would guess that before it gets the level set, the input is high enough to clip the signal. After it has several seconds to adjust, the recording level down, it's fine, as you're hearing. So, what would happen if you started recording, and let it adjust itself, then, without stopping LP & Tape Assistant, simply rewind to the beginning of your tape and start over. You can trim off that excess noise at the beginning later.

Does that work?

Sorry - that does not work. Any time I stop the cassette (to rewind or whatever) I get distortion or no sound for a while and then it plays fine.

Sorry - that does not work. Any time I stop the cassette (to rewind or whatever) I get distortion or no sound for a while and then it plays fine.

So, the LP source is ok, but the Cassette is either open/distorted. What is different on your set up between the two sources (the actual physical connection to your sound card).

Do you have LP & Tape Assistant set up to automatically detect tracks and/or autopause? (Under "Advanced Option".) If so, try disabling them. It still sounds to me like it is automatically trying to set the volume level, and the input from the tape, particularly after silence, is high enough to cause distortion.

Another question, what sound card do you have, or if it's on the motherboard, can you find out what chipset it is? Look in Device Manager to see what it says. There's a possibility that your sound card has some sort of automatic gain control on the input that's causing the problem.

So, the LP source is ok, but the Cassette is either open/distorted. What is different on your set up between the two sources (the actual physical connection to your sound card).

The only difference is I have to add an adapter for the phono with 2 RCA plugs to the audio cable.

The only difference is I have to add an adapter for the phono with 2 RCA plugs to the audio cable.

I really don't understand HOW you have got the 2 devices hooked up to your sound card. It would appear you have 2 seperate hook ups.

Do you have 1 cord for the LP set up and a seperate cord for the cassette set up?.

This "adapter", what does it do? ( if you know).

Go to this site and see if anything in there helps you http://www.the-predator.com/dell/sec7-9.html

I really don't understand HOW you have got the 2 devices hooked up to your sound card. It would appear you have 2 seperate hook ups.

Do you have 1 cord for the LP set up and a seperate cord for the cassette set up?.

This "adapter", what does it do? ( if you know).

Go to this site and see if anything in there helps you http://www.the-predator.com/dell/sec7-9.html

I'm guessing the user is manually re-plugging to go from one device to the next. However, you may have a point if the turntable is being plugged directly into the sound card through the mic input, then it might not distort if it's not one of those TT's with a built-in pre-amp. But the Cassette deck would overload the input, at least until the auto-gain control kicked in.

So, to the original poster, how are you connecting your turntable to your PC? It should be going through a preamp, usually that would mean connecting it to your stereo, then taking a line-out signal from a set of tape-out jacks. Also, have you verified that you're connecting to a line-in jack on your PC? It should have a sign that looks like an arrow pointing into some parenthesis, somewhat like this ->)) It should NOT have a microphone image by it.

Let us know.

I'm guessing the user is manually re-plugging to go from one device to the next. However, you may have a point if the turntable is being plugged directly into the sound card through the mic input, then it might not distort if it's not one of those TT's with a built-in pre-amp. But the Cassette deck would overload the input, at least until the auto-gain control kicked in.

So, to the original poster, how are you connecting your turntable to your PC? It should be going through a preamp, usually that would mean connecting it to your stereo, then taking a line-out signal from a set of tape-out jacks. Also, have you verified that you're connecting to a line-in jack on your PC? It should have a sign that looks like an arrow pointing into some parenthesis, somewhat like this ->)) It should NOT have a microphone image by it.

Let us know.

Problem solved - I hope. I was using the same wire to connect the cassette player and the phono but added a Y-adapter (R/L RCA plugs) for the phono. And I was using the mike input to the PC. I tried using the line-in input and the cassette player works WONDERFULLY!

Thanks to all for the help!

Problem solved - I hope. I was using the same wire to connect the cassette player and the phono but added a Y-adapter (R/L RCA plugs) for the phono. And I was using the mike input to the PC. I tried using the line-in input and the cassette player works WONDERFULLY!

Thanks to all for the help!

Could you please clarify exactly how you're connecting your Turntable to your PC? Are you connecting it directly to the mic input? Or are you going through your stereo and connecting it to the Line Input? If you are going directly into the mic input, then you're not getting the sound you should be getting if you were going through the phono inputs on your stereo, and then into the line-in of your sound card. This is because the preamplifier in the stereo will apply the proper RIAA equalization to the signal so the bass will be restored and the treble reduced as it should be.

Let us know.