Video File Not Broken Down By Scenes

tadd5181

Question

I used capture on a DV tape, 60 minutes. It copied the tape all right but kept it in one file instead of breaking it down by scene. How do I capture the tape scene by scene, which then allows me to use some but not all scenes and to put them in a different order during editing?

4 answers to this question

I used capture on a DV tape, 60 minutes. It copied the tape all right but kept it in one file instead of breaking it down by scene. How do I capture the tape scene by scene, which then allows me to use some but not all scenes and to put them in a different order during editing?

When capturing DV tape, scenes are created, but you need to go to the Media Manager, also known as the Media Selector, in order to pick which scenes you want to drag to the timeline. If you are new to Roxio, like me, things aren't obvious. When you find the video file in the Media Selector, also known as the Media Manager, there will be a "play" button as well as a "down arrow" button at the botton of the video clip. Click on the "down arrow" button to display a window with the scenes. The scenes are based on when you started and stopped your camcorder when recording.

In order to get to the Media Selector from MyDVD 8 or VideoWave 8, select View from the main menu, then click on Media Selector. If the media selector window doesn't appear, like what happened to me, uninstall EMC 8 and then install it again. You can also go through the Start menu to get to Media Manager, also known as Media Selector in other modules.

While I'm at it, if you want to manually split your file while capturing, press the spacebar. That stops the recording. Press the spacebar again to start recording to another file.

if you want to manually split your file

For those files that are already captured, RIGHT mouse click on the file in the Media Manager and select 'Scene Detect'. Even if the file is an analog capture, scene detect should still work. You may have to change the 'sensitivity' though.

Open Media Manager, navigate to the file and right click it. As pop-up window will appear and you can do an automatic scene detect. You may have to play with the sensitivity. When you go into VideoWave to build your production, navigate to the Media files for the date you did the scene detect and add them from there.

You can google for a small, free utility called WinDV which allows you to capture from your camcorder to individual files based on the start/stop timecodes on the tape. This then makes it very easy to import the scenes into a videowave project and is more reliable then using scenen detection.

Archived