• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

REDWAGON

External Hard Drive

I just purchased a new Notebook computer and now I am looking for an external HD to use with it. Choices I would like to have so far: (All comments will be appreciated however).

1-would like a 200GB or 250 GB capacity

2-Most I have looked at so far all require an external power source and would like one that is self powered, if that's possible. Maybe they all have to be AC powered ????

3-Use will be for storing various files and not necessarily for backup purposed but that's O.K. too.

4-Connectivity via USB 2.0 and not necessarily Firewire, but both is O.K.

5-Backup software is not a must.

6-Warranty for at least 1 year (Western Digital "Retail" is 1 year where-as OEM is 3 year).

7-Reviews from anyone that has one and is totally satisfied would be appreciated.

8-Will use it for storing all of my EMC productions and their backup files mostly.

Nice to want your cake and eat it too, huh ??? :)

O.K., the gates open-------

Frank..........

I just purchased a new Notebook computer and now I am looking for an external HD to use with it. Choices I would like to have so far: (All comments will be appreciated however).

2-Most I have looked at so far all require an external power source and would like one that is self powered, if that's possible. Maybe they all have to be AC powered ????

3-Use will be for storing various files and not necessarily for backup purposed but that's O.K. too.

6-Warranty for at least 1 year (Western Digital "Retail" is 1 year where-as OEM is 3 year).

7-Reviews from anyone that has one and is totally satisfied would be appreciated.

8-Will use it for storing all of my EMC productions and their backup files mostly.

Frank..........

An offering in cake and eat it:

Take a look at something called "Image Tank."

It is a pack-of-smokes sized gizmo that uses a laptop (near any size) harddrive.

I don't know if the current offerings go to your 200 GB size?

Anyway, the beast has slots to take your camera's film cards and it hooks up to a PC via USB.

It's powered by a rechargeable battery and some come with a 4-AA holder too.

The ebay price is $50 or less for the enclosure and the HD prices go up by size.

Another way is to look at the firewire and usb enclosures offered by Comp USA, et al.

Rather than "dumping" your old HDs, they can soldier-on.

Not as neat as a brand new HD, but "a penny here and a penny there..."

Frank..........

Unless you get an external 2.5" laptop drive (not available in the size you want, or very, very expensive) you're going to require external power, because only 5V is available on the USB bus, and 3.5" drives require 12v too.

I use an external USB 2.0 case I got off eBay, and stuck in an 80GB drive I had on hand. Been working great for quite awhile now. Keep an eye on the sales at your local Circuit City, Staples, etc. for a drive, and/or case. I'm running several Western Digital drives currently, and happy with them. (Knock on wood.)

No real hard recommendations here, just do it!

Hi Frank,

The only "self-powered" enclosure I've seen is a 2.5" one, for the reasons Dave gave. It requires you to connect two USB plugs to separate hubs to get enough power to run the drive.

The owner said it was useful to give him a chance to re-use a notebook drive he'd removed during an upgrade, but was not practical or economical if he was going out to buy a new drive and enclosure.

I'm using two external 3.5" drives with different enclosures. Both are excellent, and I put my own drives in them. One is a plastic case with a built-in fan, and the other is an aluminium one which doesn't need a fan. They both have mains-powered supplies.

My externals are USB 2.0, and I get about 25 MB a second transfer rate from them. I've tried a firewire one, but apart from the ability to daisy-chain them it didn't seem to have much advantage. It certainly wasn't noticeably faster in practice.

I have WD 200s in both enclosures, and have had no problems accessing or partitioning the full space of the drives.

Something that I didn't think about yesterday:

How about a LOT (no limit) of external storage?

A device called "Burn Away" is out there (and several like-things).

It is a USB hook up, uses rechargeable internal batteries or wall plug, and burns to DVDs (rewriteables too).

It has card slots for your digital camera's media as a bonus.

These things are NOT cheap, but can do a lot...

Something that I didn't think about yesterday:

How about a LOT (no limit) of external storage?

A device called "Burn Away" is out there (and several like-things).

It is a USB hook up, uses rechargeable internal batteries or wall plug, and burns to DVDs (rewriteables too).

It has card slots for your digital camera's media as a bonus.

These things are NOT cheap, but can do a lot...

"BurnAway" is not a storage device

The BurnAway is a multi-function, portable device that integrates a slim type combo DVD/CD-RW drive, media player and USB 2.0 card reader. It is ideal for transferring data from digital cameras, handheld PC's, and MP3 players

"BurnAway" is not a storage device

The BurnAway is a multi-function, portable device that integrates a slim type combo DVD/CD-RW drive, media player and USB 2.0 card reader. It is ideal for transferring data from digital cameras, handheld PC's, and MP3 players

Well, in this respect it can be considered "unlimited". If you have a spindle of 100 DVD discs, that's good for 430GB of storage, and you can always go out and buy more.

Now, it's not necessarily as practical as a 200GB HD, since you have to keep track of what's on each disc, and you can't have anything over the size of a single disc without special software to reconstruct it... but...

I bought my Burn Away when they first came out so I expect the price has come down.

My purpose was to burn DVDs from camera media while vacationing overseas.

Nothing that Homeland Security can do to a DVD except scratch it.

Anyway, with so much loot invested in it, I've been thinking of other work to put it to.

It DOES disc-span so broken files are not a problem.

Even JUST using the CD (cheap) side and not using DVDs, there's 700 MB per shot.

Rewritables are also possible.

A "Sharpie" pen with "Xmas '02" takes care of remembering what's there.

Granted, just buying a big external USB drive is the cheapest and most direct answer for you

but,

here's another toy that has "extras" and doesn't he with the most toys win?

Besides, you DO have 261 power tools in your garage, don't you?

Just bought a "Coleman "5000 Watt" portable generator that I now have in the garage, so that makes 262 tools now !!! :)

Frank....

Today only at CompUSA Midnight Madness sale 6pm til Midnight

External USB 2 250HD - $69.99 (no brand in the ad)

after rebates of course LOL