• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

PLEASE HELP - Can't view photo discs saved from Creator 6

Mumslittleoutlet

Question

Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help me. I have many discs of photos of my children that were saved on my old PC using Creator 6 and Windows XP. I now use Vista and when I tried to view my old discs it came up with EW reader (it doesn't even show that there are photo files on the disc it just says EW reader). When i click to open it it says that it needs to install EW reader to view the files. I do this - then it says it is up to date and that is it - no photos still. I know the discs do have the photos still as I tried them on my old PC (my daughter now has it) and they all come up fine.

I contacted Roxio and they said I needed the newer version - so I purchased Creator 10 - and I am still having the exact same issues. Anybody know how to make the files viewable? I am not as technical as most of you guys so please speak english lol :)

12 answers to this question

Wow did you get some questionable advice!!!

It would appear that the discs you have were written with Drag to Disc (v6)

Those discs 'should be compatible'[]/I] for Reading on any XP or Vista PC. DO NOT install the read, as it is not compatible with Vista.

One of 2 things is going on with the discs. Either they have gone bad (common to packet writing) or you used Compression when you wrote them.

EMC 10 does not have a packet writer (Drag to Disc) anymore, so there is no way that it can help!

Your best bet would be to find a friend or computer store that has some knowledge of packet writers and let them attempt to recover the discs on an older machine.

I know the discs do have the photos still as I tried them on my old PC (my daughter now has it) and they all come up fine.

If this is true, copy them to the hard drive on that PC. Open Creator Classic and re-burn them from the hard drive as a data disc and close, or read only the disc. Now any PC should read the new disc's.

cd

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. Sorry to sound vague - but should I install the Creator 10 on my daughters pc and re burn using that? I wish I understood this stuff more - we have 5 chidren so you can imagine how many discs I have :)

I guess I now have a Creator 10 I don't really need - I was burning the photos fine without it, I only purchased it to make the older discs viewable doh!

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. Sorry to sound vague - but should I install the Creator 10 on my daughters pc and re burn using that? I wish I understood this stuff more - we have 5 chidren so you can imagine how many discs I have :)

I guess I now have a Creator 10 I don't really need - I was burning the photos fine without it, I only purchased it to make the older discs viewable doh!

You were burning your cherished photos with the wrong software. From now on, use Creator Classic to burn those discs. You won't have the problems that you just experienced.

If your daughter's PC can run an already-installed V.6, I would suggest it doesn't begin to meet the EMC 10 system requirements.

Use the already-installed ECD/DVDC 6. Use the Creator Classic application within the suite.

DO NOT FORMAT the discs - use them directly off the spindle or out of the package. Optical media works very differently from magnetic media, which is to say, CDs and DVDs are NOT floppy discs, and do NOT need to be formatted except for Packet-Writing, and Packet-Writing is hazardous to your data.

Lynn

Thanks so much guys - just one last question - promise :)

When I am burning from my new PC, should I use the Creator 10 to burn the discs from now on or will this cause problems later on too. The way I am doing it now - direct from Vista - requires the CD's to be formatted first, so I am assuming that is no good?

Thank you again everyone :)

Kirsten

Thanks so much guys - just one last question - promise :)

When I am burning from my new PC, should I use the Creator 10 to burn the discs from now on or will this cause problems later on too. The way I am doing it now - direct from Vista - requires the CD's to be formatted first, so I am assuming that is no good?

Thank you again everyone :)

Kirsten

Use Creator Classic, in EMC 10. No formatting of discs required. If you have to format a disc, you are using the wrong software.

Archived