• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rickychavez

Buffering Underrun Error

Yeah, uh, every time I try to burn a CD, I keep getting:

T0100: I/O ERROR (06/C5/00) -WRITE ERROR- BUFFER UNDERRUN OCCURED

and

T71118: TRACK WRITER ERROR-COMMAND RETRY FAILED

I've tried burning at all speeds, I've tested all the tracks before attempting to burn them and it seems to be the same outcome each time, a wasted CD and a LOT of anger. How can I remedy this?

and

I've tried burning at all speeds, I've tested all the tracks before attempting to burn them and it seems to be the same outcome each time, a wasted CD and a LOT of anger. How can I remedy this?

Give us some more info of what you are doing, what sort of "tracks" are these?, can we assume this just started happening?, have you tried a different brand of disc's?, have you added any other software recently?,

Any changes to you Operating System?

Also, where did these tracks come from? Were they downloaded?

If you get a CD-RW or two, you can test-burn things, and if they work out, then make a 2nd copy to a CD-R. If they don't work out, you can erase the CD-RW and try a different way. That would reduce the number of CD-Rs lost.

Just don't use CD-RW for long-term storage, because they fade out fairly quickly.

Lynn

and

The trackwriter error is caused by the buffer underrun.

Have you clicked on the HELP button in ECDC4 and had a look at the help offered for buffer underruns?

Yes, most of the tracks are downloaded. I recently formatted my hard drive, and it's kinda been doing this for a while, back then I figured out what it was, but now I've forgotten. I'm on Windows ME.

Yes, most of the tracks are downloaded. I recently formatted my hard drive, and it's kinda been doing this for a while, back then I figured out what it was, but now I've forgotten. I'm on Windows ME.

(1) if you downloaded the tracks legally, they probably have DRM (Digital Rights Management) code which means probably only WinPlayer can handle them (nice little trick performed by Microsoft). The workaround is to burn to disc and rip to Hard Drive. (A CD-RW can be used for this purpose, and reused as needed. Don't use RW media for anything you plan to keep any length of time, tho, or you may find it has faded to blank.)

(2) if you reformatted the drive, and didn't export your licenses from WinPlayer (so you could re-import them later), you are going to have to contact the places you got the downloads from and have the permissions reset.

(Illegal downloads are less of a hassle.)

Also, when you reformatted, you probably lost any updates to ECDC 4 that you had installed, and will need to re-update (check software update link in left column).

Lynn

Dear god, you people reply fast. I'm not at all familiar with the process with the CD-RW you've just described. I don't think I saw any updates for Version 4. But thanks anyways.

Edited by rickychavez

Dear god, you people reply fast. I'm not at all familiar with the process with the CD-RW you've just described. I don't think I saw any updates for Version 4. But thanks anyways.

This link is to ECDC 5 -

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=122

But the information we need is the same.

Most of the rest of the post is also applicable.

Lynn

and

As a general rule, a "buffer underrun" error means the flow of data to the burner was interrupted or too slow such that the buffer in the burner became empty - and the burn process could not proceed. Once the burn process stops due to lack of data in the buffer, there is no way to restart it, so you get the error. I have experienced some other pretty oddball situations that have caused a buffer underrun, but most likely what I described above is the issue. So you are looking for things that cause the burner to get too far ahead of the computer when burning.

Some of the things I do:

1. make sure "buffer underrun protection" is enabled in your burner, if your drive supports that.

2. cancel all resident programs that are running before you start your burn that are not absolutely necessary - such as virus protection programs, etc.

3. go into your op system "task manager" and give your ECDC program "high" priority so it doesn't give up cpu cycles willingly

4. make sure your source material is on a fast device locally attached (ie. your hard drive). Burning across a network or from slow external devices can be problematic.

5. use a burn speed not at the maximum of the media or device. For example, I burn 48x media in my 52x burner at 24x usually. If this is an older/slow computer, you may have to slow down even more.

6. make changes and try burning in "test only" mode a few tmes until the problem is solved.

7. try burning your project to some rewritable media (cd-rw) that you can erase and use over until the problem is solved.