DominikHoffmann

Can't Rip Move: Result Code = -50

Question

Using Version 3.0.2 I can't initiate the ripping of a movie whose encryption and copy protection had been removed using MTR. Popcorn 3.0.2 presents me with a "Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS erorr. Result Code = -50." This appears to be a bug in Popcorn. I went back to Roxio Crunch, which appears to be a slimmed-down version of Popcorn 2, and it had the same problem.

12 answers to this question

What settings are you using in Popcorn? What are you wanting to create from the source VIDEO_TS?

I am having the same error message with Popcorn 3.02 using Mac OSX 10.5.1

trying to export dvd disc to mpeg-4 get Mac OS error Result Code = -50

The disc trying to export does play and can be viewed in popcorn, not a copy protect dvd, just a home movie

I am having the same error message with Popcorn 3.02 using Mac OSX 10.5.1

trying to export dvd disc to mpeg-4 get Mac OS error Result Code = -50

The disc trying to export does play and can be viewed in popcorn, not a copy protect dvd, just a home movie

It could be that the disc has timecode breaks that are giving Popcorn trouble. Try this workaround. Choose DVD with the top button of the Popcorn Media Browser (the browser is a separate window from the main Popcorn window). Your DVD will appear in the browser. Drag it to "Video Files" format in the main Popcorn window. Popcorn will take a few minutes to extract the MPEG files from the DVD. When that is done select the titles you want to export to MPEG 4.

Edited by tsantee

I'm having same problem after ripping DVD with MTR (Children's DVDs to view on AppleTV, nothing criminal) can not export to iTunes. Keep getting same error and at times reducing the Mac to a nice black screen or frozen screen of Popcorn Waiting screen. please report is Tsantee's solution will work if from MTR and not family vacation DVD. thanks

I'm having same problem after ripping DVD with MTR (Children's DVDs to view on AppleTV, nothing criminal) can not export to iTunes. Keep getting same error and at times reducing the Mac to a nice black screen or frozen screen of Popcorn Waiting screen. please report is Tsantee's solution will work if from MTR and not family vacation DVD. thanks

Just a note about my earlier advice. If you have ripped a VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive you need to put that folder (the VIDEO_TS folder itself) on the desktop or inside the Movies folder in order for it to appear in the Media Browser window when DVD is selected with the browser's top button. You then can proceed to extract the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS by dragging the titles (or chapters) you want from the list that appears in the browser window to the main Popcorn window. In the main Popcorn window select whatever setting is appropriate as if you were adding movie files from a camera to the Popcorn.

Just a note about my earlier advice. If you have ripped a VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive you need to put that folder (the VIDEO_TS folder itself) on the desktop or inside the Movies folder in order for it to appear in the Media Browser window when DVD is selected with the browser's top button. You then can proceed to extract the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS by dragging the titles (or chapters) you want from the list that appears in the browser window to the main Popcorn window. In the main Popcorn window select whatever setting is appropriate as if you were adding movie files from a camera to the Popcorn.

Actually I can access any folder on the hard drive from Media Browser, not just the desktop, and the advice you gave above sounds like i have to burn to a DVD and then I would have to go back through the process of taking from the DVD to the Apple TV? i tend to think i'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Maybe i need to report this issue to Popcorn and see if they can fix this problem as this was the only reason for my purchase of Popcorn. I'm not burning DVD's i'm just taking my kids DVD collection to iTunes before they scratch them all. let me know if you or anyone else is having this same issue as it is kinda a pain. thanks for your time Tsantee, i know you don't have take the time to help us crazy people out.

Actually I can access any folder on the hard drive from Media Browser, not just the desktop, and the advice you gave above sounds like i have to burn to a DVD and then I would have to go back through the process of taking from the DVD to the Apple TV? i tend to think i'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Maybe i need to report this issue to Popcorn and see if they can fix this problem as this was the only reason for my purchase of Popcorn. I'm not burning DVD's i'm just taking my kids DVD collection to iTunes before they scratch them all. let me know if you or anyone else is having this same issue as it is kinda a pain. thanks for your time Tsantee, i know you don't have take the time to help us crazy people out.

You did misunderstand me. All I'm trying to suggest is extracting the MPEG file(s) from within the VIDEO_TS folder prior to your exporting them for AppleTV. The extraction is simple but you need to follow the steps I've explained. First put the VIDEO_TS folder on your desktop. Then choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. In a couple seconds something appears in the browser window. You now can use the button just below the browser's top button to access the titles or chapters level of the VIDEO_TS folder. Drag what you want from the browser to the main Popcorn window (where you have Video Files selected as the format). You'll see a progress bar as Popcorn copies the MPEG files. Now you can export those videos to AppleTV.

None of this involves burning a DVD.

This is what I have done. The DVD had been ripped by MacTheRipper. When I try to drag Title 1 from this virtual DVD (after copying the VIDEO_TS folder to ~/Movies) to the source window, the main Popcorn window, I get an error alert that says, "32 files are protected. OK." What's the meaning of this? I thought, by using MacTheRipper the encryption had been removed. What's up here?

This is what I have done. The DVD had been ripped by MacTheRipper. When I try to drag Title 1 from this virtual DVD (after copying the VIDEO_TS folder to ~/Movies) to the source window, the main Popcorn window, I get an error alert that says, "32 files are protected. OK." What's the meaning of this? I thought, by using MacTheRipper the encryption had been removed. What's up here?

I don't know if this is an encryption issue or not. But if it is then we can't discuss it in this forum. You might get new information about this at ripdifferent.com.

ok, this might be different for you, but this worked for me. just chatted with Roxio Tech support and all i needed to do was to get into the Mac Utilities and repair the disk permissions. Now me not being a mac guy (new mac in November, otherwise longtime pc user) i did not know these utilities exist nor did i know how to work them. that said it was very easy to do, just verified the disk permissions and then repaired them and now i can export movies to AppleTV or iTunes, same thing i think.

I am having the same issue with Popcorn 2.0.2 and Crunch. Presumably all use the same code base. The issue occurs with Ratatouille and Cars, both of which use ARccOS copy protection, about which MTR issues a warning, but appears to rip without a problem.

I'll try ripping the two differently, maybe with DVDFab Pro on my PC.