Capture Home Dvd's

hpace3

Question

I have recorded old home VHS tapes to DVDs with a Pioneer DVD recorder, DVR-320. I am now trying to edit the DVD in Videowave. However, when I try to capture the video no files show as being available to capture. I then tried capturing them as .iso files and c2d files. Video wave will not open those files. What am I doing wrong???? Or is this something that Roxio dosen't do? I have had no problem capturing video from my digital camcorder. Some problems editing in Videowave but the group has helped me with that. Can anyone help me now?

10 answers to this question

To update my issue- I have determined the format my Pioneer DVR uses is a .VRO file. Supposely I need to have software to convert VRO file to MPEG. Has anyone used software they can recommend? Does it effect quality?

Thanks

I don't know of any software that does, but I know there is some out there. Do a Google.

Guest mlpasley

Let's go back to the beginning. When you capture the files, you normally DO NOT want to capture them as .iso or .cd2 files.

Also, check to see if the out of sync audio/video in the mpeg2 file is a computer playback problem or an actual out of sync problem. Since DVDs are under 50 cents on sale now, you could burn that mpeg2 file to a DVD using DVD Builder and see if the audio is really out of sync.

As for converting them, I also recommend that you check with a website like www.videohelp.com to see if there is a free program available or one that's recommended by others on the website.

Yes you are right . After reading my manuel last night I realize now that I should have recorded in video mode. The thing is I transfered all my old tapes over a year ago when I bought the pioneer DVR. I did not have Roxio at the time. I recorded in the VR mode because I could edit them on the DVR in that mode. Editing on the DVR is limited to deleting segments and adding chapters. It does not begin to do the things I could do with them in Roxio. Now I would like to be able to edit in videowave without having to redo all 30 tapes. I called Roxio support and they suggested copying a dvd to my hard drive and rename the file to .mpg.

I am going to give that a try. Will let you know if it works.

In the mean time if anyone knows of software that they have used successfully to change the modes let me know. I looked on the net and there seems to be several out there but none that have great reviews.

Yes you are right . After reading my manuel last night I realize now that I should have recorded in video mode. The thing is I transfered all my old tapes over a year ago when I bought the pioneer DVR. I did not have Roxio at the time. I recorded in the VR mode because I could edit them on the DVR in that mode. Editing on the DVR is limited to deleting segments and adding chapters. It does not begin to do the things I could do with them in Roxio. Now I would like to be able to edit in videowave without having to redo all 30 tapes. I called Roxio support and they suggested copying a dvd to my hard drive and rename the file to .mpg.

I am going to give that a try. Will let you know if it works.

In the mean time if anyone knows of software that they have used successfully to change the modes let me know. I looked on the net and there seems to be several out there but none that have great reviews.

You should still be able to put these discs back in the Recorder and Finalize them…

I would try it first with an RW disc and a short recording.

Format it in the Recorder as VR, record and Finalize. Then try it in your PC.

With my Recorder, Windows cannot copy the files when VR format is used.

You should still be able to put these discs back in the Recorder and Finalize them…

I would try it first with an RW disc and a short recording.

Format it in the Recorder as VR, record and Finalize. Then try it in your PC.

With my Recorder, Windows cannot copy the files when VR format is used.

The discs have been finalized. They will not play on my PC. They also do not play on some other DVD players. I sent some to family and some could play them and some could not. Pioneer warns you in the manuel that the DVDs recorded on their DVR may not play in all DVD players.

Anyway I just copied a short one to my harddrive and renamed it to a mpg file. Videowave will now recognize the video but when I previewed it the audio was not in sync. Off by at least 5 or 6 seconds. Also the audio is not separate from the video in the timeline like it is when I download video from my digtal camcorder. Not sure how to get in in sync if I can't edit it separately.

I have recorded old home VHS tapes to DVDs with a Pioneer DVD recorder, DVR-320. I am now trying to edit the DVD in Videowave. However, when I try to capture the video no files show as being available to capture. I then tried capturing them as .iso files and c2d files. Video wave will not open those files. What am I doing wrong???? Or is this something that Roxio dosen't do? I have had no problem capturing video from my digital camcorder. Some problems editing in Videowave but the group has helped me with that. Can anyone help me now?

Finalize the discs.

To update my issue- I have determined the format my Pioneer DVR uses is a .VRO file. Supposely I need to have software to convert VRO file to MPEG. Has anyone used software they can recommend? Does it effect quality?

Thanks

Iwill try burning a CD and see if I have the out of sync problem. Have checked on the conversions programs. One I found has 18 steps to convert VRO files. It looks more complicated and time consuming than rerecording my VHS tapes in video mode. I also called Pioneer's help and was told that DVDs recorded in the VR mode would only play on Pioneer, could not be edited in other programs like Roxio. A lesson learned, DO NOT RECORD IN VR MODE.

Archived