• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Another Dvd Burning Question

wayne1935

Question

There are times when I record lengthy TV programs using my TV tuner card. These are too large to fit on a single DVD+RW. I know I can split the file over multuple discs wit EMC 8, but is there any way to compress the material to fit on a single disc? Quality is not an issue. These are not programs that are worth saving.

For instance, I recorded a 3 hr PBS program which is almost 8GB. Can I use EMC 8 to fit this on a single data disc or do I need another program? If I need another program, what is suggested?

TIA,

Wayne

4 answers to this question

My previous answer was really off base but I was afraid to delete this post in case it took the other posts with it. So this is a rewrite.

According to the instruction manual, you can take a dvd ready file (iso) and copy it to a DivX disc. If you have a player it should play that file. You have given me a project for the day ! :)

There are times when I record lengthy TV programs using my TV tuner card. These are too large to fit on a single DVD+RW. I know I can split the file over multuple discs wit EMC 8, but is there any way to compress the material to fit on a single disc? Quality is not an issue. These are not programs that are worth saving.

For instance, I recorded a 3 hr PBS program which is almost 8GB. Can I use EMC 8 to fit this on a single data disc or do I need another program? If I need another program, what is suggested?

TIA,

Wayne

For instance, I recorded a 3 hr PBS program which is almost 8GB. Can I use EMC 8 to fit this on a single data disc or do I need another program?

Unfortunately, I don't think MyDVD 8 will render a program that long. The lowest quality in project settings is 320X240 @ 4.5Mbps which is approx. 140min. This is one area where I think there is a major flaw. The bitrate should go down to 2Mbps. There are times when quality just isn't an issue.

Something you can try:

Open Videowave 8

Add your file

Edit out commercials if needed

Click on the RENDER TO FILE icon

In the MAKE MOVIE dialog box, click on NEW to create a custom file output profile.

In this dialog box, you can render an MPEG as low as 2Mbps. You may not need it that low though.

Render the 180mins video to a file and then place it in MyDVD.

Open MyDVD, create a DVD NO MENU project, add the file and try burning.

Sometimes MyDVD will not re-render a file.

Hope this works for you.

This is what I tried with DivX. I took a 32 minute iso file (2.26 gigs) and using V 8 Disc Copier/compilation made a DivX DVD. (There is a free DivX player that you can download from the 'net). When the disk was finished, a 500 Mb file was created. and played well with the player on the computer. If you can't get that entire 3 hour video to render at once, you may be able to cut it in half and then add both halves to the compilation. You can select to play both titles, one after another. I did do this on a DVD -RW disc.

Since i don't have a DivX compatible player I can't try it. Wonder if anyone is having a sale? :) Thank goodness for fast computers ! :D

My previous answer was really off base but I was afraid to delete this post in case it took the other posts with it. So this is a rewrite.

According to the instruction manual, you can take a dvd ready file (iso) and copy it to a DivX disc. If you have a player it should play that file. You have given me a project for the day ! :huh:

I'm sorry guys but I'm very new to Roxio and haven't used it for much except for burning and viewing commercial DVDs.

I don't see this: Click on the RENDER TO FILE icon. Is it called something else? The manual has several references to rendering but it seems like a process rather than an icon.

BTW, sknis I saw a Cyberhome player in a local WalMart a few hours ago on closeout for $65. I think it was the DVD655 model which does upconverting. According to the DIVX site: http://www.divx.com/products/products.php

it is a certfied product but the Cyberhome literature doesn't list Divx or mpeg4 as playback options.

Wayne

Archived