• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Naming A Cd

josephmina

Question

Using an iMac G5 and Toast 7 - Tiger 10.4.5

Successfully burnt an Audio CD, however, the name for the mounted CD was different than the custom name I used prior to the burn. The name of the mounted CD was one I used over a month ago. I know I entered the correct name prior to the burn, as it still appears on the audio panel (haven't closed out the program yet).

Appreciate any insight. Thanks

5 answers to this question

Using an iMac G5 and Toast 7 - Tiger 10.4.5

Successfully burnt an Audio CD, however, the name for the mounted CD was different than the custom name I used prior to the burn. The name of the mounted CD was one I used over a month ago. I know I entered the correct name prior to the burn, as it still appears on the audio panel (haven't closed out the program yet).

Appreciate any insight. Thanks

Macs don't read the CD Text info on the audio CD to display title and track names. Instead it reads a database file saved by iTunes. If you edit the name of this CD in iTunes it should appear correcly the next time it is inserted in your Mac.

Macs don't read the CD Text info on the audio CD to display title and track names. Instead it reads a database file saved by iTunes. If you edit the name of this CD in iTunes it should appear correcly the next time it is inserted in your Mac.

thanks for the information. I burn a custom CD of a consultation session, which I mail. I need to change the title to a specific person's name plus date before I burn. Given what you posted, how can I do this. thanks.

thanks for the information. I burn a custom CD of a consultation session, which I mail. I need to change the title to a specific person's name plus date before I burn. Given what you posted, how can I do this. thanks.

If you know that it is going to be played on a computer you can burn it as a data CD in which case the file name on the disc will be what you want. If, however, you want it to be playable on audio CD players then you can't really control what will appear when the disc is inserted into computers. This is a reality of the audio CD spec which was created long before computer CD drives existed.

One thing you can try is to upload the CD info to the CDDB using Toast or iTunes. Computers that are connected to the Internet typically look to CDDB to access title and track info for audio CDs that aren't already in a computer's CD info database file. However, if yours is a single track CD it is likely there will be several titles in the CDDB that may be downloaded instead of the one you intend. Also, you only should upload track info to CDDB is you're planning to distribute multiple copies of an audio CD.

Another option is to create an Enhanced audio CD in which you have the audio CD as the first session and a data CD of the AIFF (or MP3, if you prefer) on a second session. This way the disc will play on regular audio CD players but you'll also have a properly named file that can be played on a computer. Instructions for creating Enhanced CDs is in Toast Help.

Archived