• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jderouen

Unrecovered Read Error - Medium Error

Question

I've had this problem for a few days now. At first, I thought it was my drive so I replaced it with an LG DVD burner, but I still get the same results. It will let me copy some DVDs and not others. Some I have tried on a different PC and about half gave me the same error, while the others worked flawlessly. I don't get it. For a while I was thinking the medium was bad, but if that's the case why would some of them rip on another system?

This is the error I get: unrecovered read error - medium error

The writing speed will also jump around on the ones that eventually get the error. I will start out at 80x or 90x, jump down to 20x, start going slowly up, then drop dramatically to 10x or 5x or even lower.

The DVD burner on the second system is much older and, like I said, I've gotten this error with two different DVD burners, so I don't think any problems reside within the actual burner.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by jderouen

8 answers to this question

I've had this problem for a few days now. At first, I thought it was my drive so I replaced it with an LG DVD burner, but I still get the same results. It will let me copy some DVDs and not others. Some I have tried on a different PC and about half gave me the same error, while the others worked flawlessly. I don't get it. For a while I was thinking the medium was bad, but if that's the case why would some of them rip on another system?

The writing speed will also jump around on the ones that eventually get the error. I will start out at 80x or 90x, jump down to 20x, start going slowly up, then drop dramatically to 10x or 5x or even lower.

The DVD burner on the second system is much older and, like I said, I've gotten this error with two different DVD burners, so I don't think any problems reside within the actual burner.

Thanks,

Joe

If you are copying movies, there is a good chance it is the copy protection that is stopping you. Also some software DVDs may have the same thing.

Edited by marlinsinger

Thanks,

Joe

Definitely sounds like bad discs even if they "read" sometimes or on other systems. Writing speed of 80x or 90x? :blink:

Why not check the disc's for read errors in EMC 8, Tools, DVDInfo Pro.

Make sure DMA is enabled on the IDE channel for the optical drive.

cd

Why not check the disc's for read errors in EMC 8, Tools, DVDInfo Pro.

cd

I just loaded DVDInfo Pro, but am not sure exactly what to look for. What should I do to check for read errors??

Thanks!

Joe

If you are copying movies, there is a good chance it is the copy protection that is stopping you. Also some software DVDs may have the same thing.

Nothing I'm copying has copy protection.

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure which test cd was suggesting, but the CRC error one is the easiest.

-load your test disc in the drive

-click on the icon of a disc with a magnifying glass on it. A screen with a black graph grid should open

-click on Start, down to the right of the bottom of that black grid

-the drive should start reading, and the grid will be filled with green squares as the disc is checked.

If that shows no bad or suspect sectors, the next test along Pi/Po will do a deeper test, but takes longer. The start button for that is down near the bottom right corner. The important figures are the totals under the graph.

Regards,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

I just loaded DVDInfo Pro, but am not sure exactly what to look for. What should I do to check for read errors??

Thanks!

Joe

Yes, what Brendon said...Click on the CD/DVD Error Test button, depending what version, might not have a magnifying glass on it.

For Windows XP

1. Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.

2. Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.

3. If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.

4. Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.

5. Now, Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.

6. Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.

7. Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.

8. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.

9. Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.

10. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

11. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

12. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

13. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

14. Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.

15. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

16. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

17. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

18. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

19. Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.

cd

Thanks for the help, guys. I did run the program and it did find CRC errors on the DVDs in question, so I guess they are bad after all.

Well, if they give CRC errors in a good drive then they're bad burns.

Still, at least you have a tool now which will analyze burned discs for you. :)