• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
phyljohn

Toast 8 Won't Copy Video From Dvd-rw Disc

Question

:blink:

I recently upgraded to Toast 8.0.3 from Toast 7.1.3. With the latter I have no problem copying a not-copy-protected movie from a Memorex 2x DVD-RW disc to another disc. Toast 8.0.3 doesn't even recognize the same DVD-RW disc (type RITEKW01) that Toast 7 does even though the DVD-RW disc shows on the desktop.

I am trying to copy between the internal Superdrive and an external LaCie Firewire burner. I tried putting the video DVD-RW disc into both drives. In both cases Toast 8 doesn't recognize that there is a disc inserted. The pop-up menu for drives in Disc Copy shows only the names of the drives, not the name of the disc as Toast 7 does.

I tried dragging the disc icon onto the Disc Copy window of Toast 8 but it wouldn't stay. Toast 8 Disc Copy works alright with DVD-R discs.

My workaround is to drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD-RW disc into the Toast 8 VIDEO_TS Folder window using either the media browser or directly from the DVD-RW directory in the Finder, and burn a copy that way. I copied the movie to another DVD-RW disc using this technique in Toast 8. However, Toast 8 wouldn't recognize this disc when I reinserted it into each DVD drive.

Obviously this is not a question of incompatibility between the DVD-RW disc and the drives. Since Toast 7 recognizes the DVD-RW discs obviously there is something wrong with Toast 8.0.3. It seem that in upgrading to Toast 8 it's a matter of one step forward (there are a few new useful features) and one step back. It's no excuse for defective software to point out that there is a workaround. I hope that this defect in Toast 8 can be fixed in an update before one has to spend even more money to upgrade to Toast 9.

the gear: PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, Mac OS 10.4.11, 1 GB RAM; LaCie Firewire burner with NEC DVD-RW ND-3520AW.

3 answers to this question

You're right. I never tried this before but the content of a burned DVD-RW disc (even if it is a data disc) is not seen in the Copy window. However, the Eject button does eject the unseen but mounted disc. Obviously a bug in Toast 8.0.3. I hope a Roxio person sees your post.

:blink:

I recently upgraded to Toast 8.0.3 from Toast 7.1.3. With the latter I have no problem copying a not-copy-protected movie from a Memorex 2x DVD-RW disc to another disc. Toast 8.0.3 doesn't even recognize the same DVD-RW disc (type RITEKW01) that Toast 7 does even though the DVD-RW disc shows on the desktop.

I am trying to copy between the internal Superdrive and an external LaCie Firewire burner. I tried putting the video DVD-RW disc into both drives. In both cases Toast 8 doesn't recognize that there is a disc inserted. The pop-up menu for drives in Disc Copy shows only the names of the drives, not the name of the disc as Toast 7 does.

I tried dragging the disc icon onto the Disc Copy window of Toast 8 but it wouldn't stay. Toast 8 Disc Copy works alright with DVD-R discs.

My workaround is to drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD-RW disc into the Toast 8 VIDEO_TS Folder window using either the media browser or directly from the DVD-RW directory in the Finder, and burn a copy that way. I copied the movie to another DVD-RW disc using this technique in Toast 8. However, Toast 8 wouldn't recognize this disc when I reinserted it into each DVD drive.

Obviously this is not a question of incompatibility between the DVD-RW disc and the drives. Since Toast 7 recognizes the DVD-RW discs obviously there is something wrong with Toast 8.0.3. It seem that in upgrading to Toast 8 it's a matter of one step forward (there are a few new useful features) and one step back. It's no excuse for defective software to point out that there is a workaround. I hope that this defect in Toast 8 can be fixed in an update before one has to spend even more money to upgrade to Toast 9.

the gear: PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, Mac OS 10.4.11, 1 GB RAM; LaCie Firewire burner with NEC DVD-RW ND-3520AW.

I have the same problem exactly. I have not seen a work around. Am I missing something? Is there a solution to this problem?

I have the same problem exactly. I have not seen a work around. Am I missing something? Is there a solution to this problem?

The workaround is to add the content from the DVD-RW from the Finder to the Toast Data window after clicking New Disc. If it is a video DVD then choose DVD-ROM (UDF) as the format.