Sign in to follow this  
derekbarrier

Bump V.7

Question

BUMP7 only allows one to backup to DVD writer; or hard drive. Thus a USB tape drive must be recognized as a "formal" drive in Windows explorer.

My drive is NOT recognised as a formal hard drive with drive letter - although it is running normally and recognized in the hardwire devices when checking through My Computer Device manager.

Previously I used BUMP6 - and here the device was recognized as one of the back-up options - along with hard drive files and DVD writer.

Any ideas how to get my drive recognised please. I have latest HP driver file loaded.

5 answers to this question

BUMP7 only allows one to backup to DVD writer; or hard drive. Thus a USB tape drive must be recognized as a "formal" drive in Windows explorer.

My drive is NOT recognised as a formal hard drive with drive letter - although it is running normally and recognized in the hardwire devices when checking through My Computer Device manager.

Previously I used BUMP6 - and here the device was recognized as one of the back-up options - along with hard drive files and DVD writer.

Any ideas how to get my drive recognised please. I have latest HP driver file loaded.

I have to ask where did you get version 7. Did it come with the drive?

I also noticed your post about EMC 10. What comes with EMC 10 is Back on Track, not BUMP. I would be very surprised if BOT can read BUMP files. From what I have read BOT does not support tape.

Edited by marlinsinger

Originally, Sonic cust service had advised me that EMC 10 was fully compatable with BUMP. I bought it, and then discovered that it was not, and Sonic admitted their error. Previously I was using EMC 7.5, which included BUMP6. I specifically wished to have BUMP capability - hence they gave me a "free" BUMP7 download.

Maybe, I just need to "forget" BUMP7.and go back to BUMP6, which does work. But, I then just feel a bit agrieved at Sonic due to their incorrect info.

But, it does surprise me that BUMP7 does not sem to be compatable with one of the major players in the tape-drive hardware market.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards

Originally, Sonic cust service had advised me that EMC 10 was fully compatable with BUMP. I bought it, and then discovered that it was not, and Sonic admitted their error. Previously I was using EMC 7.5, which included BUMP6. I specifically wished to have BUMP capability - hence they gave me a "free" BUMP7 download.

Maybe, I just need to "forget" BUMP7.and go back to BUMP6, which does work. But, I then just feel a bit agrieved at Sonic due to their incorrect info.

But, it does surprise me that BUMP7 does not sem to be compatable with one of the major players in the tape-drive hardware market.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards

In reality, it doesn't surprise me much as BUMP is more of a home product. As expensive and slow as tape is, few are using it anymore. I gave them up at least 5 years ago. DVD and external HDD are much faster and just as reliable. When I was backing up by tape, it would take me 3+ hours. Now I do more onto DVD in 20-30 mins.

Does the version of BUMP they gave you have disaster recovery? And if it does, does it require floppies. I have been waiting for ages for a version 7 of BUMP that has DR. Only version I have heard of was the version that came with EMC 9. That one did not have DR.

In reality, it doesn't surprise me much as BUMP is more of a home product. As expensive and slow as tape is, few are using it anymore. I gave them up at least 5 years ago. DVD and external HDD are much faster and just as reliable. When I was backing up by tape, it would take me 3+ hours. Now I do more onto DVD in 20-30 mins.

Does the version of BUMP they gave you have disaster recovery? And if it does, does it require floppies. I have been waiting for ages for a version 7 of BUMP that has DR. Only version I have heard of was the version that came with EMC 9. That one did not have DR.

BUMP 6 seems to offer this capability OK - to create a disaster recovery set. it requires ones original XP install CD; upto 4 floppies, and media for the DVD writer. I got my BUMP 6 as part of EMC7, which I then upgraded to 7.5 some time back.

But, having looked at BUMP7, this capability seems to have disappeared!!

Regards

BUMP 6 seems to offer this capability OK - to create a disaster recovery set. it requires ones original XP install CD; upto 4 floppies, and media for the DVD writer. I got my BUMP 6 as part of EMC7, which I then upgraded to 7.5 some time back.

But, having looked at BUMP7, this capability seems to have disappeared!!

Regards

If it has no DR, then it is the version that came with EMC 9.