• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Editing

Jason81

Question

Hello, I purchased Roxio Creator and MyDVD 9.0 Premier with my new Dell. I have a Hitachi video camera that records directly onto the small DVD's. On each of these DVD's is a variety of things like my 2 year old playing and me swinging my golf club. What I would like to do is to separate the things with my kid out and burn them onto a separate DVD, so I can give them to his grandparents without them having to watch other stuff they are not interested in. I believe that this should be a fairly simple task but I cannot figure out how to do it.

The files that are on the DVD's are .VOB, which I believe may be causing some of my difficulties.

As you may have already figured out, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions that may come from me.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Are you saying that MyDVD does not recognize the vob files? MyDVD does accept vob files but perhaps you can try renaming .vob to .mpg and sse if that works.

Unfortunately, what I'm saying is that I don't even know where to go in the software to get started with this project. I've struggled with it for at least 2 hours tonight with no luck. I have a feeling that this software is set up for advanced video editing and the project I want to do could be accomplished by downloading something for free.

If someone can tell me what portion of the software will accomplish the task I'm interested in, I can give it a try and come back with more specific details as to what the problems I'm having involve. I believe I tried just about every different type of video editing procedure available on the software already with no success. But I'm sure that has more to do with me than with the software.

I don't have the Premier version but think it operates much like the version I have. Open up MyDVD, use the 'Add New Movie' (wording may be different) which should open up a browseable box so that you can navigate to where your files are stored. You might want to read up on the manual or the help files to get more specific info on what is possible.

Here are tutorials for the retail version of the EMC8 Suite and the MyDVD section may be of some help to you.

I don't have the Premier version but think it operates much like the version I have. Open up MyDVD, use the 'Add New Movie' (wording may be different) which should open up a browseable box so that you can navigate to where your files are stored. You might want to read up on the manual or the help files to get more specific info on what is possible.

Here are tutorials for the retail version of the EMC8 Suite and the MyDVD section may be of some help to you.

OK, I'll have to try that tomorrow, but I believe I've already tried what you described. Is there a term for what I'm trying to do that will make it easier to search in the Help function of the program?

OK, I'll have to try that tomorrow, but I believe I've already tried what you described. Is there a term for what I'm trying to do that will make it easier to search in the Help function of the program?

First, just copy the folders from the DVDs to your hard drive. Once there, you will work with the VOB files from those folders.

I don't have the standalone version of my DVD but this works in the version I have with EMC 9. It may be easier for you.

Open My DVD, add one of the video (VOB) files to the menu and then select it to edit (menu on left or right click on it). Another window will open. Select to add a video. Navigate to the video you added in the window that opens and right click on it to select the scenes.

This is for Video Wave but it should work in My DVD.

Use the instructions in the above video to select what you want. Once you have done that for each of the video files you have, go back and delete the original video you added -- it should be the first one in the story line view. Be sure not to delete the video that you navigated to.

That would put all the scenes you want in one movie. Alternately, you could repeat this multiple times to do the movies as separate entries in MyDVD. Since you can put about one hour of best quality videos on a DVD, you can decide to group the scenes in categories such as by year, occasion. You could also just have one movie without a menu so that it starts as soon as you put the disc in a DVD player (select new project, DVD without menus).

Hope you can understand my instructions. The advantage of this program is that you can do something simply or you can make a more involved project as you gain experience.

Does your version have the CineMagic option?

First, just copy the folders from the DVDs to your hard drive. Once there, you will work with the VOB files from those folders.

I don't have the standalone version of my DVD but this works in the version I have with EMC 9. It may be easier for you.

Open My DVD, add one of the video (VOB) files to the menu and then select it to edit (menu on left or right click on it). Another window will open. Select to add a video. Navigate to the video you added in the window that opens and right click on it to select the scenes.

This is for Video Wave but it should work in My DVD.

Use the instructions in the above video to select what you want. Once you have done that for each of the video files you have, go back and delete the original video you added -- it should be the first one in the story line view. Be sure not to delete the video that you navigated to.

That would put all the scenes you want in one movie. Alternately, you could repeat this multiple times to do the movies as separate entries in MyDVD. Since you can put about one hour of best quality videos on a DVD, you can decide to group the scenes in categories such as by year, occasion. You could also just have one movie without a menu so that it starts as soon as you put the disc in a DVD player (select new project, DVD without menus).

Hope you can understand my instructions. The advantage of this program is that you can do something simply or you can make a more involved project as you gain experience.

Does your version have the CineMagic option?

Thanks. I think that will help. The tutorial you posted is excellent. I didn't know I needed to move the files off the DVD onto the hard drive. See, I told you I was an idiot about this stuff.

I'm at work now, so I can't check, but I seem to remember there being 2 different extensions of files on the DVD. One was .VOB, but I can't remember the other. Should I copy the entire contents of the DVD onto the hard drive, or only the .VOB files, or shouldn't it matter?

Yes, I do have the CineMagic option. Is there additional functionality in there that may help me out?

Thanks. I think that will help. The tutorial you posted is excellent. I didn't know I needed to move the files off the DVD onto the hard drive. See, I told you I was an idiot about this stuff.

I'm at work now, so I can't check, but I seem to remember there being 2 different extensions of files on the DVD. One was .VOB, but I can't remember the other. Should I copy the entire contents of the DVD onto the hard drive, or only the .VOB files, or shouldn't it matter?

Yes, I do have the CineMagic option. Is there additional functionality in there that may help me out?

I'm back home and my frustration is mounting. I took the recommendations (using myDVD) above and it still didn't work. There was a "preloaded" sample video (.wmv format) of a bear on the computer and that didn't work as well. However, when using the Cinemagic functionality, I was able to cut scenes from the bear video like illustrated above. I attempted to do the same with my .vob files, however, it doesn't appear as though that format is supported by the cinemagic portion of the software.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Archived