Finalizing Copyied Dvd Disk.

cbrhs819dc

Question

Help, I have a H P Pavilion desk top with a H. D. Lite Scribe DVD burner & player. It has Roxio v9 installed. When I copy a video I shot from one disk to another on my computer, the copied dvd will not play on my Sony DVD player. They will play only on a dvd burner. After I copy a movie on the blank dvd disk, it will not let me finalize the disk. I have used HP LightScribe DVD+R & Memorex DVD+R disk. When I try to finalize, it says disk not copendable or something like that. The light scribe labler works great. I have made 7 copies that will not play on any thing but a burner/player. I have cleaned the Sony player 2 times, that did not help. I have a Toshiba laptop with a burner, it will play them, as well as my other burner, under the TV. Some times 2of them are hard to get started on it, but then they will play. I have spent 7 hrs on the phone with HP tech support, one from Canada. He had me remove Roxio, & then reinstall it. That did not help. Then I got a girl from Argentina, who is still in school. She had me back up all my files so she could reset the factory spects or something. She got of work before the back up finished. Then I got a guy from India, that I could not understand much he said. He said that when ever the disk was copied it was auto finalized. I do not believe that is happening, if so why would Roxio have a seperate step for finalizeing. I have tried to play the 7 disk I copied on my neighbors DVD player, not a Sony. Same results, will not play, act like they are not finalized. I have tried to finalize them on the burner that I made the dvd's from that I had copied. It would not do it. On it you have to format disk, then record video, then finalize, & they will play on anybodys player. What do I need to do? I am almost ready to get a 8lb sledge hammer & start swining at this darn thing. P.S. I do not know how to type, just hunt & peck. Will be back tommorow. Thanks, cbrhs819dc :angry:

6 answers to this question

Help, I have a H P Pavilion desk top with a H. D. Lite Scribe DVD burner & player. It has Roxio v9 installed. When I copy a video I shot from one disk to another on my computer, the copied dvd will not play on my Sony DVD player. They will play only on a dvd burner. After I copy a movie on the blank dvd disk, it will not let me finalize the disk. I have used HP LightScribe DVD+R & Memorex DVD+R disk. When I try to finalize, it says disk not copendable or something like that. The light scribe labler works great. I have made 7 copies that will not play on any thing but a burner/player. I have cleaned the Sony player 2 times, that did not help. I have a Toshiba laptop with a burner, it will play them, as well as my other burner, under the TV. Some times 2of them are hard to get started on it, but then they will play. I have spent 7 hrs on the phone with HP tech support, one from Canada. He had me remove Roxio, & then reinstall it. That did not help. Then I got a girl from Argentina, who is still in school. She had me back up all my files so she could reset the factory spects or something. She got of work before the back up finished. Then I got a guy from India, that I could not understand much he said. He said that when ever the disk was copied it was auto finalized. I do not believe that is happening, if so why would Roxio have a seperate step for finalizeing. I have tried to play the 7 disk I copied on my neighbors DVD player, not a Sony. Same results, will not play, act like they are not finalized. I have tried to finalize them on the burner that I made the dvd's from that I had copied. It would not do it. On it you have to format disk, then record video, then finalize, & they will play on anybodys player. What do I need to do? I am almost ready to get a 8lb sledge hammer & start swining at this darn thing. P.S. I do not know how to type, just hunt & peck. Will be back tommorow. Thanks, cbrhs819dc :angry:

Finalizing a disc is only required when you create a data disc. You should never format a disc unless you want to use Drag-to-Disc.

Did you install the proper Lightscribe drivers from HP? What program from EMC 9 did you use to copy the DVD? You cannot simply copy files from one DVD to another that does not create a DVD you can play on a DVD player. If you used DiscCopier to make a copy of your DVD then the fellow from India is correct: the DVDis finalized.

Unless you give us the information on how you "copied" from one DVD to the other, we are just guessing at your problem.

When I try to finalize, it says disk not copendable or something like that. The light scribe labler works great. I have made 7 copies that will not play on any thing but a burner/player. I have cleaned the Sony player 2 times, that did not help. I have a Toshiba laptop with a burner, it will play them, as well as my other burner, under the TV. Some times 2of them are hard to get started on it, but then they will play.

Did your "Roxio v9 installed" come pre-installed on the pc, or did you buy a retail version and install it? Look in start, all programs, Roxio EMC 9, tools. DVDInfo Pro. Put one of these non playing disc's in the drive and open the DVDInfo Pro program. Make sure your drive is showing at the bootom of the screen and click the info icon, top left. Then click the clipboard icon top right, it will save the info on your pc so you can right click paste that info in a post here, like I did below!

If you don't have DVDInfo Pro download the free version click here.

Free Version

DVDInfoPro v4.7.6 Free Version [4.79Mb] - Advert supported version

All new DVDInfoPro Toolbar included

This version expires after 28 days.

Roxio DVDInfo Pro

Media Information

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG05

Format Type UDF 1.02

Volume Name New

Application id

Implementation id AHEAD Nero

Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 11/ 5/2005 23:39:37

Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)

Book Type DVD-R

Media Type DVD-R

Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

2x Speed OPC beta 08

2x Speed OPC power 12

2x Write Strategy field 1 11 98 9A 80

2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta 06

4x Speed OPC power 18

4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 07 07

4x Write Strategy field 2 97 06 0C 0B

4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00

4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04

4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D

4x Write Strategy field 4 17 B8 88 75

4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 98 81 00 10

4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00

Data area starting sector 30000h

Data area end sector 22E21Fh

Linear Density 0.267um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 86 0E 11 .l...@....R.....

00000010 98 9A 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 35 00 .....RITEKG..05.

00000020 00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 08 12 11 ................

cd

Roxio came already installed on the computer when I bought it on Dec 14th. It was Jan 31st before I started trying to copy some of my DVD's for a couple of my friends. I have made a bunch of DVD's from all the video footage I made when I was working on, firing, or chasing steam locomotives. A lot of them was footage I shot when we were restoring the Cotton Belt 819. So everything I have done is video footage. Thanks for the input, will download & try later today. cbrhs819dc

I have made a bunch of DVD's from all the video footage I made when I was working on, firing, or chasing steam locomotives.

With this software in the new pc?

It was Jan 31st before I started trying to copy some of my DVD's for a couple of my friends

In what application of HP's version of the Roxio software, are you using to copy the disc's?

I still want the screen shot of a disc that won't play..

cd

The disc I am coping off of were made on a ILO player, burner. My burner on the HP computer is a HL-DT-ST DVDRW DL[E:] I am using the Roxio Basic v9. I click on copy, then click on copy disc. The master disc records to the computer, then pops out, I replace a blank disc in then it burns it. When I click on finalize it won't do it says copendable or something, don't remember. I do not want to add any thing to the disc later. I don't know how to get you a screen shot of the disc. I am a 67 yr old foggey that is a dummy with some of this hi tech stuff. I hope I have gave you the info you kneed. Thanks, cbrhs819dc

Archived