Videowave 10- Text Scrolling

Shawn Stockford

Question

11 answers to this question

Can I have the text scroll only upto a certain point on the screen? Could I have it scroll up from the bottom to say the 1/2 way point and dissappear. That way I could have a pic on the top half of the screen and not have the text scroll over it. I have not been able to lcoate any controls for this.

Yes, it is all in the timing and selection of the speed and of the movement. Did you watch the video on the scrolling text (third one down)?

It sound like what you want to try is two overlays. Add a color panel to the main track. Add the video or image as the first overlay and adjust it to the top of the main track. Add a second color panel as another overlay. Add the text to that and adjust the scrolling text. Move that to the bottom of the main track.

You'll have to play with the length of the first color panel and the two overlays to get it the way you want to.

Can I have the text scroll only upto a certain point on the screen? Could I have it scroll up from the bottom to say the 1/2 way point and dissappear. That way I could have a pic on the top half of the screen and not have the text scroll over it. I have not been able to lcoate any controls for this.

Thanks, that was a great video, however, I believe I did not clarify myself very well, my fault. I want to display several lines of text using only the bottom half of the screen. So imagine I was scrolling credits for a movie (several lines of tex) and only wanted to use the bottom half of the screen. So when the first line hit the top of the bottom half of the screen, it would dissappear and a new line would come on the bottom of the screen. This would keep happening until all the text had scrolled to top of the bottom half of the screen and dissappeared.

Thanks

Thanks, that was a great video, however, I believe I did not clarify myself very well, my fault. I want to display several lines of text using only the bottom half of the screen. So imagine I was scrolling credits for a movie (several lines of tex) and only wanted to use the bottom half of the screen. So when the first line hit the top of the bottom half of the screen, it would dissappear and a new line would come on the bottom of the screen. This would keep happening until all the text had scrolled to top of the bottom half of the screen and dissappeared.

Thanks

Plase re-read my post about using two overlay tracks. I understood your post, the video was to show you how to add scrolling text to a track.

Plase re-read my post about using two overlay tracks. I understood your post, the video was to show you how to add scrolling text to a track.

I think you are looking for something like this, right. I still have not worked out all the details but it should work. The bottom panel will have to be an image or a jpg of a solid color panel to make it easier.

There may also be a different (easier) way of doing this.

post-58-1202237837.jpg

I think you are looking for something like this, right. I still have not worked out all the details but it should work. The bottom panel will have to be an image or a jpg of a solid color panel to make it easier.

There may also be a different (easier) way of doing this.

OK, I've been playing around with it. This works for me.

1) Add a color panel.

2) Add the image as an overlay

3) Make sure it fits into the TV safe zone and is the width of the display area.

4) Select the color panel and select the internal track.

5) Add the text. Type in all that you want (By the way, a sliding text might be better than rolling)

6) Apply the effect you want. For scrolling text, you do not have to do anything with position. The text will scroll under the image you have.

7) If you do want to add something like a sliding text, use the position option to move the text to the bottom of the page (inside the TV safe zone).

Sorry for all the other instructions before.

I see how this works. Basically, the first pic as the first overlay is just acting as a screen to cover the scrolling on the upper half of the screen. This will work great as long as the pic has no transperency effects to it or is large enough to cover all of the screen area of the top half. I had some ideas for future projects that I would have several pics fade in and fade out of the top half. This idea would not work as well for that as it might expose the scrolling text on the top half for brief moments.

Thanks so much for the idea, it will work wonderfully for my current project. This might be a thought for the programmers on the next release.

Thanks again.

In addition to Steve's remarkable tutorials, and for those situations when you can't use an overlay, here is another way to scroll text to a predetermined position.

(Working in Timeline view)

Add the Basic Credits text effect. Now click Play to play the object until it reaches the point where you want it to disappear. Click the Stop button.

Now click the "Set End Time" button next to the jog wheel under the Preview window. If you aren't happy with where you have stopped it, just drag the effect longer or shorter, and then click the "Set End Time" button.

When you have it stopped in the position you want, edit the text attributes to your liking. I would advise keeping it to one line using this method. You can add more scrolling text effects to subsequent text overlay tracks to scroll up underneath the original text effect. Just add them staggered and end them using the "Set End Time" button described above. Using individual scrolling text effects make it appear they are scrolling and disappearing one after another. (Instead of filling in all of your info on the one Basic Credits effect, which will disappear all at once.)

This a part of one method I use to "scroll and hold" text on the screen. If you are interested, I can post that as well.

I made one quickly to show you if this is something like what you are trying to do:

http://roxioemc.bravehost.com/textscroll.wmv

In addition to Steve's remarkable tutorials, and for those situations when you can't use an overlay, here is another way to scroll text to a predetermined position.

(Working in Timeline view)

Add the Basic Credits text effect. Now click Play to play the object until it reaches the point where you want it to disappear. Click the Stop button.

Now click the "Set End Time" button next to the jog wheel under the Preview window. If you aren't happy with where you have stopped it, just drag the effect longer or shorter, and then click the "Set End Time" button.

When you have it stopped in the position you want, edit the text attributes to your liking. I would advise keeping it to one line using this method. You can add more scrolling text effects to subsequent text overlay tracks to scroll up underneath the original text effect. Just add them staggered and end them using the "Set End Time" button described above. Using individual scrolling text effects make it appear they are scrolling and disappearing one after another. (Instead of filling in all of your info on the one Basic Credits effect, which will disappear all at once.)

This a part of one method I use to "scroll and hold" text on the screen. If you are interested, I can post that as well.

I made one quickly to show you if this is something like what you are trying to do:

http://roxioemc.bravehost.com/textscroll.wmv

This is great. Two great ideas. Please, anyone that is fairly new, trust the forum. They can help you quicker than tech support.

Archived