• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dropped Frames When Capturing?

ilana

Question

i captured a mini-dv tape using windv on my windows vista pc. at the end of the capture, the program told me there were 179 dropped frames. on past captures, i have had 0 dropped frames. the only thing i can readily think of that i did differently than past captures is that my screen saver (of rotating pictures) was on while capturing.

my question... what do the dropped frames mean on a practical level? will my video clips/scenes not play smoothly? should i delete what has been captured and capture the tape again (with the screen saver disabled).

thanks for your insight!

best,

ilana

7 answers to this question

Why not try and do the capturing from your miniDV tapes to your computer using Roxio's capture rather than WinDV ? Give that a shot and see what you get.

BTW, this link might help you with future dropped frames no matter how you accomplish it:

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2005...eo_capture.html

Frank...

i captured a mini-dv tape using windv on my windows vista pc. at the end of the capture, the program told me there were 179 dropped frames. on past captures, i have had 0 dropped frames. the only thing i can readily think of that i did differently than past captures is that my screen saver (of rotating pictures) was on while capturing.

my question... what do the dropped frames mean on a practical level? will my video clips/scenes not play smoothly? should i delete what has been captured and capture the tape again (with the screen saver disabled).

thanks for your insight!

best,

ilana

Having a Screen Saver running will certainly cause problems and may well be the source of your dropped frames.

Archived