• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

planetweckesser

Cyberlink Power Dvd Ultra - No Longer Can Play Dvdit Blu-ray Discs

Question

I just updated my Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra software to the newest patch to build 3730 dated 1/31/2008 and it no longer plays Blu-ray discs authored with DVDit Pro HD - it gives the error message "Disc format not supported". I uninstalled the software and installed the original again and no problem. Is this the problem that has been mentioned before on this forum with companies "backtracking" in supporting BDMV because of copyright issues? The same disc plays ok with Nero 8 (latest version). Can anyone else confirm?

Edited by planetweckesser

12 answers to this question

with 7.3.2605.0 it will play

with 7.3.3730.0 I get "A disc with an unsupported format in drive "

One step backwards ...

Just so Sony doesn't mess up my PlayStation 3!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TomInIowa

Here is something I got from Cyberlink

We understand your concern related with PowerDVD 7.3/Ultra software.

In regard to your concern, we like to inform you that this feature to play HD/BD DVD's from the harddrive has been removed from the new build of the CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra software. So, if you use the new build of the PowerDVD Ultra software then you will not be able to play HD/BD DVD's from harddrive.

This feature has been removed from the new version due to some security policies of the organization which set standards for HD/BD DVD's.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience caused.

Edited by TomInIowa

Here is something I got from Cyberlink

We understand your concern related with PowerDVD 7.3/Ultra software.

In regard to your concern, we like to inform you that this feature to play HD/BD DVD's from the harddrive has been removed from the new build of the CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra software. So, if you use the new build of the PowerDVD Ultra software then you will not be able to play HD/BD DVD's from harddrive.

This feature has been removed from the new version due to some security policies of the organization which set standards for HD/BD DVD's.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience caused.

Sort of goes along with my thought process on my original post. However, it is my uderstanding that the Blu-ray disc association allowed playing of BD-R and BD-RE as optional. Anyone know if there are newer policies out that prohibit this? If this is so then we may see other software vendors and hardware makers adopting the same stance. Then what? - have to spend 60K for an authoring program to produce your own discs??

Sort of goes along with my thought process on my original post. However, it is my uderstanding that the Blu-ray disc association allowed playing of BD-R and BD-RE as optional. Anyone know if there are newer policies out that prohibit this? If this is so then we may see other software vendors and hardware makers adopting the same stance. Then what? - have to spend 60K for an authoring program to produce your own discs??

I think that we are passed that rumour and we know that it is ok to play BDMV on BD-R as long as the hardware is compliant to the specs. We've seen a lot of players get nrew firmware top play these discs ok.

Read carefully the response from Cyberlink, it is only when playing BDMV from the hard drive. It should then still work from the actual BD disc.

Thanks for the infomation on Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra. I might not update my version. It's all part of the digital rights management scheme.

I think that we are passed that rumour and we know that it is ok to play BDMV on BD-R as long as the hardware is compliant to the specs. We've seen a lot of players get nrew firmware top play these discs ok.

Read carefully the response from Cyberlink, it is only when playing BDMV from the hard drive. It should then still work from the actual BD disc.

No, it doesn't work from the BD disc - that is how I found the problem - a byproduct is that I could no longer play the blu-ray volume file from the hard drive. Please re-read the first two posts of this topic - another person also found the same problem - TomInIowa.

The below quote may be the problem:

On April 16, 2007, the AACS consortium announced that it had expired certain encryption keys used by PC-based applications. Patches were available for WinDVD and PowerDVD which used new and uncompromised encryption keys.The old, compromised keys can still be used to decrypt old titles, but not newer releases as they will be encrypted with these new keys. All users of the affected players (even those considered "legitimate" by the AACS LA) are forced to upgrade or replace their player software in order to view new titles.

with 7.3.2605.0 it will play

with 7.3.3730.0 I get "A disc with an unsupported format in drive "

One step backwards ...

Just so Sony doesn't mess up my PlayStation 3!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently bought Power DVD Ultra and got per download version 7.3.3730a.0. I have it installed and cannot play my created BD-volumes from harddisk. How can I get the former version 7.3.2605.0?

Joachim

I would suggest calling Cyberlink and asking them what to do. Seems that Cyberlink has removed the ability to play HD and BD from the hard drive.

I would suggest calling Cyberlink and asking them what to do. Seems that Cyberlink has removed the ability to play HD and BD from the hard drive.

They also removed the ability to play BDMV files from the blu ray drive!

They also removed the ability to play BDMV files from the blu ray drive!

Cyberlink just updated their 3730 to 3230a update - still will not play BDMV (from DVDit Pro HD) or volume files from the hard drive. Interesting enough it will play BDMV from Power Producer 5.0 (no big surprise same company) - the test BDMV I did with Power Producer used .m2t files for inupt and there was NO transcoding.

All this makes me wonder about a year from now ....

If I make a bdmv disc, will it play on "stand alone" blu ray players.

Any idea if a disc made using Cyberlink software is more/less "compatible" than DvdItPro software? (talking about on stand alone blu ray players)