Retreive

snap

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I don't know if this should be a new post instead of a reply here, but I thought it was basically the same topic.

I recently made a backup of my documents with Roxio Easy CD & DVD 6 (Version 6.0.0.17) using Creator Classic. As the data was about 1.8 GB, it spanned the data across 3 discs (CD-R)

I am now unable to read the retrieved files. Roxio Retrieve does allow me to copy all the files onto the hard disk, but once copied, none of the files are readable. I am afraid I've lost all the data.

I've been reading the posts on this forum, and I used both IsoBuster and CDRoller to try to retrieve the files, but both do exactly the same as Roxio Retrieve. I am able to extract the files, but unable to read any of them.

When I open a word document, it asks what encoding it ought to use, and no matter what I choose, I get a corrupt document with a series of boxes. Other filetypes don't even open.

Is there any way I can save my data? There are some documents that are important, and I'd be happy to be able to retrieve just those.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Snap

This is a new topic for sure.

You used compression when you made the set so you must use Retrieve.exe to recover anything from the set!!!

You can't simply copy nor will another software, as you found, be able to do anything with the files.

If Retreive.exe doesn't auto start, use Explorer and go the disc and start it.

This is a new topic for sure.

You used compression when you made the set so you must use Retrieve.exe to recover anything from the set!!!

Thank you for your reply Jim!

I did use Retrieve.exe to recover the files. I am able to copy them onto the hard disk, but I am unable to read them correctly. Does Retrieve.exe have any option to specify decompression?

Whilst browsing through the files I noticed that there was one word document that I could read correctly. Could it be that the rest of the files are just corrupt? I would really like to be able to read the rest of the 2000+ files!!

Thank you for your time.

On an aside, I encountered a problem whilst trying to retrieve - i'll explain it here as it might help someone. Whilst trying to extract to a My Documents folder in XP, Roxio said that there wasnt enough disk space. There was enough in reality, so I checked the folder permissions. The Read Only attribute was ticked. I had to change it using the instructions in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/

Create an New Folder on your HD and have Retrieve extract to there. It already knows if it compressed them.

Now if you used any other compression method with the files before backing them up, all bets are off!

Disc Space and Read Only are completely unrelated. Also the r/o checkbox actually has 3 states! Unchecked, some files are r/o or all files are r/o. Most people don't understand the last 2 and don't see the difference…

I tried that, no luck. I am able to retrieve the files to the new folder, but unable to read any of them. I am quite sure that I hadn't compressed the files before backing them up.

I suppose there is little else I can do.

I am going to try some software to recover the deleted files from my hard disk if possible.

Thanks for your help though!!! I appreciate it!

Archived