Tivo To Dvd Success, And Question

roxioBill

Question

Hello all,

Brand new to this so bear with me please :)

I'm using videowave and mydvd (EMC9) to remove commercials and burn files from my tivo to dvd. I've got the basics figured out and have some shows on dvd that are watchable. I'm trying to improve the quality of the final product now.

My process goes like this:

- Use videowave to export the tivo files as avi's

- Use videowave to remove the commercials from the avi's and export as mpeg2

- Use MyDVD to burn the mpeg's to dvd

From what I've read here, it seems like others are able to edit the tivo files directly in videowave. Maybe it's my rig (2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon X850 agp), but trying to find specific spots (like the black screen between the show and a commercial) is an exercise in frustration unless I first convert these to avi's. With avi's, the jog wheel and slider and frame step buttons all work splendidly.

What I've noticed is that the tivo files I'm working with are 480x480 and the avi's I make with videowave are by default 320x240.

I thought maybe I was reducing the quality of the video when I converted them to avi, so I tried converting to 640x480 but I don't have the disk space heh...a long confusing path ensues and now here is where I'm at:

I am now working with a medium quality tivo file that comes in as 352x480.

In videowave this displays as expected, a normal 4:3 video (which I don't understand, because 352x480 isn't 4:3...)

If I convert that to a 352x480 avi

- in videowave, the avi looks like a vertical rectanlge -- the video is compressed horizontally

- in windows media player 11, the avi looks square -- again compressed horizontally, but less so than in videowave

If I convert to a 320x480 avi (videowave's default 'general editing' output option)

- in videowave, the avi looks like a normal 4:3 video

- in wmp 11, the avi looks square still

So, my question is:

Should I worry about the resolution of the avi I'm making from the tivo files? Videowave's default 320x240 avi "works"...I just want to make sure I'm not degrading the quality of my final dvd unnecesarily.

Thanks! :)

Bill

1 answer to this question

Hello all,

Brand new to this so bear with me please :)

I'm using videowave and mydvd (EMC9) to remove commercials and burn files from my tivo to dvd. I've got the basics figured out and have some shows on dvd that are watchable. I'm trying to improve the quality of the final product now.

My process goes like this:

- Use videowave to export the tivo files as avi's

- Use videowave to remove the commercials from the avi's and export as mpeg2

- Use MyDVD to burn the mpeg's to dvd

From what I've read here, it seems like others are able to edit the tivo files directly in videowave. Maybe it's my rig (2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon X850 agp), but trying to find specific spots (like the black screen between the show and a commercial) is an exercise in frustration unless I first convert these to avi's. With avi's, the jog wheel and slider and frame step buttons all work splendidly.

What I've noticed is that the tivo files I'm working with are 480x480 and the avi's I make with videowave are by default 320x240.

I thought maybe I was reducing the quality of the video when I converted them to avi, so I tried converting to 640x480 but I don't have the disk space heh...a long confusing path ensues and now here is where I'm at:

I am now working with a medium quality tivo file that comes in as 352x480.

In videowave this displays as expected, a normal 4:3 video (which I don't understand, because 352x480 isn't 4:3...)

If I convert that to a 352x480 avi

- in videowave, the avi looks like a vertical rectanlge -- the video is compressed horizontally

- in windows media player 11, the avi looks square -- again compressed horizontally, but less so than in videowave

If I convert to a 320x480 avi (videowave's default 'general editing' output option)

- in videowave, the avi looks like a normal 4:3 video

- in wmp 11, the avi looks square still

So, my question is:

Should I worry about the resolution of the avi I'm making from the tivo files? Videowave's default 320x240 avi "works"...I just want to make sure I'm not degrading the quality of my final dvd unnecesarily.

Thanks! :)

Bill

Since you eventually want to create a DVD you want the resolution as close as possible to the required format which is 720x480. To get that in an avi use the "DV format Avi" option. You will need lots of hard disk space: figure on about 12-14GB for 60 minutes of video.

There is actually no need to output to mpeg after editing the avi file in Videowave. Save your editing project as a project file (dmsm extension) then launch myDVD and use "Add Movie" to add the project file as a movie then setup your menu and burn

Archived