Back Up Requiring More Than One Disc

Digtal Designs

Question

I have not yet purchased EMC10 and am comparing to Nero 8 for my needs. One major question that I see I can do with Nero 8 but not sure about EMC10 is that when backing up a lot of files, are you able to add all files to one "project" and then it will ask for next disc, rather than have to set up only one disc at a time?

Not sure if that is clear or not. We need to be able to back up our external HD to dvd. This is going to take many discs. Can I tell it that I want to back up the entire drive and then it will start with the first disc and then ask for more when ready rather than giving me a "too much data for one disc" message?

Thanks for you help in making my decision on software.

2 answers to this question

I have not yet purchased EMC10 and am comparing to Nero 8 for my needs. One major question that I see I can do with Nero 8 but not sure about EMC10 is that when backing up a lot of files, are you able to add all files to one "project" and then it will ask for next disc, rather than have to set up only one disc at a time?

Not sure if that is clear or not. We need to be able to back up our external HD to dvd. This is going to take many discs. Can I tell it that I want to back up the entire drive and then it will start with the first disc and then ask for more when ready rather than giving me a "too much data for one disc" message?

Thanks for you help in making my decision on software.

I think you're talking about 'spanning disks' and I'm not sure that's a good idea because retrieving data from spanned disks has been problematic.

If you really want to retrieve data from those DVDs, you'd be better off using Creator Classic and adding only enough files to fill that DVD.

However, EMC 10 does support Disk Spanning in Creator Classic.

If you use that feature, I'd recommend choosing the option to Do not split files over multiple disks.

I'm curious to know just how much space your Ext. HD takes up. My 500GB ext. HD has 123GB of files on it, so no matter what program I use as far as EMC 10 is concerned, even with DVD-DL discs, I'd be using 15 or more DVD-DL discs just to back everything up using the spanning method, or one DL disc at a time.

If you don't have that much on the ext. HD, then using ml's suggestion (Creator Classic and not split files) would be the way to go.

Frank...

Archived