Large Divx File Sizes In Roxio10....anyone Know Why?

Robert1000

Question

Hi,

Firstly if this is in the wrong forum my apologies, if so could someone oint me in the right direction.............

I have been using Roxio8 on my desktop under XP to encode my DVD’s into DivX format with no problem using the Disc Copier utility. Recently upgraded to a laptop and purchased Roxio10 as the laptop runs Vista and have encountered the following problems.

I go through the same steps as before but when I get to the ‘Save As’ option Roxio 10 lets me choose where I want to save the new DivX file , i.e. which directory, but does not give me the option of what I want to name it as – it just goes straight into the encoding process, however the real problem is as follows………….

……..the drive I need to save it to is a FAT32 drive and Roxio10 tells me that the file is larger than 4GB which it never was before, (Roxio8 saved my 90 minute videos to about 1.5-2GB which was fine) but Roxio10 won’t save to a FAT formatted drive because it says the file is larger than 4GB and FAT32 won’t allow that – let alone the disk space overhead I would incur. I tried saving to an NTFS drive and it’s saved it as two separate split AVI files one of 1.9GB and another of 1.1GB. On checking the properties of the file it's encoded at a much higher bitrate and total bitrate, the values are about double a similar file created in Roxio8 and I can't see anywhere where these values are set or if they can be changed.

Only answer I've had back so far from support is to change the output settings in Video Wave but I don't want to use Video Wave as it only shows collections of VOB files whereas the Disc Copier utility lets me see the files themselves as single entities and I can select which ones I want.

Bottom line is Roxio8 worked great and was really happy with it – what am I doing wrong with Roxio10?

Many Thanks

Rob

4 answers to this question

Hello Robert1000,

Sorry, but the link Terry posted refers to another problem with a particular version of DivX - it's not relevant to this problem.

No, you're not doing anything wrong. The disc copier in Version 9, and Copy & Convert 3, and Video Copy and Convert in version 10.0 all have the same BUG. - They will not convert any video file to any other video format in FAT32.

For some reason, no matter how big the output file will be, the application tests to see if it can write a file of about 5 GB. If you have your disc formatted in FAT32 or if you have NTFS with less than 5GB free, the application bombs out with that error message. Very sloppy coding.

The error has been reported to Roxio, but I don't know what they intend to do about it. :(

Hello Robert1000,

Sorry, but the link Terry posted refers to another problem with a particular version of DivX - it's not relevant to this problem.

No, you're not doing anything wrong. The disc copier in Version 9, and Copy & Convert 3, and Video Copy and Convert in version 10.0 all have the same BUG. - They will not convert any video file to any other video format in FAT32.

For some reason, no matter how big the output file will be, the application tests to see if it can write a file of about 5 GB. If you have your disc formatted in FAT32 or if you have NTFS with less than 5GB free, the application bombs out with that error message. Very sloppy coding.

The error has been reported to Roxio, but I don't know what they intend to do about it. :(

One solution is to get yourself an external HD formatted as NTFS to do the conversion to. Once that's done, you can copy it back to your FAT32 drive.

Archived