Sound Editor Won't Play!

heyjude85023

Question

i can not use sound editor! (v.7.5) i can load the music file, it shows up.

but when i click on the "play" button, nothing happens. nada.

no message, no sound, no error, nothing.

no matter what sound file i load, the application just sits there like a big screen saver, doing absolutely nothing.

if i go up to the top of the window and select the pull down and choose play, same nothing happens. if i got some kind of error message at least i could troubleshoot, but NOTHING happens. the buttons are not grayed out; everything looks like it should work.

i wrote to roxio; fat lot of good that did, i never got a response.

can someone out there in forum land please help?

12 answers to this question

i can not use sound editor! (v.7.5) i can load the music file, it shows up.

but when i click on the "play" button, nothing happens. nada.

no message, no sound, no error, nothing.

no matter what sound file i load, the application just sits there like a big screen saver, doing absolutely nothing.

if i go up to the top of the window and select the pull down and choose play, same nothing happens. if i got some kind of error message at least i could troubleshoot, but NOTHING happens. the buttons are not grayed out; everything looks like it should work.

i wrote to roxio; fat lot of good that did, i never got a response.

can someone out there in forum land please help?

What type of music file is it and where did it come from? Could be copy protected.

If everything is doing and looking like it should as the OP suggests and if the OP can play audio files using whatever audio hardware he has using other programs, then I am guseesing that something is either mutted or for some reason the audio file is copy protected. But even then, I don't think it would load to begin with.

Strange. I'm still curious about on-board and dedicated sound hardware and how it reacts with the program at least as far as what the tools menu has to offer. I'm beginning to guess that it's just the difference between the two versions (i.e. 7.1 and 7.5) and has nothing to do with what hardware is controlling the sound.

Maybe we will hear back from the OP that has the problem and get a few more clues.

Frank....

1. If everything is loading O.K. and you see the track on the screen after it loads, check to see what device you are using to play the audio files. When in Sound Editor, click on TOOLS and on the drop down menu click on PLAYBACK DEVICE. Is it set to the right device for your computer ? (Sound card, on-board audio chip etc.).

As Frank explained in the post above.

The only options that are on the ver. 7.5 Tools are:

Add remove marker

Add New Track

Insert Silence

---------------------------

Track Detection

--------------------------

Fading and Volume

Clean Up Audio

Effects

Home

------------------------

Options

That's what I get 7.5.2.49 PCI sound card, onboard sound disabled.

In control panel Sounds and Audio Devices Properties my PCI sound card is listed SB X-FI Audio[DF40]

What this shows is your audio device. I wouldn't install a PCI sound card and it's drivers, before uninstalling the onboard and disabling it in the bios. Unless you really like problems.

7.5_audio.jpg

cdanteek

:) I am having exactly the same problem, and haven't found any help yet. I tried deleting the software and reinstalling it, but it did not help. Now I've even lost my original disks, so I don't know what to do. Do you know if deleting the software and loading Esy Media Creator 8 might help? Would this be an upgrade, or would I have to buy the whole thing over again? Let me know if you find out anything as this problem has persisted for months now, with no resolution in sight.

:) I am having exactly the same problem, and haven't found any help yet. I tried deleting the software and reinstalling it, but it did not help. Now I've even lost my original disks, so I don't know what to do. Do you know if deleting the software and loading Esy Media Creator 8 might help? Would this be an upgrade, or would I have to buy the whole thing over again? Let me know if you find out anything as this problem has persisted for months now, with no resolution in sight.

"Let me know if you find out anything". The user that started this thread has not been on here since March.

At that time the user was asked various questions ...... (but he never came back on )

1. If everything is loading O.K. and you see the track on the screen after it loads, check to see what device you are using to play the audio files. When in Sound Editor, click on TOOLS and on the drop down menu click on PLAYBACK DEVICE. Is it set to the right device for your computer ? (Sound card, on-board audio chip etc.).

2.when you hit play does the bar go across looking like it's playing but just no sound or does it just sit there at the 0:00 time?

Maybe you could answer them, to help us, help you. (give us as much detail as you can, we have no idea of what you are doing..........are they mp3 files, if so were did you get them from etc, etc......)

I wouldnt recommend upgrading until you get your problem solved (you may have the same problem on EMC 8).

You would have to purchase the "whole thing",............you may qualify for a discount , check the main Roxio page for further info on that.

If everything is loading O.K. and you see the track on the screen after it loads, check to see what device you are using to play the audio files. When in Sound Editor, click on TOOLS and on the drop down menu click on PLAYBACK DEVICE. Is it set to the right device for your computer ? (Sound card, on-board audio chip etc.).

Frank....

Weird Frank,I don't have that choice.Maybe it's cuz I only have 1 sound device enabled on my machine.Anyways,Jude when you hit play does the bar go across looking like it's playing but just no sound or does it just sit there at the 0:00 time?If it's moving make sure down in the mix editor that layer 1 isn't muted and one of the other layers active.

Oops,I was trying to get an image showing the tools menu,sorry

Well Terry, that might be my fauly that you don't have that option on your Sound Editor. I say ythat because I was on my desktop computer that has version 7.1.1.189 not ver. 7.5. I checked my notebook computer that has ver 7.5 and it doesn't have that option either. However, I am wondering if that is because I have a dedicated sound card (Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS) on my desktop computer and have on-board audio chip on the motherboard of my notebook. Just a thought. I can check that very easily on my desktop by changing the BIOS Setup to use the on-board audio chip, which it has. The notebook does not have a dedicated sound card so I can't check it from the notebook.

The only options that are on the ver. 7.5 Tools are:

Add remove marker

Add New Track

Insert Silence

---------------------------

Track Detection

Fading and Volume

Clean Up Audio

Effects

Home

------------------------

Options

Anyway, as long as the main computer addio sound is not muted and the Sound Editor program sound is not muted, then one should here whatever is playing when the play icon is hit.

Frank......

Forgot something again Terry. I can change the BIOS Setup to onboard audio but I forgot that I also have to open up the case and change a pin setting on the motherboard. Well, I didn't want to go to all that trouble so if anyone is running EMC 7.5 and has a computer that is using the onboard audio chip, I would appreciate checking to see what the TOOLS menu has options for in the Sound Editor program. Just to see if that option is is there just for dedicated sound cards. Thanks :)

Frank.....

No biggie Frank.I wonder if it's because the onboard sound and the sound card are both available.I don't have the onboard sound enabled on my machine.

I agree with your statement about hearing the sound.I'm just wondering if it's even trying to play at all.

Archived