My Edited Mpgs Have Quality Degradation

Litvak

Question

Hi,

When I pull an ms-dvd recording into the MyDVD application in MediaCenter10, it converts the file to mpg as an initial step. If I then simply burn a DVD, the DVD looks great on any DVD player in the house. If, however, I edit the mpg (take out the commercials) the resultant DVD looks blurry and distorted on any player. Does anyone have a workaround to this problem. It's 100% repeatable.

Thanks,

Litvak

10 answers to this question

I don't have any PC with MediaCenter but all of the DVD's I have ever recorded on my DVD Recorders have never displayed this behavior…

Unlike others I have no reason to revert to other programs to do the job when the tools exist within the Suite!

I would like to know exactly what is done after edits in VW? I suspect your are doing an Output As and creating a lower quality file???

Correct procedure would be to edit in VW and do a File Save. Then open MyDVD and Add the VW dmsm file.

I have determined that it is a field order problem,
How did you do that? I ask because all NTSC camcorders and TV broadcasts (analog and digital 1080i) use the exact same field order. As far as I know, all analog TV capture cards will also use the same field order. Think about it - why would they change it?!

The ONLY time Top field is used first in NTSC is for progressive scan which MyDVD does support. Just go to Project settings.

Not sure what you're problem could be. I record cable shows weekly for sister on my XP Media Center and burn to DVD. The quality is excellent.

---

Are you PAL? If I remember correctly, PAL is Top field first. Make sure you have set the Project correctly! NTSC or PAL

Wow, thanks for all the comments. I'm a newbie so I really appreciate it.

ggrussel - The comment "I have determined that it is a field order problem" was a quote from another post. My last post says "Here are excerpts from another thread." The description in that thread of what the problem looked like is exactly what I've seen. I have no idea how he determined that "it is a field order problem." When I preview the edited mpeg in MyDVD it looks fine, but when I burn it to a disc and play it in a standalone DVD player there is really noticible motion distortion.

Beerman - Thanks for the tip on VideoRedo. How well does it automatically detect commercial boundaries?

malatekid - The only application I was pulling up in MC10 was MyDVD. I brought up MyDVD, selected "Add New Movie" and pointed to the dvr-ms file from Microsoft Media Center. That brings up a dialog box that informs you the file must be converted to MPEG. After the conversion, I select "Edit Movie" in MyDVD and cut out the commercials manually by "splitting" at the manually selected commercial boundaries and deleting the commercial sections. Then I select burn. That may be a retarded way to remove commercials, but I don't know any better. I'm kind of new at all this.

Jim_Hardin - I followed your instructions and it worked! Instead of editing directly in MyDVD, I edited in VideoWave and saved the result as a dmsm file. I imported the dmsm into MyDVD, added chapters burned a disc, and viola - no motion distortion.

Cheers,

Litvak

Hi,

Yes, it works every time! I'm a happy camper.

Grandpabruce, I guess I called it a "workaround" because previously I owned Sonic MyDVD, which didn't have VideoWave and didn't have this problem.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Cheers,

Litvak :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Hi ggrussell,

I had the same thought - gee VW looks exactly like the editor in MyDVD. So I guess MyDVD simply fires up VW when you select 'Edit Video.' The real difference was the creation of the dmsm file. I don't see that my earlier approach created that file (unless it was a temp file that MyDVD deleted). I'm going to pull in another DVR-MS file tonight and edit it to make sure the workaround is repeatable. The original problem was a hard failure. I'm not really capable of analyzing the underlying cause. If you have any suggestions on figuring out what happened, like dumping some headers or something, let me know how to do it. I'm just happy that it worked.

Thanks,

Litvak

:rolleyes: Hi ggrussell,

I had the same thought - gee VW looks exactly like the editor in MyDVD. So I guess MyDVD simply fires up VW when you select 'Edit Video.' The real difference was the creation of the dmsm file. I don't see that my earlier approach created that file (unless it was a temp file that MyDVD deleted). I'm going to pull in another DVR-MS file tonight and edit it to make sure the workaround is repeatable. The original problem was a hard failure. I'm not really capable of analyzing the underlying cause. If you have any suggestions on figuring out what happened, like dumping some headers or something, let me know how to do it. I'm just happy that it worked.

Thanks,

Litvak

Using VideoWave is NOT a workaround. It is the way it supposed to be done. Using MyDVD for editing, could be considered a workaround to bypass VideoWave.

Well nobody posted a reply to my question, but I believe I found the same problem explained in detail in an old post in another forum. Here are excerpts from the thread:

-------------------------------------------------------------

OK, problem. When I create a DVD with Roxio MyDVD, it looks awful on TV, but OK on computer. There are serious motion artefacts. I have determined that it is a field order problem, but can't understand why. Not surprising that there are motion artefacts!!

Video, as taken on a camcorder and shown on TV, is interlaced. For instance, the electron gun will draw all the odd-numbered horizontal lines down the screen, then come back and draw all the even-numbered lines. This data is captured and processed as two separate "fields". Two "scans" or "fields" will make up one "frame". Therefore PAL TV runs at 50 scans/second, which produces 25 frames/second.

I cannot find any button anywhere in MyDVD to adjust field order. How come it is Lower Field First going in, and Upper Field First coming out? If I import a DVD-compliant mpeg, that MyDVD does not have to process, the result is OK. This is hardly a satisfactory workaroud though. My complaint is, if I import some video into MyDVD and process it for DVD burning, the field order gets reversed. It comes out as Upper Field First. I didn't ask for that and it should not happen. It gives serious blurring and distortion around any moving object.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So my new question is: “does anyone know how to adjust the field order in MyDVD.” If you use Microsoft MCE (either XP or Vista), then you may have purchased Roxio MyDVD specifically because it can convert the Microsoft MCE format (DVR-MS) to mpeg2, which can then be edited. That's why I picked it over other popular editors. But what good is the editor if you can’t burn an edited DVD that plays without distortion on standalone players?

I’ve downloaded a couple of demo mpeg editors. I’m going to see if they will create an edited file that doesn’t have the motion distortion.

Cheers,

Litvak

Archived