Burner Wont Recognize Dvd`s

Ron _D

Question

Hey guys i hope you can help me out. I am a first time user of EMC10. My dell dimension E510 came with sonic installed and i liked it. I am having a problem with my burner. It will recognize and burn cd`s. When i try to burn a dvd or use tools to check disc info the drive says no disc. I have down loaded the firmware, I have deleted the filters in the registry, I ran the reccomended Dell test and everything checks out ok. My burner is a hl-dt-st-dvdrw gwa4164b. I have tried to use dvd-r, dvd+r, and dvd+rw and to no avail. I have so many coasters here it isn`t funny :rolleyes:

5 answers to this question

Nowhere in your post have you mentioned what you are trying to burn to a DVD. Are you trying to create a data, music or video DVD? What program from EMC 10 are you using to burn? Also be aware that since th program came with your PC, it is an OEM version and will have several features disabled.

That burner seems to have lots of problems. Do a google search on "gwa4164b" and read some of the posts; maybe some will apply to your problems.

Is the EMC 10 program in addition to the Sonic installed software?

:lol: Hey Guru thanks for the advice! I did do the google search and realized the burner should have been replaced by Dell 2 years ago. I am going to put a new burner in and see what happens....

Before you toss out that burner, did you check with the Dell Support website to see if they have any software/firmware updates for that burner?

Many DVD burners require firmware updates to recognize the newer DVDs.

Hey guys i hope you can help me out. I am a first time user of EMC10. My dell dimension E510 came with sonic installed and i liked it. I am having a problem with my burner. It will recognize and burn cd`s. When i try to burn a dvd or use tools to check disc info the drive says no disc. I have down loaded the firmware, I have deleted the filters in the registry, I ran the reccomended Dell test and everything checks out ok. My burner is a hl-dt-st-dvdrw gwa4164b. I have tried to use dvd-r, dvd+r, and dvd+rw and to no avail. I have so many coasters here it isn`t funny :rolleyes:

Nowhere in your post have you mentioned what you are trying to burn to a DVD. Are you trying to create a data, music or video DVD? What program from EMC 10 are you using to burn? Also be aware that since th program came with your PC, it is an OEM version and will have several features disabled.

That burner seems to have lots of problems. Do a google search on "gwa4164b" and read some of the posts; maybe some will apply to your problems.

Is the EMC 10 program in addition to the Sonic installed software?

Before you toss out that burner, did you check with the Dell Support website to see if they have any software/firmware updates for that burner?

Many DVD burners require firmware updates to recognize the newer DVDs.

Hello again, , Yes i have spent several days investigating this burner. The latest firmware version to my knowledge is E113 which i have. I did have a surprise the other night I need to tell you about. I left a blank dvd-r (H-P)version in the drive overnight and to my surprise the disc info was showing up in EMC10 tools, disc info. I started to burn an iso file and it went maybe 5 minutes and hunp up. I guess thats some progress LOL. I have since did a complete restore on my system and still have the same dvd burn problems. I have downloaded drivers and updates for several days. I can burn cd`s all day but not a dvd insight for me i suppose!!

Archived