• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Playback Problems On Standalone Dvd Player

corke

Question

18 answers to this question

OK, folks. Thanks for the input (so far).

Here's where I stand:

I bought some TDK DVD-R discs. According to the list, TDK are supposted to be in the #1 quality category.

I tried burning a DVD and had the same problem.

I contacted Marantz, who told me that my player is 8 years old and does not support DVD's burned ona computer; they explained that the Marantz player is so super-sensitive that unless the disc is perfdect, it won't play.

This answer does not jive with the fact that I had been burning DVD's for months and playing them back on the Marantz; granted, the quality was not fantastic, and the video sometimes froze up, but it did play them.

Then HP called me back (burned on HP computer). They suggested I try burning with Windows DVD Maker. Now, I tried that; it takes the .avi file and converts it and burns to the DVD at the same time. MAJOR success. Better quality burn, virtually no freezing.

So, that leaves me to believe that the problem is/was DVD flick, which I had been ussing to convert the .avi files to DVD.

Can Roxio take an .avi file and convert and burn? If so, how?

Also, Windows DVD Burner gives me "scenes" and titling ability, which I did not see in Roxio 10.

Read post #10 again....both available in Canada here http://www.bestbuy.ca/search/searchresult....&search=KWS

Bestbuy Canada does not sell them

Also, Windows DVD Burner gives me "scenes" and titling ability, which I did not see in Roxio 10.

I think you've been using the wrong program in EMC 10.

You need to use VideoWave which allows you to detect scenes, titles, effects, and much more including custom edit the video.

Then you can open MyDVD Express or take the production into My DVD.

I use it to edit and burn from .avi files.

Here's where I stand:

I bought some TDK DVD-R discs. According to the list, TDK are supposted to be in the #1 quality category.

I contacted Marantz, who told me that my player is 8 years old and does not support DVD's burned ona computer; they explained that the Marantz player is so super-sensitive that unless the disc is perfdect, it won't play.

This answer does not jive with the fact that I had been burning DVD's for months and playing them back on the Marantz; granted, the quality was not fantastic, and the video sometimes froze up, but it did play them.

Then HP called me back (burned on HP computer). They suggested I try burning with Windows DVD Maker. Now, I tried that; it takes the .avi file and converts it and burns to the DVD at the same time. MAJOR success. Better quality burn, virtually no freezing.

So, that leaves me to believe that the problem is/was DVD flick, which I had been ussing to convert the .avi files to DVD.

Converting avi files and burning to DVD, scenes, titling etc is one of the big features in EMC 10. You could not have looked very hard or you have a OEM version with very limited capabilities.

Here's where I stand:

I was referring to the Sony & Fuji, you will note I said "both".

Did you try DVD 'plus' R discs?

My Pioneer DVD 500 is 10 years old and will not play 'dash' media without all sorts of hesitation.

It plays 'plus' media without any problem (well it will not play any DL burned media…) and bitsetting makes no difference to it.

It will not play any RW media.

Oh, TDK doesn't make any DVD media. You have rebagged media from their lowest bidder...

corke: Before jumping through all of these hoops, you do understand this is just ONE THING to try?

If you can lay your hands on a few Verbatim discs locally you would be a lot better off trying that before ordering a quantity of media and waiting a week or more only to find out it isn't the media…

This is why I never recommend the Taiyo Yuden's as a solution – lack of availability…

If neither is available locally, then pick the one you want to wait on!

One thing that works for me is to burn to an 'image file' (.iso) first and then use that file to burn a DVD.

Some players are 'picky' and tend to stop on any small burn error. By separating the rendering and the burning, you may get a better burn.

( I burn DVDs for members of a club and the variety of DVD players is amazing. I get less 'coasters' back if I use the above method.)

Or Taiyo Yudens - they are awesome too!! Haven't had a bad burn with them yet! Verbatims are also a favorite of mine!! :)

Rachel

Sorry, should also have mentioned that this problem started a few days ago; previously had no problem playing back burned DVD's on the Marantz; using the same media -- Imation DVD-R. I don't think it is the burn itself; cold it be the software? I had Nero installed also recently, then uninstalled it.

Sorry, should also have mentioned that this problem started a few days ago; previously had no problem playing back burned DVD's on the Marantz; using the same media -- Imation DVD-R. I don't think it is the burn itself; cold it be the software? I had Nero installed also recently, then uninstalled it.

No, it is the media. Imitation is… well an imitation of good media. To be fair, it is hit or miss and with low quality media, it can degrade while sitting on your shelf.

The Taiyo Yuden's are a good brand, I have yet to see one in any store I viist…

I have Nero, EMC V9, and V10 on the same XP Home SP2 system and have no problems. I don't install Nero InCd or Roxio D2D Drag to Disc programs tho.

Your media is borderline landfill media (junk). Use the disc quality check tool CDDVDSpeed in my signature below # 1 and a help file for it # 2, to check the quality of the disc. Use the disc info tool (included) for the manufacture ID (MID) and the Write speeds your drive reports for the disc. If your drive supports Booktype setting, I would use +R and set Booktype to DVD-Rom. Booktype explained.

I like RCD74 suggestion for a good DVD media, from Supermediastore.com and buy the Premium not Value . Verbatim quality is slipping! I have read reports of Verbatim Branded disc's in the US made by ProDisc in Malaysia. If you can find Verbatim locally look for made in Taiwan.

cd

No, it is the media. Imitation is… well an imitation of good media. To be fair, it is hit or miss and with low quality media, it can degrade while sitting on your shelf.

The Taiyo Yuden's are a good brand, I have yet to see one in any store I viist…

You won't Jim, Microboards Technology Chanhassen, MN is the only authorized wholesale distributor in the USA. supermediastore.com and rima.com buy from them, trust me or call them and ask 800-646-8881. :)

Taiyo Yuden has no plans to sell Retail in the USA!

cd

What brands of DVD are acceptable (good)? How about TDK?

TDK don't make media, they job it out and that is the problem! Taiyo Yuden sells/rebranded media for others also. I have seen Sony and Fuji that are Taiyo Yuden. Download the tool I suggested and look at your media. It's the only way to know but keep in mind folks who sell cheap junk media steal media ID's (MID) and put on there garbage media too. That is why I suggested the two above for Taiyo Yuden media.

cd

Archived