Dvd Menuing Confusion

gold512

Question

Hi there,

On previous version of roxio you could create just a one stage menu, now there seems to be sub menus in sub menus etc... this is confusing.

I import a 4 hour video file into mydvd and then choose the chapters. I end up with one screen with 'movie1' then inside that has another menu with chapters...

Is there any way i can just show the chapters? How can i go about creating a 'play movie' button? I want a function so that the movie can just be played instead of having to go through chapters.

Thanks.

23 answers to this question

Actually you can still add more than one TITLE on the MAIN MENU, but you can't play them in sequence. When you play a TITLE, it will always return to the main menu. Think of the MAIN MENU more of playing a single movie at a time. LIke maybe two TV episodes that you would watch separately.

If you are more likely to watch the Clips/Moives separately, then adding them on the main menu as separate buttons would work fine.

If you are more likely to watch the clips/movies in sequence or as one movie, then add all the clips like I mentioned in the other post.

You can do either.

When i do copy and paste, wouldnt this still show chapters on the first button since i am only duplicating that object?

Follow my instructions to the letter and it will work. Really. You copy the first button BEFORE editing chapters. You then 'edit chapters' only on one of the buttons and rename it Scenes or whatever.

This procedure will NOT work in version 7 because it tries copying the entire video file to a second button. Version 8 actually creates two different buttons that point to the same video file on the disc.

I woulnd't suggestion this if it didn't work. I use it all the time.

Thank goodness for this forum! That was a wonderful trick! I have had the exact same issue with the menu screen and I, too, wanted exactly what your MENU delivers. That is a wonderful piece of advice. Thanks for your input and please keep helping us newbees along!

Thanks,

Ron

actually, that wasn't my own little discovery. It was shared here by another user. If I could remember the person's login, I would give him credit. :) It was such a great idea, I keep sharing it. I keep joking that a group of us should write our own book fro EMC8. LOL

I think you are confusing main menu TITLE buttons with submenu Chapter buttons. As far as I can remember, it has always been that way.

When you 'ADD IMAGE OR VIDEO', MyDVD automatically creates a 'play' button just like the previous DVD Builder. MyDVD 8 now includes styles with TEXT ONLY buttons. Choose one of those styles and edit the text to read 'Play Movie'. See screenshot of a disc I made for my Nephew's family.

post-49-1142690673.jpg

Believe it or not, it's simple

Open MyDVD

Select a style with text buttons only. I forget which I used, but it doesn't really matter

Add your video file.

Edit text to read 'Play Movie'

Copy this button to the clipboard

Move it slightly up or to the side

Paste the clipboard back.

Edit the text of this second button to read 'Select Scenes'

Right click on the second button and 'Edit Chapters'

You end up with two buttons that point to the same video. One plays the movie. The other button takes you to the Chapter submenu.

After doing the above, you can then edit the background and background music if you want.

Believe it or not, it's simple

Open MyDVD

Select a style with text buttons only. I forget which I used, but it doesn't really matter

Add your video file.

Edit text to read 'Play Movie'

Copy this button to the clipboard

Move it slightly up or to the side

Paste the clipboard back.

Edit the text of this second button to read 'Select Scenes'

Right click on the second button and 'Edit Chapters'

You end up with two buttons that point to the same video. One plays the movie. The other button takes you to the Chapter submenu.

After doing the above, you can then edit the background and background music if you want.

I'm a real newbie to MyDVD8. I'm having a lot of problems.

How exactly do you set the menu button style to text only?

I can't seem to find where to do that.

Linda

But I only have 3 menu themes. The one that uses Text buttons is

a wedding theme. That doesn't work.

Linda

Sounds like you didn't install the content disc (or second 'content' download file). Do so, and you should have quite a few themes.

Linda - which version do you have? MyDVD Essentials only comes with 3 styles. What do you mean by the Wedding style doesn't work? You should be able to completely customize it. Change the background. Change the fonts, colors, etc. You can then save your changes to a custom 'style' that you can use later.

If you can not do any of the above, then you have another problem. The No1 problem seems to be video drivers and DirectX lately. It is imperative that both are up to date.

In the future, please start a new thread. Gets confusing when people are answering different topics in one thread. Thanks

I think you are confusing main menu TITLE buttons with submenu Chapter buttons. As far as I can remember, it has always been that way.

When you 'ADD IMAGE OR VIDEO', MyDVD automatically creates a 'play' button just like the previous DVD Builder. MyDVD 8 now includes styles with TEXT ONLY buttons. Choose one of those styles and edit the text to read 'Play Movie'. See screenshot of a disc I made for my Nephew's family.

Excuse me for being a pain but if I make various mpeg clips can I use the same procedure?

In your picture you have a button scene selection That to me means chapters within the whole movie

For me then, would my scene selection take me to my individual chapters which are independant mpegs.

I wonder if my problems are that instead of making one large movie with all my content, I am making individual movie clips that I then burn in Easy 8 as 5 seperate items.

( I use Pinnacle to edit my movies, is that allowed !! :))

I am just trying to find out how my clips can be played one after the other or by selecting which one I want to watch.

Thanks

You can use any editor you want. I have several of them.

I am just trying to find out how my clips can be played one after the other or by selecting which one I want to watch.

Try this

Open MyDVD

Select the menu style you want

Click on ADD VIDEO/IMAGE

In this dialog , select your 5 clips. Click OPEN

This adds a SINGLE button with or without a thumbnail depending on which sytle you chose.

IF the files are not in the correct order, Click on EDIT MOVIE.

You can rearrange them here. Click on BACK TO MENU when finished.

Here's the trick:

Click on the button and rename it to 'Play all' or whatever

Copy it to the clipboard (FILE/COPY)

Move it a little

Paste back the Clipboard

Rename this button "Select Scenes" or whatever

RIGHT click on this button and EDIT CHAPTERS

manually add chapter marks where the beginning of each clip is

DONE

Technically, you have two buttons pointing to the SAME video. One button will play them all. The second button will take you to a submenu where you can select any of the 5 clips.

When i do copy and paste, wouldnt this still show chapters on the first button since i am only duplicating that object?

If i select the chapters then obviously the play movie button would also then just go to the chapter screen?

You can use any editor you want. I have several of them.

Try this

Open MyDVD

Select the menu style you want

Click on ADD VIDEO/IMAGE

In this dialog , select your 5 clips. Click OPEN

This adds a SINGLE button with or without a thumbnail depending on which sytle you chose.

IF the files are not in the correct order, Click on EDIT MOVIE.

You can rearrange them here. Click on BACK TO MENU when finished.

Here's the trick:

Click on the button and rename it to 'Play all' or whatever

Copy it to the clipboard (FILE/COPY)

Move it a little

Paste back the Clipboard

Rename this button "Select Scenes" or whatever

RIGHT click on this button and EDIT CHAPTERS

manually add chapter marks where the beginning of each clip is

DONE

Technically, you have two buttons pointing to the SAME video. One button will play them all. The second button will take you to a submenu where you can select any of the 5 clips.

Thank you thank you

I think had the wrong end of the stick. I will try what you suggest. I only ever used the one menu in Easy CD 7. It appears now that the sub menu is the old one menu view.

Thansk v much for your patience.

I really appreciate it.

regards

Howard

Archived